• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery date July 30

Well I am on the high proetien, low card diet- I am really struggling!! Im not a meat person so that's been a struggle and I love fruits- cant have- want pretzels and cheese its- cant have- and the high protein drink Im on is ok- I am a raging witch!!! Can anyone else identify and have any recipe helps....... I just don't know if I can do thid diet til surgery........... very discouraged at this point.....:(

Hi Tammi, My surgery is July 16th and I am on day 5 of my pre surgery diet. I wish I could help you with that one, Im not having any problem with my semi liquid diet other than I have been drinking low sodium V8 as I am not a huge veggie eater. I was all excited up until this past week, and now I have been wishy washy and back and forth with the Should I's and Shouldn't I's regarding the entire surgery. Im not afraid of the surgery itself, I am second guessing myself on whether or not I am going to be able to go for the rest of my life without eating certain foods!

Everyone keeps telling me that the emotional roller coaster is normal, but I feel anything but normal about this. I just want to be healthier and look and feel better, why must it be so difficult. Ughhhhhhh!

Tammi, try Pure Protein bars, they are tasty and have lots of protein. I had to do protein shakes only for three weeks before I had my surgery. I kept focusing on my 5 year old grandson, he was my motivation. Got through it. As for if it's worth it. I'm down 160+ pounds and there are certain foods, primarily junk food, cookies, pies, candy, cake etc that I can't/won't eat. You need to look at food as what you eat to live and not that you live to eat. Giving up some foods for the chance to be there for my grandson is definitely worth it to me. What is a healthier, longer life worth to you?

Frank

:cool:

I want a longer life only if loosing this weight helps ease some of the other health issues I have and I am able to find a job and work again- I only have to do the liquid diet- 2 shakes and can still have 1 meal 2 weeks before my surgery- and I dont understand why the diet is different for everyone once they get their surgery date- I mean I know it depends on the dr- but one lady sounded like she ate normal until 2 weeks before her date then she had to go all liquid.....

Yup, each Dr sure does do things differently. Their are 3 Drs in my group and each of them do things different. My doctor is the only one in the group that does an endoscopy prior to the surgery, and he has his patients do a semi liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery (4 Boosts glucose control per day, and for dinner 4-5 oz of a lean meat. and 1-2 cups of a non starchy veggies) The other 2 Dr's have their patients do an all liquid diet for 2 days prior to surgery. Im on day 6 and the only problem I am having is getting 64oz of water in each day. Im lucky if I can get 30-40 oz in.

yeah see mine has me start the high protein low carb diet as soon as I get the date and then 2 weeks before- replace 2 meals with high protein shakes- got a good powdered one from GNC and mix it with almond milk and ad few drops coconut- and then 1 meal. then clear liquids day before diet and take milk of magnesuim...... I just don't get that why wouldn't they all have the same regimen......

Tammi, I asked that question. Each patient is different and what needs to happen in their bodies prior to surgery is different, requiring different diets and length of diet. Also each Dr is different they stick with what they've seen work. The primary thing they are trying to do is make sure the liver isn't too fatty to do the surgery. Hope this helps.

Frank

:cool:

yes it does Frank! Thanks!! I know I read in my paperwork the surgery is done behind the liver and it has to shrink so its easier to get to. I trust the dr. He has been doing these surgeries since 1960 I believe and he is one of the leading one in Orlando/Ocala area. Not much of a bedside manner but I suppose that is most drs and he is foreign.

Hello... I am new too. Just you add to this information gathering site. I was on a 1200 cal diet of real food up to three days before surgery. But I did push myself for doing detoxing, not required by program or doctor, but I wanted to be as clean inside and outside before surgery. For me, it must have been the right comination, since I almost could not tell I had gone through surgery, except for the five band aides on my tummy, I ws freaking out since I thought I was going to have three inch size bruises and a lot of pain. I turly cannot say it all was perfect, but I was lucky for the skills of the staff and doctor that worked on me. All of the classes, online blogs, book and articles helped for making really good decisions.

Back