• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery planned for 4 months out

Taxman

Hi, I am morbidly obese at 364 lbs and a BMI of 44.5. I have struggled with weight for many years, losing 15-30 pounds only to gain 25-40 pounds back. I retired 4 years ago, and since then have had both knees replaced, so with a target of 225 lbs, I hope that my new knees will last for 30 years!!

Taxman, when is your surgery planned for? I had my right knee replaced a year and a half ago. My surgery is scheduled for March 18, 2020.

I don'y have a date yet. The insurance company hasn't given final approval (renewal of my policy starts Jan 1, so I suspect that's when the approval will be given). My right Knee was replaced Dec 2016, and the left knee 2018. Lucky for me, no complications for either knee!

Got a call from the surgeons office yesterday. They were about to schedule me for RNY on Dec 17th. The insurance approval came in and that was the day they had open. I reminded them that it was planned for March and we had a trip planned in Feb. OOPS, we'll add you to the list for March and let you know the date when the schedule comes out.:rolleyes:

Talked with my wife, and I am going to call the surgeon tomorrow and see if the appointment for Dec is still open. If so, I am going to take it! Since I retired in 2015, I have had 2 carpel tunnel surgeries (Dec 2015) 2 knee replacements (Dec 2016 and Dec 2018) and now RNY (Dec 2019) . My son who lives at home said that I always seem to ruin my Christmas with a surgery! I think this will be a great Christmas present to myself (and it will be almost completely covered by insurance!).

First, a great week of cooking for my wife and sons next week, then the pre-op diet starts after Thanksgiving weekend. I am excited about it, January will be cold and dreary anyway, so I will be wearing stretchy pants and walking around the neighborhood on some days, and around the house on other days when it is too cold to go outside. I will be ready for our cruise at the end of Feb, and definitely ready by the start of summer to get outside and enjoy the start of my new life!!!

Talked with my wife, and I am going to call the surgeon tomorrow and see if the appointment for Dec is still open. If so, I am going to take it! Since I retired in 2015, I have had 2 carpel tunnel surgeries (Dec 2015) 2 knee replacements (Dec 2016 and Dec 2018) and now RNY (Dec 2019) . My son who lives at home said that I always seem to ruin my Christmas with a surgery! I think this will be a great Christmas present to myself (and it will be almost completely covered by insurance!).

First, a great week of cooking for my wife and sons next week, then the pre-op diet starts after Thanksgiving weekend. I am excited about it, January will be cold and dreary anyway, so I will be wearing stretchy pants and walking around the neighborhood on some days, and around the house on other days when it is too cold to go outside. I will be ready for our cruise at the end of Feb, and definitely ready by the start of summer to get outside and enjoy the start of my new life!!!
Awesome attitude. Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the date is still available!!! :)

First, a great week of cooking for my wife and sons next week, then the pre-op diet starts after Thanksgiving weekend.
THANKSGIVING one year after surgery. This is my son and his girlfriend, seated, and me in my really short skirt. I was at my aunt's house with my cousins and what I did was I took one tablespoon of each kind of food and just arranged it in a circle around my plate. Then I took a bite of this and a bite of that and when I had had enough I just sort of mashed
my food around on the plate so it looked like I had taken too much food. Fooled everyone!

Well, the December 17th opening was taken, but they put me on the calendar for Dec 2nd!!! 10 days from now I will be in recovery!! It is hard for me to get my head wrapped around all that needs to be done. We just went shopping for frozen meals and protein shakes because the pre-op diet begins right now!! I'm both excited and nervous.

Well, the December 17th opening was taken, but they put me on the calendar for Dec 2nd!!! 10 days from now I will be in recovery!! It is hard for me to get my head wrapped around all that needs to be done. We just went shopping for frozen meals and protein shakes because the pre-op diet begins right now!! I'm both excited and nervous.
That's incredible!!! I'm so happy for you.

Taxman, I know that you are going to breeze through this. You have already showed us that you are ready to start on this journey by moving up your surgery date. Originally, we were both scheduled for March. By March, you'll be finished with the post-op diet and onto the next stage. Also, think of all those pounds and inches that you'll be down, plus I know that you will be feeling a lot healthier. Although, it's normal to be nervous about the surgery, concentrate of all of the goods days and benefits ahead of you. Good luck, we'll be here waiting for your post surgery report!!!

Back