• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Done

demarici

Hi all I had my surgery on the 21st and had my check up on the 2nd Dr said all went well. I am now able to eat cottage cheese and ricotta cheese and egg beaters. The problem is I really have no appetite. There have been days when I can't get the required amount of protein down. Does anyone have any advice. I have lost 12lbs since surgery. I appreciate any advise on how to get the protein down. BTW I had the sleeve done. Thanks Doris

Hi Doris. I am glad to hear everything went good. It sounds like you are where your supposed to be, I had the RnY but the loss of appatite and trying to get the protien in is common for both of us. I depended on protien shakes because they were packed with protien and counted as getting my fluids in, two shakes a day with two small meals gave me about 60 grams of protien a day. :cool: Tom

Thanks Tom sometimes it's a struggle to get the shakes down I get nauseous and don't push my self. I hope it gets better I have good and bad days but the dr said that's expected. If anyone has any hints to help I would appreciate it.

Thanks Doris

Doris, how is all going for you now that you have a few weeks out? What was the surgery you had, RNY, Sleeve etc.?

Sandie,

I had the sleeve I had some set backs. I had to get IV fluids because I was dehydrated and unable to get the fluids down. I was also having hard time getting the protein shakes down. I am now on stage 3 diet and am doing good. I do have an issue with one of the incision sites. It's not healing like the others did. So I'm keeping an eye on that. But I would do it all over again I have lost 28lbs since surgery and feel great. Doris

Glad to hear from you and that you are on track now. The nausea is what is scaring me but will do what I have to do and if IVs then so be it. Hope to not have that problem, not sure why some have it and some do not, nausea is probably the one thing that I hate, some people take it in stride, I do not, but is there a med(legal that is) that can be used to ease that or no ? One would think that the fluids are so important that they would prescribe something. I know in our state there is a question on the ballot about Medical Marijauna. I would think that would help but cannot do that with it being illegal AND it is not a nausea from the brain but from the actual stomach is sore and very small and swollen.

Sandie,

My doc did prescribe something for nausea which I did not need. Sometimes it is the anesthesia that causes nausea. Not all docs use the same ingredients. Sometimes when they can't seem to get the pain under control you can get nauseated too. Some pain meds can also cause nausea so they just change the medication they are using. I have only been nauseated one time in the past and I know it was the anesthesia they used and I needed two injections for it to subside. But, I had none after this surgery. If I overfill my pouch, drink too fast, drink liquids that are too hot or cold, I will get nauseated. Learned that real fast.

I was prescribed two different things for my nausea one is a patch that goes behind my ear and works for 3 days. My surgeon said some people get the nausea and some don't unfortunately I did. I'm much better now. I just learned how to breath thru it.

Back