• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

surgery in 3 days

barb H

I am so excited to start a new chapter of my life and enjoy my kids and grandkids. A lil nervous but so ready to do this..Kinda worried because I had been on shakes and water for 5 days and nothing else but have only lost 3 lbs??? Not sure whats going on, I know you are suppose to loose 10 lbs the week before surgery...anyone have this happen?

Hi Barb, Welcome. I think ten pounds is a goal, I think I lost 7 or 8 pounds, the main idea of the liquid diet is to shrink the liver to make the surgery go a little faster and a little easier for the surgeon to manuver around lapriscopically, it also helps you heal up quicker, the quick weight loss is just an added bonus to start your new chapter in life with. You have 5 more days left so it sounds like you are right on track, so hang in there and keep up the good work. :cool: Tom

Barb-You are doing fine. Everyone loses weight at different rates. Make sure you come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

You are correct, its so its easier to do surgey..well here goes, will do pre-op tomorrow and surgery Tuesday..I will let ya'all know how it goes.Thanks

Barb-I'll be thinking about you. You said pre-op tomorrow. Are you being admitted tomorrow or are you just going in for bloodwork?

well its over..all went well and I am up and walking..had a hernia repair also and doing pretty good, its all down hill from here..mimimal pain and walking really helps..barb h

Barb-Good to hear from you and happy to hear everything went well. Make sure to rest and stay hydrated and keep walking. When it's time, get your protein in. It will speed up the healing process and give you some energy.

I haven't had the surgery yet, but according to the doctors office, it'll probably take place around the end of October. We live in Florida and always go back to WV for Christmas. Do any of you think I'll have a problem (driving) going this year? If we had to, we could probably fly.

You should be OK by that time. They don't want you sitting for extended periods of time post op due to blood clots forming in the legs from sitting. Make sure to ask your surgeon though. :cool: Tom

Thanks for the information. It's encouraging. I'd hate to miss Christmas morning with the grandkids, because it's a big deal in our family. If I have the surgery before the end of the year, it'll cost $900 or less out of pocket due to medical expenses I've already accrued. If I wait until after the first of the year, it'll cost me $2,500 out of pocket. Needless to say, if I have to miss Christmas this year due to the surgery, I'll just have to miss it. I can go a few months after Christmas.

I am having an amazingly easy time after my surgery..its been 5 days and I went to church and am off pain meds and walking alot..doing great..I would do it again,,

Thanks for all the great information. I've just discovered this forum and already love it. It's great to be able to talk to people with the same weight problem as me without feeling like the Goodyear blimp.

Back