• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

So What Happens Next????

Motiv8ed

Hello everyone, well I haven't had surgey yet but we actually submit thursday, now i've been on this journey for almost eight months and i've gotten the cardiologist clearance, due to some heart and blood pressure issues, i've done the phsyc eval already gotten blood work done ive been to seven support groups had all my visits with the dietician and nurse practritioner......what i am curios about is what comes next after submission is there more test that need to be done is there a long wait??? just wondering what to expect so if someone could help me that would be great.....Not to mention that i have to wait for approval before i can even see the surgeon uuuugghhh just anxious is all....

Last edited:
Hi Motiv8ed, like the pen name:) I can't think of any other tests, it sounds like you named them all. If you have submitted everything to the insurance company then the rest is up to them and their policies, once they give you clearance then you meet with the surgeon and then they line out the time frames for you and it usually involves a period of time on a liquid diet to help shrink the liver and for some quick weight loss. I cant remember if your insurance company had a waiting period for you but I think I had read some of your other posts, but some insurers require so many days/weeks/months on a supervised diet but if you have done that then it should go fairly quickly, relatively speaking, you have already waited 8 months. Good luck let us know when you hear back. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

My insurance company required 6 months of nutritionist appointments before you could submit for surgery approval. I completed all that plus my blood work, sleep apnia testing, ultrasounds of legs, ekg and a whole lot of other tests that my doctor requires(they are very, very thorough) and after completing all that they submitted my case to my insurance and I was approved within a few days. Now I am doing my 2 week fasting before my surgery date which is March 7th. Usually when you have completed all that your doctor requires and you are submitted for approval it only takes a few weeks between submission and surgery date. Good Luck!

@ Tom and Aly thanks for the input, yeah i've been on a supervised diet the whole time, and now they have had me on something called the liver reduction which only consists of protien, non starchy veggies 1% milk, jello and peanuts, and they also required that i be smoke free for eight months which i have done, that's why we didn't do the paperwork after 6 mos. but in all it's been worth it cause it's given me the oppurtunity to get to know and familiarize myself with the procedure and talk with people who have actually done it... which is also beneficial so i thank you Tom and Aly for your insight and will defently keep you posted..... Sincerely, Motiv8ed :D

Last edited:
Motiv8ed-It looks like you're well on your way and only need insurance approval. Don't get discourged by the wait. Some insurance groups drag their feet. I was told it would take up to 8 weeks for a reply and it ended up taking 24 hours so you just can't tell. If you find yourself getting anxious try reading the paperwork from nutrition class so that you become well acquainted with the meals plans, vitamin requirements and other information. Start making a list of questions to take with you for your visit with the surgeon. It's easy to forget something if you don't wite it down. Before you know it you will have approval and a surgery date!

has anyone on here have Medicare as your insurance? no one has given me the answer to this main ? does medicare require any kind of documented weight loss supervised by your Dr. before they approve you? Going through the Dr appt and test but still no answer about diet. anybody out there had this experience???? Thank you for your help!

has anyone on here have Medicare as your insurance? no one has given me the answer to this main ? does medicare require any kind of documented weight loss supervised by your Dr. before they approve you? Going through the Dr appt and test but still no answer about diet. anybody out there had this experience???? Thank you for your help!

I have Medicare. They required very little supervised diet documentation. My Dr. sent in notes from my office visits which showed that she recommended me to lose weight. Keep in mind that Medicare requirements vary from state to state so your requirements may be different than mine were. Your best bet is to call 1-800-MEDICARE and ask them what they require. Another thing you can try is to have the insurance cooridinator from your surgeon's office call Medicare to find out exaxtly what is required. The cooridinator is the expert in this field and should know what is required.

Motiv8ed-It looks like you're well on your way and only need insurance approval. Don't get discourged by the wait. Some insurance groups drag their feet. I was told it would take up to 8 weeks for a reply and it ended up taking 24 hours so you just can't tell. If you find yourself getting anxious try reading the paperwork from nutrition class so that you become well acquainted with the meals plans, vitamin requirements and other information. Start making a list of questions to take with you for your visit with the surgeon. It's easy to forget something if you don't wite it down. Before you know it you will have approval and a surgery date!
Thanks Pat.... you definately have a good idea about the reading i am so anxious and i know you know this feeling all too well i am just sooooo excited i know well i hope they approve mine pretty quick too so i can get on the losers bench with all of you, oh yeah almost forgot i'm down another 10.5 lbs. YIPEEEEE :).....

yes i do and it didn't take long to get my surgery set-up i will be going in nov 1, 4 day's away. yes they did want record's that u have tried to lose the weight on ur own or with diet pill's. i had that all covered, before i went to the dr. and like i said didn't take but a matter of day's i have only been doing this since july and after i moved home to iowa.

Back