• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery in 3 weeks!!

I am new to the forum . I live out in East Pig Poop (aka Wellsboro) PA so I have to do my support group on line. My doctor and hospital are 120 miles away
but it is worth the drive!! I am so excited about my surgery on the 25th. I am supposed to start the all-liquid routine on the 11th but I am integrating the shakes into my diet now so I have only one full meal a day - the other meals are shakes. I find the shakes fill me up and I have no sense of hunger. HAs anyone tried the Green Coffee pills. They worked great before I started the shakes - but I have to check to see if it is ok to still take them.
I am 286 right now. I have been thin most of my life but I was in NYC on 9/11 and my only child Scott (age 19 at the time) was doing an internship in Washington DC (at the Embassy of Jordan!) Neither of us knew if the other was alive for 18 hours. THen they sealed the bridges and tunnels so I couldn't get out of NY for 5 days. I picked up my son in DC and we went to FLorida to my sister. Ten days later my son held my hand and said, "Mom, I have to go back to DC" I thought I'd pass out. "WHY?????" "Because if I am going to be a leader in this country I have to go back and see how the world makes peace." ANd off he went to DC wearing a gas mask to work everyday, dirty bomb scares, anthrax scares etc. I was never so angry or so proud of him, but I thought I would go insane. He was there for another 12 months and I put on over 100 pounds.
TOday this brave man is Legislative Director of a PA Senator in Harrisburg. I am so proud of him!

Now it is time to get allthe weight off. January 25th is my new "birthday" when I get a second chance at life. I am sooooo excited. All I want to do is be able to walk and dig roks and fossils.

SO that is my story. I really like this on-line support group and hope that we ALL experience success and happiness.
Best regards
Carol

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! Mine is on the 28th, so you will be a few days ahead of me :) I am also starting a modified liquid diet in anticipation of my surgery, although my doctor did not ask me to do one. What sort of shakes are you using?

Shakes

Thanks for the encouragement! I am trying ADkins right now - chocolate of course. It's tastes good and kills my appetite, but its a little watery ... but has 15 grams of protein per container. I am on my way to the store to buy several different kinds of shakes to see which tastes best. But at this point I don't care - I just want to be thin!!! I'll let you know my findings.
My best,
Carol

I wouldn't buy alot of any one type of protein powder or shake as what you make like now-you may not like after the surgery. I am glad I didn't stock up on any one kind as my tastes did change and it is a whole new world of tastebuds out there now.
Your Team will give you info on what you can have for what stage.

Carol

Carol is right. I made that mistake, now I have protein shakes that I can't stand. Since it's in powder form and they're open, I can't even give them away. Your tastes will change following surgery, so just buy small amounts. Good luck with your surgery, we'll be thinking about you.

:cool:

Back