• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Smoking

Im 4 years nicotine free thanks to multiple rounds of chantix & a great primary care doc.
Ask your doc for help. Most health care plans now offer 100% cessation assistance...my first chantix prescrip cost me over 300 per month.
You will never regret getting clean.
Your lungs will thank you for it.
You can do it.

I have my sugeon consult tomorrow and am freaking out. I am quitting smoking tomorrow. She wanted me to quit 2/7 but I have been so stressed with the pandemic so im 100% quitting tomorrow. Do you think i will be ok for my surgery? NYS is on pause until at least 5/15. Help! I'm freaking out !!! LOL and have so many questions. I am also new to this :)
How did it go at the dr? I know some dr's want you nicotine free for a certain amount of time before they are willing to do the surgery. I quit 1 year and 9 months ago. One of the hardest things I had done up to that point because I LOVED smoking. But like everyone, I needed to quit because it was in no way helping my health. If you have the determination to go down this path of surgery to help your health, you can quit smoking. The first month is the hardest, but it does get easier! You are doing this to become the best you. You simply need to find another outlet for your stress, a healthy way to help reduce it. Good luck!

How did it go at the dr? I know some dr's want you nicotine free for a certain amount of time before they are willing to do the surgery. I quit 1 year and 9 months ago. One of the hardest things I had done up to that point because I LOVED smoking. But like everyone, I needed to quit because it was in no way helping my health. If you have the determination to go down this path of surgery to help your health, you can quit smoking. The first month is the hardest, but it does get easier! You are doing this to become the best you. You simply need to find another outlet for your stress, a healthy way to help reduce it. Good luck!
I was only able to do my Dr visit via the phone so there was no test. He said i should be good to go- he was going to submit the paper work to my insurance. We discussed how he things bypass will be the better surgery for me. Now its another waiting game LOL. Fingers crossed!

The First Step is The Want!
I don't consider it "Quitting" it's more like Stopping! When we "Quit" something, we put a negative with it. Let's be positive and Stop Something that is a Negative!
I smoked cigarettes for nearly 20 years. I was a 2-4 pack a day smoker as well! Not Good At All!!

As Cigarette Smokers, we often find ourselves believing that it is a stress reliever.. but is it really, or is that just what we've been told??
I too, heard that all my life, and I believed it 150%! Because everytime I got stressed out to the max, I would just light one up and Sigh..
But, what if we can manipulate our way of thinking and train our minds to believe that smoking a cigarette everytime we are stressed, won't make the situation any better??
Because in reality, we will smoke a cigarette thinking that the situation will be better to handle, but it just puts more strain on us!

Think back to when you smoked your very first cigarette.. Did you really think that you would still be smoking today? Did you think that you would be "Hooked"? I don't know about you, but I didn't.
And some say that it's just a "Habit"... But is it?? I mean, say for when those of us that travel, and you're traveling in England or Australia but you are from North America and you have to drive on the left side of the road while there.. BUT you already have a habit of driving on the right side.. How do you change that habit so easily, but have a harder time to change the habit of not smoking anymore??

Like I said, you have to have The Want!
I lost My Beautiful Momma 7 months ago to Lung Cancer, 3 months into my Weight Loss Surgery Process. And trust me, I smoked like a chimney. But, watching My Momma dying made me build that "Want" to stop stronger and stronger! And I got to the point to where I wasn't enjoying it anymore. And exactly a month and a week after My Momma passed away, I went to bed a 2-4 pack a day Cigarette Smoker and woke up a Non-Smoker! I think it was a combination of a lot of things..
  1. My Momma Dying
  2. My Weight Loss Surgery
And.. 3. The Want

And today, I am Happy to Announce that I am 6 Months Tobacco Free! No Cravings! No Withdrawals! If I can do it, I know you can do it!!!

Last edited:
The First Step is The Want!... a combination of a lot of things..
  1. My Momma Dying
And.. 3. The Want

And today, I am Happy to Announce that I am 6 Months Tobacco Free! No Cravings! No Withdrawals! If I can do it, I know you can do it!!!

Congratulations Jenniferann! That was hard work, probably the hardest you'll ever do and you came out the winner!

I'm in my research phase. I also was told would need to quit smoking for at least 2 months prior to surgery. I'm working with my Dr. and will be getting the lozenges soon. Anyone had success with the lozenges? I have tried the gum and and patch in the past but nothing sticks.

My son uses the lozenges and prefers them to anything else. But he's a retread, stopping then starting then stopping.... I do that too but I don't use anything to help.

The only thing that really works for me is cold turkey. I go through a couple of days of agony, and I think that horrible pain is what keeps me from going right back. It's actually a trauma, so I keep feeling and remembering it, which sucks. But I actually am one of those people who can smoke, then quit for 10 years, and then pick it right back up again. So it's ridiculous.

If you want the surgery, quitting cigarettes is just one of those things that's going to be hard or cause trauma. Your priorities will guide you but never underestimate the power of the addictive brain. Add therapy to the mix, try to keep thoughts of smoking out of your consciousness.

And add activity, hard activity, regular workouts at the gym, and don't skip them. The body can't be physical and still smoke cigarettes. It really has to be one or the other.

In the end, I started hiking and camping. that did more to put cigarettes out of my mind than anything. And I started buying smaller clothes and hanging them up on doors and hooks on walls, which worked really well for me because I'm a clothes horse.

If you feel you need gum or lozenges, it's possible you have a bigger problem than you realize. They're just a substitute, and contain nicotine, and can be more addictive than smoking itself. Again, I would involve a therapist, preferably one who can help you focus on just one thing: addiction.

But you CAN do it. You really can. Use affirmations and fill your subconscious with thoughts of how wonderful you are, and how you deserve to be healthy in weight and stamina. I've posted dozens of affirmations here. Do a search for them by clicking the search box up in the right corner.

I'm behind you 100 percent. Make it smaller and smaller until it disappears, and make your self-esteem bigger and bigger until you believe you deserve pretty clothes and healthy food and walks in the park, etc.....

I also quit cold turkey. I cut straws into cigarette size and chewed them. Hell, sometimes I just breathed through them lol I was super freaked out about never smoking again, so I would just tell myself "I don't smoke .. Today!" It may me feel like that wasn't the end of my beloved habit. And beloved it was. But all things come to an end. You CAN quit.

As far as lozenges, they test for nicotine pre surgery, so I'm not sure how much that is going to help. Good luck.

Last edited:
I also quit cold turkey. I cut straws into cigarette size and chewed them. Hell, sometimes I just breathed through them lol I was super freaked out about never smoking again, so I would just tell myself "I don't smoke .. Today!" It may me feel like that wasn't the end of my beloved habit. And beloved it was. But all things come to an end. You CAN quit.

As far as lozenges, they test for nicotine pre surgery, so I'm how much that is going to help. Good luck.
I would never have thought about the straws. Cool idea.

The First Step is The Want!
I don't consider it "Quitting" it's more like Stopping! When we "Quit" something, we put a negative with it. Let's be positive and Stop Something that is a Negative!
I smoked cigarettes for nearly 20 years. I was a 2-4 pack a day smoker as well! Not Good At All!!

As Cigarette Smokers, we often find ourselves believing that it is a stress reliever.. but is it really, or is that just what we've been told??
I too, heard that all my life, and I believed it 150%! Because everytime I got stressed out to the max, I would just light one up and Sigh..
But, what if we can manipulate our way of thinking and train our minds to believe that smoking a cigarette everytime we are stressed, won't make the situation any better??
Because in reality, we will smoke a cigarette thinking that the situation will be better to handle, but it just puts more strain on us!

Think back to when you smoked your very first cigarette.. Did you really think that you would still be smoking today? Did you think that you would be "Hooked"? I don't know about you, but I didn't.
And some say that it's just a "Habit"... But is it?? I mean, say for when those of us that travel, and you're traveling in England or Australia but you are from North America and you have to drive on the left side of the road while there.. BUT you already have a habit of driving on the right side.. How do you change that habit so easily, but have a harder time to change the habit of not smoking anymore??

Like I said, you have to have The Want!
I lost My Beautiful Momma 7 months ago to Lung Cancer, 3 months into my Weight Loss Surgery Process. And trust me, I smoked like a chimney. But, watching My Momma dying made me build that "Want" to stop stronger and stronger! And I got to the point to where I wasn't enjoying it anymore. And exactly a month and a week after My Momma passed away, I went to bed a 2-4 pack a day Cigarette Smoker and woke up a Non-Smoker! I think it was a combination of a lot of things..
  1. My Momma Dying
And.. 3. The Want

Right on!

Back