• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve surgery 3mo.s ago - eating carbs :(

Pinky35

Okay i had the sleeve surgery on 10/3/2013 and lost a little over 40lbs so far BUT it seems u Really have to work out like a dog at the gym (which i havent) in order to Not have flabby hanging skin - in my case mainly on the inner thighs/gut and upper arm wings ugh PlUS i seem to be losing a Ton of hair and i have been making sure i take great vitamins And eating my 70grams of protein daily so in turn I've decided to start eating carbs to slow down the weight/hair loss. Does anyone know HOW bad it is to do this at this point or does it not really matter? Its not going to make my stomach bleed/leak or anything bad will it cuz i have had sum discomfort a bit too but nothing major and figured that i wud feel pain in the stomach here and there anyhow i guess idk ~ thoughts anyone pleaseeeeeeeeeeee?

Thanx Pinky :)

Ok.. here is what I know about the hair loss. I had the gastric bypass 6 months ago. I hadn't had any hair loss when I went to the 3 month check up but the nurse there (who also had bariatric surgery) told me it was a sure thing that I would have hair loss no matter what I ate it would happen. Well at 5 months it did happen, when I brushed my hair tons of hair was in the brush. No bald spots, just my hair kept getting thinner and thinner. It seems a lot better the last few days, hopefully the worst is over. I read on the internet that the hair falls out because of lack of protein. After bariatric surgery the body doesn't absorb everything we eat, and with the sleeve, the stomach can't hold much food at a time so we are lacking protein even if we are eating it faithfully. The body feeds the protein to the most essential parts of the body such as the heart and other organs. Hair is not essential. Eventually the body learns to adjust and the hair will grow back as it did before as long as the person eats his protein well and takes the recommended vitamins. As far as carbohydrates go, I was eating VERY little carbs and had the worst time going to the bathroom. Then I had a few spoonfuls of spaghetti one day and for the first time in months.. no straining! So I have relaxed a little on the carbs now, but the meat, fish etc. (protein) is always my main concern. Hope this helps.. look it up (hair falling out bariatric surgery) on the internet for more detailed info. Good Luck!!! :)

Hi Cheyenne thanx so much for taking the time to reach out to me. basically i was told yea my hair will fall out but it will come back - very vaige from the dr so im trying to deal w/ it the best i can emotionally AND using that can of spray on hair ugh cant wait to get past THIS phase cuz it sux! but thanx

As far as flabby skin goes, I think age is a big factor, young people just have more elastic skin plus how long has the person been overweight, how long has the skin been stretched out. Just my opinion. :) I'm an older person so I will be in need of plastic surgery when all is said and done, I'm sure.

Hi Cheyenne thanx so much for taking the time to reach out to me. basically i was told yea my hair will fall out but it will come back - very vaige from the dr so im trying to deal w/ it the best i can emotionally AND using that can of spray on hair ugh cant wait to get past THIS phase cuz it sux! but thanx

You're quite welcome, Pinky. That's what is so great about this forum, we can all help each other out!! :)

Like the others said hair loss happens. I would like to add that if you haven't had many carbs go slow. I found the hard way I am addicted to them. Ugg one bite and I didn't want to stop eating. Now carbs in fruit and vegetables are one thing but bread and other flour products is what set me up for a hard time. I would not slow the weight loss down, instead enjoy the rapid loss as time passes this will slow down :(. Just my opinion
Good luck

Hi Cal - yea i imagine I'll be told the same thing when i go back to the doc on Jan - I DID skip this mo. cuz its real far and they dont really do anythng when u go but weigh u and i wanted to slow things down which i know isnt right right now but hey its MY body right lol :p

Hi Pinky, hair loss is normal and the best treatment is Biotin. Check with your Dr. office to find out how much you should take. I started taking 2500 mg at three months when my hair started to fall out and took it for two months. My hair stopped falling out and has been fine since. I highly recommend you stay away from carbs, except what your Nutritionist recommends. This is not an easy journey, you have to work it, but if you do, you will lose the weight. Don't make changes to your diet without checking with the Dr and Nutritionist first.

Frank

:cool:

thanx Frank the fact is old habits die hard so there was bound to be some cheating/puking this holiday lol and yes i forgot to mention i was taking 10k of biotin daily for yrs even b4 the surgery and still gonna need a wig but thanx ;)

Hi Cal - yea i imagine I'll be told the same thing when i go back to the doc on Jan - I DID skip this mo. cuz its real far and they don't really do anything when u go but weigh u and i wanted to slow things down which i know isnt right right now but hey its MY body right lol :p

I was just offering my opinion. Sorry if I offended you in any way and Yes it is yOUR body.

CAL- U need thicker skin hun lol u didnt offend anyone so dont u get offended/upset we're all just talking here no problem. I was referring to me getting in trouble w/ the doc for my own decisions about eating carbs to slow things down when i said hey its MY body right - cuz it is, dr or not i wont just blindly do what others tell me, i use my head and do what "I" think is best for me ;)

Is your hair thinning or falling out? Mine thinned despite 60-80 gram of protein daily. I also take biotin 7,000 mcg. as recommend by the women that cuts my hair. The skin. I have lost and gained so much weight throughout the years that my skin had already lost any elasticity. When I lost, it sagged. Regarding the carbs, I would be careful. They will not help with your hair the protein will, so if you want to increase something do it with protein. A lot of us here are very sensitive to carbs. My carbs come from veggies and a little fruit. I also eat oatmeal each morning with a scoop of protein powder. I never eat carbs alone and always add some kind of protein it helps fill you and ward off the cravings. Your weight loss will slow down if you add too many carbs and I would be concerned you might not get enough protein in. This is the food plan I follow and it has worked for me. It might not for you. Talk to your NUT. Take advantage of the honeymoon phrase as the smaller you get and the further out you get the more you will be able to eat. Treat your sleeve with care don't overfill it or over time it can stretch. It will never stretch back to what it was, but it can stretch. I read this somewhere I wish I could give the person credit, but I can't remember where. Being fat is hard; WLS is hard; it is all hard. But we can do it together.

@ Kim - Hello nice to meet u - my hair is falling out so thats how its getting thin :( Ive been very strict and written down my protien intake for months now and it doesnt seem to matter the "Hair" thing is just going to happen i guess. All i can say is i always wanted to be a blonde so maybe I'll buy a wig lol. Anyhow what protien powder do u put in ur oatmeal that doesnt make it taste gross? and im shocked ur allowed oatmeal at all its pure carbs! I've lost 80lbs 3x's on Wgt watchers and im 45 now so yea my inner thighs are lookin pretty sad, NO more "bounce back" in that skin left ugh so sad :( and ur right when ive cheated w/ carbs a lot these last 2wks i havent been tracking the protien anymore cuz i didnt care - figured eh its the holidays so... hell if the friggin hairz gonna fall out anyhow i might as well have me sum goodies! AT this point i puke b4 it stretches cuz its only 4oz's. and i switched dr.s for the surgery so i dont have a nutritionist now but she was a useless kid at the other place anyhow and had an attitude no less too so whatever - so im here getting opinions and figuring it out on my own - thanx guys :D

Pinky, Most of the recommendations you are getting, particularly about the carbs are from experience. The experience that others have gone through will help you avoid the pitfalls that have caused others to fail at this WLS journey long term. Having goodies because the hair is going to fall out is self destructive in my opinion. I refuse to eat any sweets, because I know once I start, I will never stop and I'll be back to 400lbs before you know it. I understand that your hair coming out is stressful, but there will be other stressors in your life, how you handle them needs to change. In my pre surgery days I handled all stress by eating and it got me to almost 400lbs, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and bad knees. Now I try, don't always succeed, to find other avenues than food to deal with stress. Sometimes I run, walk, go outside and scream, anything but eat. When I do eat, it's always a protein bar, sugar free pudding or fruit. I really want you to have a successful and healthy WLS journey, but you need to look at food as fuel for the body and not comfort for the soul.

Frank

:cool:

How about a little levity here!

I don't have to worry about hair falling out; not a problem.

It fell out a long time ago. :)

Ralph

Ok Frank chill dude - U misunderstood. I didnt start adding carbs to my diet cuz I'm stressed over my hair falling out lmao i did it to slow down the wgt loss AND hair loss which is the result of losing a ton of wgt too fast! I live alone and have no problem NOT eating carbs if i dont want to since the surgery.BTW I wud ditch the sugar free puddings or anything w/ rat poison sugar in it, it's SO bad for u and causes cancer. Also any fruit has a TON of sugar that were not supposed to be eating either, at least thats what i was told maybe cuz im only at the 3mo. mark still tho. Anyone that has been obese will always think of food as comfort for the soul - lets be real lol but it doesnt mean u cant change to new habits like I've done in the past many times. I've busted ass in the gym And on wgt watchers and lost 80lbs on my own 3times and i worked as a cook so i know whats carbs/protien etc hell i could be a speaker for WW if i wanted to at this point. Anyhow bottom line is just doing it really for anyone but No one knows ur own body better then ourselves and I feel what I'm doin is right for me at this point. I dont wanna lose a ton super fast and just be all flabby lol thats sick looking, im too young for that!

OK what I find so funny about Pinky is; No surgery type listed, No surgical date, No Goal weight, no personal information and other information regarding surgery or progress.

All I see is a lot of disparaging remarks and conflict....

This person seems to be here to create issues..

Pinky, Do NOT ask for information then criticize the responder for sharing their experience with you.

Each individual has their own experience some similar others unique.

Each surgeon has their own guidelines and recommendations. what it is WE share our experiences and sometimes what works for one may not work for another.

Common sense dictates: If there is an issue check with your surgeon, run the new suggestions by him/her to see if it is a viable option.

Just because you have had Bariatric surgery does not give anyone the right to eat what they want, when they want and how much they want.

The surgery is a tool that has to be refined to each individual.

High fats and sugars are a very toxic mix not only to bariatric patients but to the whole population.

I do hope for your sake, if you have indeed had surgery, that you are talking to your surgeon and nutritionist about your choices.

Then again it is your body, your choices and your responsibility and No One else's. Not your surgeon, not his staff's or anyone else's..

It is yours and yours alone.. You own it.

OK what I find so funny about Pinky is; No surgery type listed, No surgical date, No Goal weight, no personal information and other information regarding surgery or progress.

All I see is a lot of disparaging remarks and conflict....

This person seems to be here to create issues..

Pinky, Do NOT ask for information then criticize the responder for sharing their experience with you.

Each individual has their own experience some similar others unique.

Each surgeon has their own guidelines and recommendations. what it is WE share our experiences and sometimes what works for one may not work for another.

Common sense dictates: If there is an issue check with your surgeon, run the new suggestions by him/her to see if it is a viable option.

Just because you have had Bariatric surgery does not give anyone the right to eat what they want, when they want and how much they want.

The surgery is a tool that has to be refined to each individual.

High fats and sugars are a very toxic mix not only to bariatric patients but to the whole population.

I do hope for your sake, if you have indeed had surgery, that you are talking to your surgeon and nutritionist about your choices.

Then again it is your body, your choices and your responsibility and No One else's. Not your surgeon, not his staff's or anyone else's..

It is yours and yours alone.. You own it.

STINKER - If u dont like what i said then dont reply on my thread - I'm just being honest and wasnt nasty to anyone and sharing what im going through, THAT'S what this blog is for so... Like i said if your looking to start trouble take ur BS elsewhere no one needs your Drama!!!

STINKER - If u dont like what i said then dont reply on my thread - I'm just being honest and wasnt nasty to anyone and sharing what im going through, THAT'S what this blog is for so... Like i said if your looking to start trouble take ur BS elsewhere no one needs your Drama!!!

Once again... Your issues, your problems, your responsibility. You own..

BTW I will respond to your negative, nasty and condescending posts as long as you are nasty to folks on this site.

STOP acting like a troll....View attachment 732

Back