• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery on the 14th!

Autumn Skye

Hello everyone! My name is Autumn, and my surgery is scheduled for January 14th. I've waited so long and worked so hard for this day - but now I'm getting nervous. I'm scared that I won't make it through surgery and will leave my two young children alone. I am hopeful, though, and have confidence in my surgeon. I'm excited for this new chance at life and to be able to do more things for myself and with and for my kids. Good luck to everyone who is waiting for their second chance at life! :D

WELCOME AUTUMN YOU'LL MAKE IT THROUGH TRUST ME ALL OF US FELT THE SAME WAY BEFORE OUR SURGERY TOO. GOD HASN'T BROUGHT YOU THIS FAR TO LEAVE YOU NOW, THE OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO HAVE A HEALTHIER LIFE IS JUST DAY'S AWAY. THIS SITE HAS OFFERED ME SO MUCH SUPPORT, ANSWERED NUMEROUS ? FOR ME AND ALLOWED ME TO VENT AND HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TO DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS OR CONERNS YOU HAVE. I HAD THE SAME TYPE OF SURGERY ON 9-20=12, I HAD THE SAME FEARS. AND EVEN HAD REGRETS AFTERWARDS, BUT NOW I KNOW THAT IS ALSO NORMAL, OUR BODIES GO THROUGH MANY A CHANGE AND NOT HAVING FOOD AS MY BACK UP PLAN WHEN HAPPY , SAD OR JUST PLAIN OH WANTING TO EAT AT IMPLUSE HAS TAKEN SOME GETTING USE TOO. BUT TRUST ME ONCE YOU SEE THAT SCALE GOING DOWN YOU'LL SMILE FROM EAR TO EAR. JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE HELPERS LINED UP TO HElP WITH THE KIDS BECAUSE it TAKES A TOLL ON THE BODY AND IT TAKES A FEW WEEKS TO GET YOUR STRENGTH BACK UP TO NORMAL. FOR ONE NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT MUCH DOESN'T GIVE US ALOT OF ENERGY BUT JUST THINK BY THIS TIME NEXT YEAR IF NOT SOONER YOU'LL BE ONE HEALTHY SMILING LADY WITH YOUR KIDS SMILING TOO SAYING"HEY LOOK HOW GOOD OUR MOMMY LOOKS AND FEELS" COME BACK OFTEN AND SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ,? AND JUST TO TALK THIS IS AN AMAZING ROOM FULL OF PEOPLE WHO TRULY CARE ABOUT THERE FELLOW PERSONS
TAKE CARE
dONNA

Last edited:
Congratulations on the start of your new life! It's normal to be a little scared. I am a healthcare professional, and I am a little scared too (my surgery is the 28th). Have faith, and know that this is a new beginning for you, and for your family. You will get through this.
Blessings!

Hi everyone. My surgery is scheduled for 2/5/13. I'm getting nervous as well. I've worked hard for this and I don't want anything to go wrong. Can any post-op give me some advice on how it will be the day after? Thanks.

Good Day, My name is Bree and my surgery is on Friday 01/11/13. I'm going to Mexico to have Gastric Plication....only nervous because I'm going by myself.
I wish everyone the best their upcoming surgery and look forward to hearing all the sucess stories! :)

Autumn, take a deep breath my dear! Everything will work out. With all the testing they do prior to having surgery, the surgeon wouldn't accept you as a surgical candidate if he didn't think you would make it through the surgery AND have great outcomes post-op.

Autum, I would be very worried if you said you weren't nervous or scared. It's natural to feel that way. Most everyone I've talked to or chatted with online, expressed their nervousness or fear prior to having the surgery. You will come out fine. Post op for me wasn't bad, except my mouth was drier than the Sahara Desert. I couldn't have any water until after they did the leak test, which was done first thing the day after surgery. I used a damp washcloth, to wash out my mouth and moisten my lips. That for me was the worst of it. Also I had a pain med pump, where I could press a button if the pain got bad. The only time I used it was before getting up and walking around. You'll do great and be another success story.

:cool:

Well good luck sounds like we are on the same time frame will have to compare notes as we progress.

Autumn. I would love to know how things went. I'm looking at surgery in a couple of weeks and I'm starting to freak out and worry about my 3 children.

Hi Sadymichele, I wouldn't worry about your children, as regards to the surgery. Not knowing how big they are, there will be a restriction on lifting for the first four to six weeks, depending on the surgery you have and how quickly you heal. You will be in the hospital one to three days, again depending on your surgery. After that, you may be a bit slow at first, but as the weight comes off and you get in the required protein, you will find that you have more energy to take care of your children. They are very adaptable, so relax and know that you can do this. If you provide more specifics, I can give you better information and advise.

Frank

:cool:

Sandy,

I am now 1-week post surgery, like you I was nervous and a bit scared. What got me to the hospital was the anticipation of how good I'll feel when the weight starts coming off. I don't have kids so I cannot pretend to know specifically about your concerns there. Think though of how much better you'll feel in a month, 3-months, 6-months, etc.. Within a day or so of getting home I was already feeling much better and it gave me renewed confidence in my decision.

Stay strong, this is going to be great for you and your family.

I wanr a surgery date

I have finished all my "gotta dos" now I am waiting for Medicare to approve my surgery. I am so excited to be this close but I really would like to have a firm date. They (the Dr's helpers) tell me I should know within two weeks but I hope it is sooner. I want to be ready for a change of life. I am 65 years old and wish I had done this when I was 30. I only need to lose about 60 lbs but I am so tired of carrying it around. My name is Joy and I live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. My doctor's name is Hamilton Le and I go to Integris Weight Loss Center. Is there anyone else out there with Dr. Le?

Back