• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Support and suggestions

Hello,

My name is Laura, I just went in for my Psych eval yesterday & will be going in for my nutrition appt. tomorrow. I just wanted to know if anyone who has had the bypass has any suggestions of what would work best while waiting the 6 months before surgery. I am really nervous to get this surgery, but it is definitely time for this weight to go!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Laura!
Welcome to the group!. Although I haven't had surgery yet, I am just about to have my 6th month appointment with my NP and nutritionists. Then I'm off to see the surgeon and get a surgery date. I can tell you that the time will fly by faster than you think it will. I recommend studying all the information you can about the surgery, the diet, anything you can get your hands on. It has definitely helped for me to not feel so nervous. If you have a local support group start attending those meetings as well. Unfortunately I don't have one nearby where I live. Ask tons of questions on here. There are some really great people on here who can help you. Soon you will be at your surgery date! Hang in there and good luck with your journey!

Thank you! My co-worker had the bypass in Oct & my cousin had the sleeve done a week after my co-worker. they both have different stories. I wanted to get all of the info that I could. I would be interested to know how your surgery goes! Good luck with your new journey!

Hello,

My name is Laura, I just went in for my Psych eval yesterday & will be going in for my nutrition appt. tomorrow. I just wanted to know if anyone who has had the bypass has any suggestions of what would work best while waiting the 6 months before surgery. I am really nervous to get this surgery, but it is definitely time for this weight to go!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Laura,

WELCOME to the Forum!!!! It's definitely normal to be nervous about surgery. We all have been there. Time will fly by.. but to keep yourself busy for the 6 months before surgery, get on this Forum several times a day. Read everything you can find online about the surgery. Go to utube and watch videos. Linney who is a member of this forum has successfuly lost a substantial amount of weight and has made quite a few videos that are designed to help newbies and people who are on their weight loss journey. Watch them and you will learn a lot! You can click on the video links on the forum's link BLOGS at the top of the page... You can browse online at the clothes you will be wearing soon. You don't want to buy a whole lot of clothes too soon but a shirt or pants a size or two smaller will be a reality very soon after surgery.

Good Luck to you!!! Hope that you will become an active member of this forum. :)

Cheyenne

Thanks!! I think looking at potential clothes will be the most fun! I'll have to keep reordering new uniforms at work, sucks we have to pay for them! I'm excited about the change to come!! How far into the surgery are you?

Thanks!! I think looking at potential clothes will be the most fun! I'll have to keep reordering new uniforms at work, sucks we have to pay for them! I'm excited about the change to come!! How far into the surgery are you?

Laura, I had my surgery almost 8 months ago. I've lost 100 lbs since my surgery. I also lost 34 lb during my 6 months supervised diet for insurance before my surgery. I still have about 120 lb to go to hit my goal weight. I chose to keep wearing my clothes I wore at my heaviest until recently. They had stretch waistbands and I wore them even though they were very large. I finally broke down and bought some new clothes recently because I was tripping on the pants which got longer as I lost weight (less width of me to hold them up) also the waist bands were drooping down on my hips. I bought 4 pair of jeans ( couldn't wait to fit in jeans again) even though they are stretch waist bands. Also bought some colorful flannel plaid shirts I sometimes use as jackets when I go out and some blouses and tee shirts. I bought some nice new athletic shoes to wear with my new stuff. At my heaviest I used to wear all black all the time trying to make myself look smaller. Now that I'm in the 200's I can feel at ease wearing some color, I even bought a light blue pair of jeans. How long this stuff will fit me is anybody's guess but when I put this stuff on and it's falling off me then I'll happily buy some more new clothes. Lol

Cheyenne

THAT'S AWESOME WORK!! I know it's bittersweet for you & probably more self confident too. I can't wait to be doing all of that. I will be looking for a 24 hr low key gym after work. I need to go ahead and get myself into the new eating habits before the surgery. I love this forum! I hope we can keep each other motivated

Laura,

All good advice above.

You will do fine.

The surgery is a life changing event. It will give you a huge jump start to getting that weight off and getting you back to a healthy life.

I was fortunate. I didn't have to go through this 6 month diet to get approved. Nevertheless, several people who have already posted here gave you excellent advice. The time will fly by. The surgery will happen and you will be on your way to a new successful, healthier and happier life.

Ralph

Hey, another Laura! :) Welcome! Don't worry, the time before surgery will go faster than you can imagine. It's only been two months since my surgery, but it feels like a lifetime ago.

Hey Laura.

Thanks! I am just getting so excited more and more as the days go by. Have you adjusted very well with lifestyle changes? So crazy, I think that the name Laura has to be followed by Le something. lol

That's true, lol; I've encountered mostly L and A middle names.
Yes, I think I'm adjusting well. I have a good idea of what to eat and what not to eat (I don't tolerate sugar well at all) and I've got my portions figured out, although I still measure and weigh everything so I can record it. Exercise is so much easier now. Actually, everyday life is so much easier now! I'm amazed at how much better I get around and I'm thrilled to be wearing clothes I've owned for years but never been able to wear. You have a lot to be excited about, just take it one day at a time. :)

Awesome! I am joining a gym again so that it won't be so hard to get motivated after surgery. I am also going to purchase this cookbook that I saw on Amazon.com called, "Weight loss surgery cookbook for dummies". It's going to be hard for me planning meals because I can't cook. I really have to make time to eat what I am supposed to while I am at work, that will also be hard. Ha, I wish that surgery were tomorrow!

Both are excellent ideas, but remember that you won't be able to use that gym membership right away. I wasn't allowed to do any exercise but walking my first 2 months.
I might look into that cookbook. I never was much of a cook. That's a wee bit of a problem now that I have to cook for myself on a regular basis.

Lol Yeah that cooking for yourself is a beast. One of my co-workers is a part-time personal trainer & he said he would help me with different exercises before surgery. I want to try and lose as much weight as I can before the surgery, an so does my doctors. One of my other co-workers had the bypass done in October and her doctor told her that walking was not enough & that he wanted her butt in the gym at least 3x a week. That is what I like about this forum, I get to see the different ways that each patient was told to live after surgery, no one story is the same. The doctor only had my co-worker out of work for a month and a half, I'm just scared that I will over do things if I return that early; only time will tell.

Lol Yeah that cooking for yourself is a beast. One of my co-workers is a part-time personal trainer & he said he would help me with different exercises before surgery. I want to try and lose as much weight as I can before the surgery, an so does my doctors. One of my other co-workers had the bypass done in October and her doctor told her that walking was not enough & that he wanted her butt in the gym at least 3x a week. That is what I like about this forum, I get to see the different ways that each patient was told to live after surgery, no one story is the same. The doctor only had my co-worker out of work for a month and a half, I'm just scared that I will over do things if I return that early; only time will tell.
Sorry, I don't agree with your doctor's advice to your coworker. Not everybody likes the gym. If you do, great. If you don't, you'll be miserable. You need to find exercise that you will do--not exercise that will make you look for excuses to quit. Running, walking, working out at home on your own exercise equipment-- the list is endless.
I personally like the gym, mostly because it's always 68 degrees inside so it doesn't matter what the weather is like outside. All my exercise plans in the past failed because of the weather. It was just too easy to not go.

That's true, I won't go to a gym. The place would have to be empty for me to be comfortable. I have my gazelle at home and I do pilates with a dvd and a mat. I get the exercise I need and everyone's happy.

I hate going to crowded gyms with people watching me, I used to go to Curves though & I loved it! I wish that I could go back to Curves, but they are closed before & after work.

I don't either, that is why when she recommended him I declined. I chose the same team and hospital because it is low key. I'm already scared that I will sprain or strain something going back after six weeks. I see a lot of people have had gallbladder issues after surgery too, have y'all had any issues of that or any kind?

I am starting belly dancing after my next post surgery gallbladder check in a 10 days.. Several of the ladies in our support group ay Celebration took to belly dancing after the found the gym was not for them. One has turned it into a career enhancement since she works at Disney...

I am now able to walk 1.5 miles in under 5 minutes, not bad for an old heifer... It has helped increase my pulmonary function and endurance tremendously.

Back