• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting to change my mind...

mama0297

So I've been thinking, I haven't even been to the orientation (my second one), and here I go again starting to dwell on nonsense things. Today I was at Burger King (that's bad enough) and how I enjoyed myself with my husband and child. I started thinking how I will not be able to enjoy myself after surgery. Yeah, I know, pathetic! I am willing to not go to surgery, so that I can continue to go to restaurants! I thought about this site and how everyone is doing well and happy with their choice. Then, I thought about my diabetes, since I had to take insulin, and how I HATE that. Then after that, I thought about living longer and how great that would be for myself and my family....(and how I would save money NOT eating out, LOL)! I guess I am just venting, I do know the right thing to do is the WLS! Has anyone had these same thoughts before surgery or does this make me a bad candidate? Just to add...I even had a nightmare that I was turned down for surgery and I woke up extremely upset! I hope I am not being obsessive about it, I just am contemplating the seriousness of this and how much my life will change! Obviously, I am more of a pessimist (although I like to think I am more of a realist, again, LOL).:confused:

Oh btw, I noticed that everyone on here has a beginning weight, it would be great to put height in just to kind of know where we stand...for example, my weight at 5'8" is 275#, this is not the same as someone who was 5'2". I guess that it just would help to relate to each other, as someone my height has different issues, than, say, the 5'2" person. Just adding my two cents...take it with a grain of salt, haha!

So I've been thinking, I haven't even been to the orientation (my second one), and here I go again starting to dwell on nonsense things. Today I was at Burger King (that's bad enough) and how I enjoyed myself with my husband and child. I started thinking how I will not be able to enjoy myself after surgery. Yeah, I know, pathetic! I am willing to not go to surgery, so that I can continue to go to restaurants! I thought about this site and how everyone is doing well and happy with their choice. Then, I thought about my diabetes, since I had to take insulin, and how I HATE that. Then after that, I thought about living longer and how great that would be for myself and my family....(and how I would save money NOT eating out, LOL)! I guess I am just venting, I do know the right thing to do is the WLS! Has anyone had these same thoughts before surgery or does this make me a bad candidate? Just to add...I even had a nightmare that I was turned down for surgery and I woke up extremely upset! I hope I am not being obsessive about it, I just am contemplating the seriousness of this and how much my life will change! Obviously, I am more of a pessimist (although I like to think I am more of a realist, again, LOL).:confused:

Oh btw, I noticed that everyone on here has a beginning weight, it would be great to put height in just to kind of know where we stand...for example, my weight at 5'8" is 275#, this is not the same as someone who was 5'2". I guess that it just would help to relate to each other, as someone my height has different issues, than, say, the 5'2" person. Just adding my two cents...take it with a grain of salt, haha!

I agree that height would be a nice thing to add to the info. You might like to make a suggestion to the Forum moderators to add to the list of questions.

You don't have to give up Burger King forever. Once your initial time is finished and your off liquids and eating real food, then you can eat restaurant food if you are careful how you do it. My surgeon says nothing is off the table for me to eat. The tummy will be tiny and only hold 2 or 3 ounces after surgery. The rule he has is don't stretch your tummy. Stop when you are full. Eat 2 bites and you'll be full. Take the rest home and you can make 2 or 3 more meals from it. Buger Kings meat is broiled and add some lettuce and tomato and its a healthy meal. For a long while I couldn't eat bread because it would make me sick. Recently I have been doing okay with it. Even so I dont eat too much of it. Cut most of the bun off your sandwhich. The thing you need to remember is to eat slowly and chew chew chew. When I go to McDonalds I have a great salad with chicken breast and tomato. At Cracker Barrel I love their broiled fish with carrots and green beans. I can't eat it all even now at 9 months out I only eat til I'm full and thats about one fourth of the meal. Then I take the rest home. The rewards of eating small amounts are fantastic. You rule the food dont let the food rule you.

Cheyenne

Hi. I understand you questioning your decision. You can have other means of enjoyment other than or surrounding food. It is a lifestyle. The surgery can be beneficial in so many ways. Not only in how you look but better movement and just feeling better to enjoy life. With this said, my surgery was two years ago and I can not be released until I can move on to real food. Something happened that I cannot get past the step above liquids except for a couple of things. I do try but the feeling like glass ripping my insides is to much pain to bear but I still try. I vomited from right after the surgery April 3, 2012 to the second week in January of this year. Now that I'm not doing that unless iI eat something sweet, I still think I made the right decision. I don't want this to be a downer I just wanted you to have all info possible. I've gained back and not liking it. Maybe it has already stretched but I stay hungry all of the time. I never feel any satisfaction from my limited menu, but life is wonderful and I'm certain of one thing, without it I would not be here now. Take your time to make sure. Trust your gut ( no pun ) instincts, that may be the Holy Spirit trying to tell you something. There is one man that has the same complications I have, but would do it again. Stay positive. My likes and Smiley's do not work but sending you lots of them

Not sure why, but I can't "like" these posts, so Thank you for your responses. I think I was just venting from nerves. The pessimist, um, I mean realist, in me sometimes speaks louder than necessary. Cheyenne, you're right, I can go to restaurants just not eat like a pig (yay)!

Not sure why, but I can't "like" these posts, so Thank you for your responses. I think I was just venting from nerves. The pessimist, um, I mean realist, in me sometimes speaks louder than necessary. Cheyenne, you're right, I can go to restaurants just not eat like a pig (yay)!

Well the good news for me is that after a few bites I feel so full that I don't want to eat the whole meal. I really do feel super full like I ate a Thanksgiving feast, so it's not hard to stop eating. Before the surgery I always finished every bite on my plate because I was raised that way. Waste not want not. Of course I still feel that way so I take it home for later on. It really isn't hard at all for me. I used to eat very fast and now I try to eat very slow because it gives my brain time to register that I truly do feel full.

It took me 10 yrs of indecision to finally decide to have the surgery and I just wish I would have done this years ago. It was the best decision of my life.

Think it all through carefully. You have to be committed to eating high protein and cutting back on carbs and fats. Good Luck to you.

Cheyenne

Yet another chance for me to show all the accomplishments since my surgery. More importantly, I was also hesitant back in 2009. I finally made the decision to do it in 2013. I haven't looked back since that day. Yes, your way of life will change. Eating will no longer be the huge thing it used to be. Yes, you will be able to enjoy dinner out with friends. I simply have a very small portion and take home the rest for a couple more meals. Furthermore, you will not be hungry. I am 4+ months post op now and I still do NOT get hungry. Does my stomach growl and make noises once in awhile, yes. But I don't equate that to hunger. It simply isn't hunger.

Anyway, back to all the benefits:

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless

Yes, I am diabetic now I don't need any medicines. I expect my A1C will end up in the 5's without the Rx's on my next test.
No more blood pressure pills, etc., etc.,

These accomplishments as shown above have led me to a healthier lifestyle and I am loving it. As Cheyenne says, nothing is off the table as far as what you can eat; just that you are eating small portions now and for the rest of your life.

As to clicking on "like this post", first you have to sign in then you can like a post.

Ralph

Thank you again, dancinbr! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments! I hope you realize how inspirational you are! I do realize all the good benefits of WLS, I just have some anxiety issues (among many others) that seem to get in the way. Like I said before, I have been only new to the optimistic side of life! Today, I feel great and confident that surgery is what I want and need. Go figure, I am a scatter-brain too!

Btw, I am signed in and can't "like" these posts....weird!:p I don't see my ticker either, ahhh where is my ticker!?!? lol

Thank you again, dancinbr! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments! I hope you realize how inspirational you are! I do realize all the good benefits of WLS, I just have some anxiety issues (among many others) that seem to get in the way. Like I said before, I have been only new to the optimistic side of life! Today, I feel great and confident that surgery is what I want and need. Go figure, I am a scatter-brain too!

Btw, I am signed in and can't "like" these posts....weird!:p I don't see my ticker either, ahhh where is my ticker!?!? lol

I would send a message to the webmaster of the site and ask for help.

You should be able to like posts if you are signed in. Have you checked your entire profile to make sure everything is set up correctly?

Oh I just checked my notifications.

I see that you have checked likes this post on a few posts, so it must be working.

one way to look at this is to list things that you can do no vs after surgery. My list
Before surgery
eat and feel guilty I couldn't run and play

After surgery
run a 5k
eat healthy
Bike 30+miles
keep up with a toddler
take the baby down the slide
wear cloths from any store (even Victoria secret )
move around without pain
get in and out of small cars
fasten the seat-belt in the backseat of the truck
climb a ladder
sit in those scary plastic lawn chairs lol
tie my shoes
paint my toe nails
keep up with the dog when we are out for a walk
hold a drink cup or phone on the car seat while driving
cross my legs without leaning
sit in the chair with the hubby
lay a baby on my lap (before the kid would lay on my stomach)
run up and down stairs
keep pace with tour group
run to get out of the rain
dance in the rain with the kids
get on the floor and back up without help
workout
ride any ride at the fair without worry of not fitting
know every seat-belt will fit without a problem
sleep without snoring
the list keeps going but the point is to focus on things you can do instead of the one thing you will give up (over-eating)
good luck

Back