• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

So Many Unexpected Emotions

MoMo507

My VSG surgery is scheduled for this Monday 3/25 and I've become increasingly nervous, even second guessing this decision. I'm worried about the what ifs, am I doing the right thing, can't I do this without the surgery, and on and on. I'm a person of great faith but this has shaken me and the fact that I'm shaken is only adding to my frustration. Then there's the judgement - I've been told that I don't look "that fat" and should be able to do this on my own without surgery. Throw my hanger from the pre-op diet in there and you've got the makings of my emotional few days. Can anyone relate to this? Any words of encouragement? Any 20/20 words of wisdom from someone who's been through this? Thanks everyone!

I think most doctors would advise you not to have the surgery unless you felt 100% sure. It is irreversible.

However reading about it just now it sounds like a very good alternative. The only downside I can see is that it is possible for you to gain all the weight back unless you deal with your eating disorder.

Here's the pros and cons list:

Advantages
Restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold
Induces rapid and significant weight loss that comparative studies find similar to that of the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Weight loss of >50% for 3-5+ year data, and weight loss comparable to that of the bypass with maintenance of >50%
Requires no foreign objects (AGB), and no bypass or re-routing of the food stream (RYGB)
Involves a relatively short hospital stay of approximately 2 days
Causes favorable changes in gut hormones that suppress hunger, reduce appetite and improve satiety

Disadvantages
Is a non-reversible procedure
Has the potential for long-term vitamin deficiencies
Has a higher early complication rate than the AGB

Source: ASMBS

So your last-second panic, causing you to doubt everything, is something you really need to pay attention to. Personally, I could not wait for the day I had my surgery. I was excited, relieved, elated, hopeful, looking at the future, knowing I was going to be saved from Death by diabetes.

If I were you I would call my surgeon and tell him or her exactly how I feel. I know that in some cases it is possible to postpone, rather than cancel, the procedure.

There are a few members here who are having their procedures in April. I haven't heard any of them say they are rethinking it.

You may end up getting a lot of opinions from us, but honestly, we cannot advise you because we don't know you and we don't know how you feel about the future and the new body you will have in the new diet you will have to stick to for the rest of your life.

Have you experienced the jitters or anxiety on any other big threshold decisions of your life? I understand that sometimes people get the Jitters before they get married, but I didn't. Both my marriages end in divorce oh, but I was sure of my decision to marry!

How much do you trust yourself about making every decision in your life on a daily basis? I think you really have to ask yourself that question. But in the end, you really need to talk to your surgeon. Every single Medical website that talks about Bariatrics urges you to tell your doctor everything.

Either way, good luck.

Thanks so much for your feedback! I am really excited about the surgery but at the end of the day surgery IS a big deal and I think a little anxiety is to be expected. I'm a single Mom and the thought of not waking up from the surgery is SCARY, but the thought of my daughter losing me from being unhealthy is scary too. I'm actually feeling much better today and am ready and prepared for my big day on Monday! Still hungry, but not necessarily hangry lol so that's improved too . Thanks again!

Momo507- It is good to know you are feeling better. I underwent my gastric sleeve surgery 29 hours ago. If you asked me last week how I felt, it would be the same as you did. I was so anxious and doubtful. We have our own journeys and no one goes into this with the same story. I read something on this board that changed my perspective last week. In talking about backsliding and gaining the weight back, someone asks themself, "...did I risk my life for this candy bar?"
That's what this is all about, risking a life to saving a life. We have to be thoroughly ready to say goodbye to our old life choices and dive into the new ones. Good luck to you!!

MoMo507-I feel much better than I thought. The laparoscopic incision areas are sore, but manageable. Sipping liquids is hard to manage since I was a gulper prior to the operation. How small can a sip be? I am cranky from not sleeping much in the hospital. Nothing unexpected. Maybe I'll learn more in a couple days. Thank you for asking!

3 days post-op and I'm barely getting in the protein and liquids I thought I would. Now that all the anesthetic and pain meds have worn off, I have a couple laparoscopic incisions that really hurt. The doctor said he met up with some scar tissue from my laparoscopic hysterectomy from 7 years ago and they will hurt more.
But really, the actual discomfort and overall issues do not match everything I imagined.

Congratulations, Tex. I assume you are following the diet your surgeon and/or nutritionist gave you. You've been here a little while so I'm guessing you've read a lot of people's recovery stories. I have a feeling we are going to learn a lot from you, as soon as you get past the initial annoyances from the surgery. 3 days post op feels really soon to me. Hang in there and let us know how you're doing as often as you can.:cool:

I hope you everything goes fine monday. Don't feel to bad you are not the only mother going through this. My date is not set just yet but it is coming soon. I have 4 boys. The oldest is 13 years old and the youngest is 5 years. You have to have faith that god is watching over you and the doctor are doing the best they are trained to do. They was trained to do these surgeries with out worry. There will be other people there to too help out. They are not going to let anything happen to you. Just remember you are doing this for a reason and that reason matters more than anything to you. Keep that in you sights and that fear will go away. I have my days but I push them away because I have 4 boys that are running and playing and I want so badly to be able to do stuff with them. Keep your head up.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement! Tex, how are you feeling now, any better? Pain getting any easier? My surgery was pushed to this Thursday instead of tomorrow. I'm still in good spirits and feeling positive about the surgery.
Hi Momo- Thanks for asking. I am 6 days post-op and the pain from the incisions is gone. I haven't experienced any nausea at all. Watching my husband eat flavorful foods doesn't bother me like I thought it would. I'm feeling optimistic so far.

Hi all! I had a successful surgery on Thursday and I spent my first night at home last night. The first couple of days I questioned what I'd done, the pain and overall feeling was so intense but I asked for a different medication regiment and that definitely helped. I completed a successful swallow test on Saturday morning to ensure no leakage and was discharged 3 days post op. I left the hospital yesterday feeling good, knowing that I made the best decision for myself! The bloating/gassiness is my biggest complaint but moving around is super important to combat that. Don't overdue it, take your time and ask for help. I'm so incredibly blessed to have a support system that has rallied around me and my daughter. Prior to surgery I was freaked out that I'd be hungry, but post op the idea of just drinking a bottle of water is daunting lol. My body is in a delicate state and I will respect it and treat it as such. I'm going to attempt a shower today, which I'm looking forward to... So funny how you appreciate the little things, showers and passing gas lol. Thanks everyone for the support! Texnoble, how are you holding up darling??

Hi Momo-You sound like you are doing great! Is the swallow test common? I never heard of it. Today is my two week anniversary. I am a little down. I lost 17 pounds in the 2 weeks pre-op and only 4 pounds in the two weeks post op. I have my first post op appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I haven't been physically active and that will have to change. Food still isn't an issue at all. Getting the water down is still a problem. Keep us posted Momo! Best wishes to you.

Texnoble don't worry you will get on track. You have to think you have been recovering. Take it easy on your self. Start slow so you do not hurt your self.

I feel like a dud just sitting around lol, but I have to remind myself what my doctor told me which is that it is now my full-time job to heal. This is a journey and I should remember to embrace ever moment. I haven't been nauseous just experiencing constant abdominal gurgling, so I've been taking an antacid to combat that.

So you are ready to get moving that is your problem. You should keep your self busy. Do you have anything that you can do that you enjoy?

Back