• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery may be the only thing that saves me

jackie

I've been gaining weight a lot in the last 5-6 years. This past January I developed a rare disease from having an allergic reaction. I had battled for 7 months pain in my lower legs with holes the size of half dollars and skin literately peeling off the back of my calf. I'm healed now but at the same time I've gain more weight because of being so immobile. Now that the scars are there and holes are gone my pain is in my knees, back, hip, neck, and my eyes. I've developed an eye condition that is called Pseudotumor cerebri and is usually in obese women. I found out that medicaid will pay for the surgery on certain conditions and approval of the doctors. I want this surgery. But now I've gotten medicare with medicaid and I don't know how that will go. Plus I have one obstical to over come and its been very hard. I've tried many times to quit smoking. The doctors will not even look at me if I'm not at least 3-4 months after quitting.

Has anyone been through any of this?

tnx

I don't know where you live, but I know in NY Medicare and Medicaid pay for the surgery. It sounds like you would more then qualify. Have you tried chantax or other aids to stop smoking? If the doctors won't do the surgery if you smoke, and it sounds like you have had very serious medical issues, I think you have to start there. I quit many years ago. Just went cold turkey. It was hard, but I am so glad I did. Don't give up your life is worth it.

Hi Jacki, Welcome. It sounds as if you life depends on this surgery and it has been the same for all of us, my mom died from complications with morbid obesity and I did not want to go down that path myself. So look at it this wat, you need to quit smoking because "Your Life Deppends on IT" I know the difficulties of quitting smoking I have qut smoking and chewing tobacco and both were very difficult and both involved excess eating when I did quit, so one drawback and advantage is you may gain weight when you stop but you will be able to have the weight loss surgery to help you take off the additional weght you have gain. So go to a doctor and do what you need to do to quit, we are all here for you so "lets do this!!! OK!" :cool: Tom

Back