• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

So Many Unexpected Emotions

I had my 2 week follow-up with the doctor. He just brushed off the depression, fatigue, dehydration and constipation as all being normal. He said that I can get off the liquids and start soft foods. I immediately had a scrambled egg. I'm trying to up my water and activity level. At 2 weeks he said I can resume my pool exercise class. That was good news! After this appointment I feel more excited and a step closer to feeling normal.

that is good. The way you was feeling was normal. It was in all the papers I got about the bypass surgery. I am glad that you get to progress in your diet and you are able to begin to move more. congrats. have fun with you class.

My VSG surgery is scheduled for this Monday 3/25 and I've become increasingly nervous, even second guessing this decision. I'm worried about the what ifs, am I doing the right thing, can't I do this without the surgery, and on and on. I'm a person of great faith but this has shaken me and the fact that I'm shaken is only adding to my frustration. Then there's the judgement - I've been told that I don't look "that fat" and should be able to do this on my own without surgery. Throw my hanger from the pre-op diet in there and you've got the makings of my emotional few days. Can anyone relate to this? Any words of encouragement? Any 20/20 words of wisdom from someone who's been through this? Thanks everyone!

Hello there. I'm probably going to have gastric sleeve in the next 6 months. I read where you had your surgery :). When I first read this I was thinking you and I were the same. You were scared. I'm scared almost to a panic state. I do suffer from anxiety and panic disorder and that's what is making me soooo nervous. It's a flight/fight response to the "this is forever" type thing. How did you overcome it? I know I need this surgery. I cannot do it on my own. We've all tried and eventually we all gain weight back. I would just love to be under 200 pounds again. I am worried about that tiny stomach. I'm worried about feeling sick and vomiting. I'm worried about being able to drink enough coffee in the morning. I worry about not being able to drink enough water after exercising in the heat. Silly I know but those are some of my worries. On the flip side, I am over "big eating". I'm over "throwing down" at buffets. You should see me at the all-you-can-eat shrimp at Red Lobster. I can shut the place down. I'm 50 years old. I weigh 225 right now and of course take the high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds. I have sleep apnea. If I can get past the nerves, I can do it.

Hello there. I'm probably going to have gastric sleeve in the next 6 months. I read where you had your surgery :). When I first read this I was thinking you and I were the same. You were scared. I'm scared almost to a panic state. I do suffer from anxiety and panic disorder and that's what is making me soooo nervous. It's a flight/fight response to the "this is forever" type thing. How did you overcome it? I know I need this surgery. I cannot do it on my own. We've all tried and eventually we all gain weight back. I would just love to be under 200 pounds again. I am worried about that tiny stomach. I'm worried about feeling sick and vomiting. I'm worried about being able to drink enough coffee in the morning. I worry about not being able to drink enough water after exercising in the heat. Silly I know but those are some of my worries. On the flip side, I am over "big eating". I'm over "throwing down" at buffets. You should see me at the all-you-can-eat shrimp at Red Lobster. I can shut the place down. I'm 50 years old. I weigh 225 right now and of course take the high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds. I have sleep apnea. If I can get past the nerves, I can do it.

I am about to have my surgery. I have anxiety depression and panic attacks. You have to make sure you really want it. If you want it bad enough you will push your self to fight for it. I am at peace with the surgery. I am on my pre op diet now. I will be going to the hospital on the 6th of May. I am only 33 about to be 34 at the end of May. I weigh 573 now. I really do not have no health problems. So the doctors are amazed by how healthy I am even though I am so over weight.

Back