• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery on the 11th, excited by very nervous!

Kinny09

Hi,

My surgery is scheduled for June 11th. I have my final pre-op test on the 29th (an Upper Endoscopy) then I just have the routine bloodwork, chest x-ray and ekg right before the actual surgery in the hospital itself...It is all so surreal and I'm so excited but very nervous...I had an open appendectomy in 2009 which was very rough on me, and I was 50 lbs. lighter than I am now, so it worries me what it will be like this time...I'm in the care of a hospital and surgeon who are leagues better but that worry is still there. Things I'm concerned about with this surgery specifically are leakage from the stomach causing them to have to go back in. I know this particular surgeon is very reputable and has a great track record but still worried...I don't have to do anything major diet wise before the surgery although the nutritionist wants me to practice eating slower and separating my liquid intake from my meals by 10 min intervals, increasing it to eventually 30-45mins apart. My other worry is that I have a 2.5 year old daughter at home, and while I have a ton of help and support from my husband and mother who will stay with us I'm sure for the first week or so post op, is that I cannot lift her or have her jumping on my lap/stomach as she normally would. For those of you that have young children when you had your bypass, how did you handle this? They told me about 4-8 weeks until I can lift over 5 lbs., were you told the same?

I can only imagine your excitement to have gotten your date. When I went Monday, they said about 6 weeks and I almost jumped off the table with excitement!! As far as lifting your daughter goes....How about you look at it like this.. By not being able to lift her for 4-8 weeks, you are ensuring yourself that you will still be alive and well when she goes to prom, graduates, gets married and has children of her own. Its a short time of a small sacrifice to be sure that you will be around for a LONG time to see all of her important as well as everyday occasions. Just sit in a chair or on the couch and let her get in your lap for snuggle time. Im sure that 6-8 weeks will fly by especially since its summer time! Good luck and hang in there!

My surgery was March 5th with absolutely no regrets. I'm experiencing more energy and better health than I've had in years. My blood pressure is normal for the first time in 20+ year's. My only regret is I wish I had done it 10 years ago! Good luck and keep us updated.

I was told the same thing about no lift over 5 pounds. I have a grandson who just turned one and I know it will be hard not to pick him up. I am told by my family not to worry they will hold him up for me so all I have to do is hug him and play. Sounds like a plan to me. My surgery is on the 7th so we will be going through the process at about the same time.

I wish you luck and well wishes.

Thank you all! I'm mainly worried about the logistics of *not* being able to pick up my daughter, rather than missing doing so, if you know what I mean? I must have to pick her up at least a hundred times a day (stopping her from running across the street, carrying her here or there, etc), I think that will be even harder than the new diet I'll have to adhere to!

Kinny,

Children of that age can be amazingly understanding. I think you might be very surprised especially if she had Grandma and Daddy to fill in the gaps. Just make sure you practice before surgery teaching snuggles instead of jumping, carrying, or picking up. Perhaps she can take her naps with you and Daddy can do bedtime. Start practicing now. Good luck and we were all nervous and excited prior to our surgeries. It is totally normal. Joy

I can only imagine your excitement to have gotten your date. When I went Monday, they said about 6 weeks and I almost jumped off the table with excitement!! As far as lifting your daughter goes....How about you look at it like this.. By not being able to lift her for 4-8 weeks, you are ensuring yourself that you will still be alive and well when she goes to prom, graduates, gets married and has children of her own. Its a short time of a small sacrifice to be sure that you will be around for a LONG time to see all of her important as well as everyday occasions. Just sit in a chair or on the couch and let her get in your lap for snuggle time. Im sure that 6-8 weeks will fly by especially since its summer time! Good luck and hang in there!
you went to the doctors and they said 6 weeks?!!! congratulations!!!!

I was told the same thing about no lift over 5 pounds. I have a grandson who just turned one and I know it will be hard not to pick him up. I am told by my family not to worry they will hold him up for me so all I have to do is hug him and play. Sounds like a plan to me. My surgery is on the 7th so we will be going through the process at about the same time.

I wish you luck and well wishes.

I was told 15lbs. isn't it strange how it all differs?

Hi,

My surgery is scheduled for June 11th. I have my final pre-op test on the 29th (an Upper Endoscopy) then I just have the routine bloodwork, chest x-ray and ekg right before the actual surgery in the hospital itself...It is all so surreal and I'm so excited but very nervous...I had an open appendectomy in 2009 which was very rough on me, and I was 50 lbs. lighter than I am now, so it worries me what it will be like this time...I'm in the care of a hospital and surgeon who are leagues better but that worry is still there. Things I'm concerned about with this surgery specifically are leakage from the stomach causing them to have to go back in. I know this particular surgeon is very reputable and has a great track record but still worried...I don't have to do anything major diet wise before the surgery although the nutritionist wants me to practice eating slower and separating my liquid intake from my meals by 10 min intervals, increasing it to eventually 30-45mins apart. My other worry is that I have a 2.5 year old daughter at home, and while I have a ton of help and support from my husband and mother who will stay with us I'm sure for the first week or so post op, is that I cannot lift her or have her jumping on my lap/stomach as she normally would. For those of you that have young children when you had your bypass, how did you handle this? They told me about 4-8 weeks until I can lift over 5 lbs., were you told the same?

congratulations on your upcoming surgery! best wishes.

Hi Kinny,
I'm so glad to see someone here with little ones. I have a 2 yr old also, as well as a 7 year old. I have been having the same concerns. I will have some extra help as well for the first couple of weeks so I'm hoping it won't be so bad. And at my pre-op meeting, they said we'd would be on a 5 lb. lifting restriction for 3 weeks. So, I guess every surgeon has his own preferences, but I will definitely be asking again at my 2 week post-op appt. My surgery is just a day before yours. Maybe we can "buddy up" and compare notes. Good luck!
-Jenny

To all of you with up coming surgeries,
I know it is hard not to have no worries. I was in the same boat just before Nov. 14 last year but it is so worth it. I am about to embark on a 100 pound weight loss which takes me to a weight that i was in my early 20's. I am so happy these days to get to this point. When you just start on this journey it never seems like it will happen but it will. Now i just can't wait till it is all gone and then i can just maintain and enjoy the maintenence part. On mothers day i was asked what i wanted for mother's day and i said no plants or flower they die with my luck, my husband says they turn into tumbleweeds! Too funny so i said a beach cruiser. One like i had growing up in California red white tires big comfy seat. They all thought i was crazy they said jewelry diamonds any thing you want and i said a beach cruiser! That is what i got! I will tell you i have been putting the miles on that puppy! It has brought me so much joy! My friend introduced me to the bike route here in Lima, Ohio which goes 10 miles for the whole route and is very pretty and goes through a few parks so awesome my thanks to my good friend! Anyone need a boost or encouragement just get on here and it will be right here for you! I lived on here for a long time in the beginning and i truly can see my happy ending! Thanks to all that get on here with lots of encouragement and pep! I truly and greatful to everyone here! Thanks to all and happy summer enjoy! Michele

Back