• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Smoking

The day I scheduled my first appointment was my last cigarette but I dream about them actually thought I had really smoked one! I stayed away from my smoker friends got rid of all lighters and cigarettes and started chewing gum when the craving hit. It doesn’t work for everyone but I wanted the surgery and that out weighed the cigarettes. You can do it stay motivated and remember while your not smoking your also purging your lungs to be healthy too! Best of luck wishing you nothing but the best
Ah yes, the dreams... I got sober in May of 2016 and still have dreams that I've started drinking again. Since surgery, I've had them about binge eating too. It's such a relief when I wake and realize it was only a dream.

Congrats on the 3 weeks, I know it's tough as hell to stop! I smoked a little about 4 weeks out until after a couple of weeks of doing that literally made me sick. I would immediately vomit afterwards and just the smell of it now makes me vomit if I inhale too much second hand.

michelle, you CAN do it. The more addicted you feel, the better your chances of quitting forever. I've seen it happen many times with people who smoked up to 3 packs a day and never were without a lit cigarette hanging from their mouths.

I like cigarettes and do not like that people can't smoke in bars, that there aren't special places where smokers can hang out and smoke & yak. But I hate when smokers do it in their cars or homes with their kids exposed, or toss butts out the car window or smash them on the sidewalk. And when i imagine some teenager's little pink lungs turning black from that cigarette she's smoking to look cool, i just wanna die.

still, you really should quit, for more reasons than cancer and emphysema. my smoking habit did two terrible things to me. first, it gave me horrible wrinkles around the lips and generally aged the skin on my face. Second, it ruined my sinuses and i had to have a horrible, painful surgery to rebuild my septums (septa?). Aside from the stink on my clothes and in my hair, i tolerated them because i never smoked in the house and never smoked in my car, nor would i allow anyone else to. nevertheless, i caused permanent damage and it is one of the few things i wish i'd never done. i know how much better i'd look today and how my sinus cavities would feel if i'd never smoked. i probably subtracted 5 years from my life, even though i was never a heavy smoker.

If you think you can't do it, you need to recognize that that voice is your addiction talking to you. you don't control it. it controls you. it has power over you. it wants to kill you. it wants to keep you from being healthy and here you are, in a support group full of people who desperately want to get better and live longer.

see your doc and get pharmaceutical help if needed. or go cold turkey so you can see how painful it is to fight for control of your life. i'm rebellious and would rather offend some pious nonsmoker by lighting up than be part of the crowd who think they're so much better than me because they don't eat gluten or some crap like that. Seattle is full of phonies. But because i have damaged my body with cigarettes, i choose not to smoke (i do smoke once in a while, rarely and socially) because i don't want anyone (thing) telling me what to do.

i hope you quit. i'm on your side. Be a winner.

So I have officially quit smoking! And there are No dead bodies. The child is duct tape free and not hanging from a wall. The only thing really driving me insane is my SO is still smoking in the house. smokes before coming into the house. Needless to say, it is causing a lot of friction here. I really feel like a lack of respect and as if My say holds no value in the home. I'm really proud that iv come this far. sure iv gained a couple of extra pounds, though my PCG said that was perfectly fine that its to be expected. 5 more months till surgery -Hugs-

I have my sugeon consult tomorrow and am freaking out. I am quitting smoking tomorrow. She wanted me to quit 2/7 but I have been so stressed with the pandemic so im 100% quitting tomorrow. Do you think i will be ok for my surgery? NYS is on pause until at least 5/15. Help! I'm freaking out !!! LOL and have so many questions. I am also new to this :)

Back