• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

struggling with food, water, protein

Karyn

hi. I am 5 weeks post-op from sleeve surgery and I can't eat. I hate everything. menu is still limited at this point however I cannot eat cream soups, cream of wheat, yogurt, pudding. I like broth a little bit. I've had to go to er for fluids and now i'm feeling a warm feeling when I lay down in my esophagus.

has anyone else struggled post-op?

You have my sympathy, everyone reacts differently to the surgery. I had nausea every time I ate, well into my fourth month, it has subsided a good deal but occasionally I still have a problem. Hard protein is such a chicken and steak are impossible for me, so I go for cheese fish or an occasional egg. Heartburn is also an issue for me so I have large containers of antacids at home work and in the car.

I don't think what you are describing is not that unusual you are adjusting to your new plumbing and it may take awhile. Look on it as an adventure where you have to search out food that appeal to you. Your grocery costs are down so you can look at better quality foods in smaller portions, that has been my tack. I eat lobster tail and smoked salmon more often that I ever had, and it make sense, one tail equals two meals. Search and you will find many good things that make sense. But you may have to wait until your body is ready.

In the mean time go easy, broth is fine, stick to what you can tolerate. You won't die of starvation. You and your body will eventually catchup to one another.

Thanks for the reply! I have acid reflux and it's crazy painful so I won't be having tomato soup any longer. Dr. has me on nausea meds 3x per day but I don't think it helps... maybe it does. I'm so confused to be honest. I agree, I do have to get used to my new plumbing.

Monday I will be at week six post-op. I think then I can have more food I don't like like cottage cheese and eggs. I would love to have a slice of American or Swiss cheese!!! Even a thin slice of turkey. We'll see what the doc says tomorrow. I had a dream that I was eating a slice of pizza with macaroni on it last night.

When I take Tylenol or another med I often feel like they get caught in my throat or esophagus. Have you experienced that? I hope it doesn't happen with food.

Thanks for the reply! I have acid reflux and it's crazy painful so I won't be having tomato soup any longer. Dr. has me on nausea meds 3x per day but I don't think it helps... maybe it does. I'm so confused to be honest. I agree, I do have to get used to my new plumbing.

Monday I will be at week six post-op. I think then I can have more food I don't like like cottage cheese and eggs. I would love to have a slice of American or Swiss cheese!!! Even a thin slice of turkey. We'll see what the doc says tomorrow. I had a dream that I was eating a slice of pizza with macaroni on it last night.

When I take Tylenol or another med I often feel like they get caught in my throat or esophagus. Have you experienced that? I hope it doesn't happen with food.

Try Laughing Cow cheese, its nice and soft and Swiss.

Back