• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

So 5 day post-op updates…FYI….TMI

Loops

If your reading this just a slight disclaimer I did say TMI in the title.

Recovery is goin well not too much pain moving around easily and not so exhausted. I have the maybe I can do this good feeling going. Need to slow down a bit taking on a bit too much too soon, but I’m a busy body. My body feels different already but the scale isn’t showing it yet, but I know surgery was recent and I shouldn’t hyper focus.
TMI approaching….
Today has been a busy day and really not focused on my recovery at all. I’ve been worried about constipation before surgery and I stressed it after surgery. I was given stool softeners at the hospital and continued on at home. Four days without a bowl movement had me concerned. Low and behold things finally start moving and now I’m constipated and it’s not going well. So all that stressing and preparing didn’t work. I’m currently trying some over the counter medication to help but if I can’t “go” then a call to my surgeon will be made.
Overall ok but am so hungry and ready for soft foods.

sorry if I over shared

You didn't overshare. You couldn't share ENOUGH about this topic.

I recently, and 12 years ago, wrote a detailed post about bowel movements after surgery. I won't repeat it, but you can look it up. In my opinion, at least in my case, I was told NOTHING about the danger and possibility of constipation. I had never experienced it in my life, probably because I grew up on a farm and our diets were complete and FULL of what we used to call "roughage." After surgery, you have to work at getting roughage, especially because you're on a liquid diet for maybe 3 or 4 weeks, in some cases.

Okay, I'm gonna drop the punch line here. V-8 JUICE. Get it. Drink it. start before surgery and include it in your liquid diet. There are SO many reasons why you should do this, starting with the intense dose of vitamins and minerals it contains. It was my secret weapon, although I didn't figure it out until weeks of constipation had assaulted my bowels.

Please, please, all you members who don't already know this, stock up on a case of the little cans and drink as much as you can stomach as you heal. Drink it slowly so it has a chance to work in both your stomach (pouch) and your large and small intestines. it's liquid vegetables, for pete's sake! What other vegetables are you taking in during the liquid phase? Most of us are lucky to choke down bouillon. and really, that increases constipation.

My constipation was so bad, you could have made a horror movie out of it. I was in the toilet a dozen times a day, at least, trying and failing over and over. the stool backed up and backed up and the pain was awful. the stool that eventually passed was huge and could not be flushed without breaking it up. Okay, that was DEFINITELY TMI.

But they don't tell you this in pre-op. At least, they didn't tell me, and I don't get the impression from the thousands of posts I've read here that it was stressed to the members here. Don't take Colase or another phony-baloney laxative. People have been having bowel movements for eons without additives. They're bad for your body.

You can buy psyllium, the inexpensive foundation of fiber laxative, at any drug store and use that instead of some dolled-up mix like Metamucil.

In recent posts, I've also stressed fiber laxative. You can have it on a liquid diet. I hope you never have to realize how much you needed it, because if you did, it might follow the nightmare of post-op constipation that made you consider going to the hospital because it just wouldn't find its way out of your body.

Stool is waste, full of horrible bacteria and spoiled food and additives that morph into other nasty stuff in your intestines. Our bodies are designed to break this down quickly and get it out. Constipation is no joke, and it's not something to take lightly.

Don't take colace or use suppositories or other chemicals that might not do what they were supposed to. Any suppositories I used came right back out the way they went in as soon as I pushed down to evacuate my bowel.

Nuff said. I hope.

Feel free to share my thoughts with your nutritionist or surgeon or doctor. Ask if what I'm saying makes sense and sounds safe. They may never have experienced the horrible after-effects of bariatric surgery, but they probably know what anecdotal evidence a myriad of patients have shared in their stories on the Internet, journals & magazines.

If your reading this just a slight disclaimer I did say TMI in the title.

Recovery is goin well not too much pain moving around easily and not so exhausted. I have the maybe I can do this good feeling going. Need to slow down a bit taking on a bit too much too soon, but I’m a busy body. My body feels different already but the scale isn’t showing it yet, but I know surgery was recent and I shouldn’t hyper focus.
TMI approaching….
Today has been a busy day and really not focused on my recovery at all. I’ve been worried about constipation before surgery and I stressed it after surgery. I was given stool softeners at the hospital and continued on at home. Four days without a bowl movement had me concerned. Low and behold things finally start moving and now I’m constipated and it’s not going well. So all that stressing and preparing didn’t work. I’m currently trying some over the counter medication to help but if I can’t “go” then a call to my surgeon will be made.
Overall ok but am so hungry and ready for soft foods.

sorry if I over shared
No such thing as oversharing with me (or anyone else on here, like Diane!) I've been struggling too, Loops. I've been using Miralax in my decaf, drinking "Smooth Move" tea I bought that (Diane, I think?) suggested. I've taken Colace, and took a stimulant lax twice with no real relief. I did do a suppository with just a little success and I haven't even had surgery yet. It's got to be like Diane said- no REAL fiber from veggies and stuff. I started a GREEN juice called Souja Mighty dozen at a cup a day. Things are definitely rumbling around (very loudly!) in there, but still nothing. Does your side hurt? My left side is painful and I know it's from the constipation. UGH!! I can't wait to get back to eating veggies again. Anyway, good luck to you. Glad your recovery is going well except for this shit (SORRY, PUN WAS INTENDED). Good luck, hun!

No way to be too TMI. We need to be real right? I honestly didn’t think I’d be having any kind of movement down there for a week or so because nothings going in. But my bariatric nurse called today, just 3 days since surgery and suggested I mix some miralax in my water or crystal light. That stuff is like a miracle for me, but no dice yet. Just loud rumblings. I’d love to just purge all the gas, I feel like I’d be 100% if it were gone, but it’s all a process right?

No way to be too TMI. We need to be real right? I honestly didn’t think I’d be having any kind of movement down there for a week or so because nothings going in. But my bariatric nurse called today, just 3 days since surgery and suggested I mix some miralax in my water or crystal light. That stuff is like a miracle for me, but no dice yet. Just loud rumblings. I’d love to just purge all the gas, I feel like I’d be 100% if it were gone, but it’s all a process right?
My nurse said the same thing. Crazy rumbling in abdomen, right? I took 2 colace caps this a.m. with nothing happening, but I s’pose there won’t be much as we haven’t really “eaten” something for a few days! Glad you’re doing ok:)

Melba, do you mean you took Colace in capsule form? My team told me capsules, made of gelatin or other substances, were a big no-no after surgery. If you have to take meds from capsules, I was told to open the caps, squeeze the powder out into a teaspoon of yogurt or some other slippery, semi-solid substance, and slowly ingest it, using plenty of saliva to do so. The federal FDA Bariatric Journal has information on that. But there are all kinds of reasons why you shouldn't use capsules. The big one is that they can get stuck in the "fingers" of the intestines and lodge there, which can lead to all kinds of problems.

As to bowel movements after WLS, this is a common complaint. Even if you're only ingesting liquid, it doesn't just stay liquid during digestion. It breaks down into its liquid and solid elements, which are present in every liquid except water.

I've said it before, many times, but urge people to start using a fiber laxative two weeks before surgery and continue for two weeks after. You want to evacuate your bowel as much as possible. There's a drink people are given prior to colonoscopy, as well, and this does an absolutely clean sweep of any substance in your bowel.

I didn't know this before surgery and boy, do I regret that. Bowel backed up for weeks and I was in the toilet a dozen times a day trying to push it down. All that pushing made it even more solid until I finally passed this huge log of bowel I had to break up into smaller pieces to flush down to toilet.

I haven't taken constipation lightly ever since. Oh god, the pain.

Metamucil. Psyllium fiber. Any commercial bowel-cleansing product you can buy in the drugstore (they're right next to the laxatives and anti-diarrheals). Enemas.

I'm serious.

Melba, do you mean you took Colace in capsule form? My team told me capsules, made of gelatin or other substances, were a big no-no after surgery. If you have to take meds from capsules, I was told to open the caps, squeeze the powder out into a teaspoon of yogurt or some other slippery, semi-solid substance, and slowly ingest it, using plenty of saliva to do so. The federal FDA Bariatric Journal has information on that. But there are all kinds of reasons why you shouldn't use capsules. The big one is that they can get stuck in the "fingers" of the intestines and lodge there, which can lead to all kinds of problems.

View attachment 5549
Oh no, not capsules. I couldnt think is a better word for them. They’re soft gels- probably the same thing tho. They didn’t say it was bad for me in this form, but I’ll clarify with the PA when she calls on Tuesday. Thanks for the advice, Diane. You got me thinking!

View attachment 5549
That’s crazy cuz the Prilosec they sent me home with is a capsule! Nothing in my paperwork said anything about taking it differently. Thank you! For sure something to ask about at my post op tomorrow!

Hi Loops, sometimes post surgery I went over a week without a bowel movement, but began a regimen of miralax 2x daily and colace, and that seems to help. Sometimes I drink smooth moves tea but I don't like the taste. It's getting better as more time passes post-surgery. Good luck and stay well!

That’s crazy cuz the Prilosec they sent me home with is a capsule! Nothing in my paperwork said anything about taking it differently. Thank you! For sure something to ask about at my post op tomorrow!

Well, I had surgery 16 years ago. Perhaps the way they do surgery now somehow allows gel caps & stuff to go down without sticking or getting stuck in the villi of the intestines. Definitely worth asking about, and please share what you find out. But think of it this way. If you're on a liquid diet, why would it be okay to "eat" a solid capsule or gelcap? I'd like to know.

Well, I had surgery 16 years ago. Perhaps the way they do surgery now somehow allows gel caps & stuff to go down without sticking or getting stuck in the villi of the intestines. Definitely worth asking about, and please share what you find out. But think of it this way. If you're on a liquid diet, why would it be okay to "eat" a solid capsule or gelcap? I'd like to know.
EXACTLY! I thought the same thing! It made perfect sense, and after looking at the multiples of pharmacy papers I was discharged with, one did say to put the Prilosec in applesauce, but other instructions did not. (And applesauce wasn’t on my list of approved intake either)
After my post op the nurse said that the Prilosec is fine for me to take as is. I think that you are 100% right in asking the question tho, and it helped educate me too! I didn’t know why gelcaps wouldn’t be ok, and your knowledge on this very possibly could have prevented me or someone else from taking a Tylenol gel cap or something. Thank you so much and I want you to know how much your experience and knowledge mean to me. As a newbie, I welcome all the info I can get. You’re awesome Dianne!!

View attachment 5549
Hi Dianne, so I asked, asked and re-asked both before surgery, the day of surgery and again with my virtual visit with the PA yesterday. She assured me (along with the others I asked) that capsules are fine and there is no need to open them up and sprinkle the contents into anything. That in the last couple years they have found that they break down and digest fine. I was especially worried as a couple of my psych meds are in capsule form. They have all said the same thing and just to monitor my moods to ensure they are working the same way. So far so good and I hope to God they're right!

EXACTLY! I thought the same thing! It made perfect sense, and after looking at the multiples of pharmacy papers I was discharged with, one did say to put the Prilosec in applesauce, but other instructions did not. (And applesauce wasn’t on my list of approved intake either)
After my post op the nurse said that the Prilosec is fine for me to take as is. I think that you are 100% right in asking the question tho, and it helped educate me too! I didn’t know why gelcaps wouldn’t be ok, and your knowledge on this very possibly could have prevented me or someone else from taking a Tylenol gel cap or something. Thank you so much and I want you to know how much your experience and knowledge mean to me. As a newbie, I welcome all the info I can get. You’re awesome Dianne!!
Ditto what Christy said, Dianne!

I was told to open the Prilosec capsule and take it with applesauce even though I wasn't supposed to have applesauce for the first 10 days. That's what I was told. However, I do take some other medication in capsule form and was told even at 3 months out from surgery, to open them and sprinkle the contents into yogurt, that the capsule won't break down. It's interesting how we receive different information.

I was told to open the Prilosec capsule and take it with applesauce even though I wasn't supposed to have applesauce for the first 10 days. That's what I was told. However, I do take some other medication in capsule form and was told even at 3 months out from surgery, to open them and sprinkle the contents into yogurt, that the capsule won't break down. It's interesting how we receive different information.
It is interesting. For my anxious brain, it's distressing too. I think in the end I just have to trust my surgery team and psychiatrist. I have an appointment with my psych next week and will ask AGAIN. This is tough on me. I just want to keep my mental health intact while navigating all this post-op information and requirements. I worry about my psych meds more than ANYTHING else as I've been doing so well for so long that relapsing terrifies me. I'll be meeting my psych often over the next several months, so that is some reassurance for me. So far my p.m. meds have still been working as I "Feel them" and get sleepy like I did before. I've struggled for years before getting on this right combo of meds for me and I'll do everything I can to make sure they keep working!

Hi Dianne, so I asked, asked and re-asked both before surgery, the day of surgery and again with my virtual visit with the PA yesterday. She assured me (along with the others I asked) that capsules are fine and there is no need to open them up and sprinkle the contents into anything. That in the last couple years they have found that they break down and digest fine. I was especially worried as a couple of my psych meds are in capsule form. They have all said the same thing and just to monitor my moods to ensure they are working the same way. So far so good and I hope to God they're right!
Yay!! I’m so happy for this good news for you!

It is interesting. For my anxious brain, it's distressing too. I think in the end I just have to trust my surgery team and psychiatrist. I have an appointment with my psych next week and will ask AGAIN. This is tough on me. I just want to keep my mental health intact while navigating all this post-op information and requirements. I worry about my psych meds more than ANYTHING else as I've been doing so well for so long that relapsing terrifies me. I'll be meeting my psych often over the next several months, so that is some reassurance for me. So far my p.m. meds have still been working as I "Feel them" and get sleepy like I did before. I've struggled for years before getting on this right combo of meds for me and I'll do everything I can to make sure they keep working!
I get this so much. It takes time and determination to find the best med combo, and messing with it at all is nerve wracking for me too. I switched to the immediate release and so far so good on one, but I think we will have to tweak some others. So glad you’re doing good and you have a greater peace about all this! High fives!

I would ask the manufacturer, since they actually know the process.

Years ago I was taking some tablet that was painted with some kind of substance designed to slow the release of the medication within. Since it passed through my digestive system so fast, I was missing out on its therapeutic benefit. After check with my doctor and the manufacturer, I found it was okay to rinsed them under a faucet until most of the paint came off.
The thing is, we tend to revere doctors and put our trust in them. But we shouldn't. I mean, when it comes to meds, all they know is what the pharma sales rep tells them, and this is often bullshit, as demonstrated by so many drugs that have been taken off the market over the last few decades.

I'm just saying, before you put something in your body, ask questions about what it is. It just makes sense.

Back