• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery scheduled for 7/29/20

Welcome! I’m midway(ish) to having my surgery. Covid has it delayed by a month or so. I am having the gastric bypass. I’ll be done with my insurance requirements by the beginning of September.
Hi my original surgery date was May 6th but of course with the covid that was out the window. I have Horizon Nj direct and had no issues with them at all. They approved me right away. I’m curious to know why do other insurances take so long.

A little about my story, I’m 38 and have always been on the chubby side even when younger. My highest weight was 235 pounds and my lowest was 139 pounds on (appetite suppressants) I gained all my weight back and more after having my first child in 2016. I have not been the same ever since, abdomen stretched out, baby weight plus regular weight and I just can’t do pills anymore. I’m at risk for diabetes and the usual health issues that comes along with weight gain and this is why I decided to have the Gastric sleeve surgery soon.

Hi my original surgery date was May 6th but of course with the covid that was out the window. I have Horizon Nj direct and had no issues with them at all. They approved me right away. I’m curious to know why do other insurances take so long.
My insurance required 180 days and 7 dietician visits plus one counselor visit. In March, my appointment was cancelled due to COVID, then my insurance changed requirements. 180 days plus 12 visits, 6 have to be counselor behavioral visits to help with the mental side of weight loss surgery. My drs office is having me do multiple appointments a month, so I’m not far behind my original 180 end date.

My insurance required 180 days and 7 dietician visits plus one counselor visit. In March, my appointment was cancelled due to COVID, then my insurance changed requirements. 180 days plus 12 visits, 6 have to be counselor behavioral visits to help with the mental side of weight loss surgery. My drs office is having me do multiple appointments a month, so I’m not far behind my original 180 end date.
I see you had way more requirements. I had to have 3 dietician visits, 1 counseling visit so I won’t turn to alcohol and that was it and of course clearances heart, lung and endoscopy before surgery.

I see you had way more requirements. I had to have 3 dietician visits, 1 counseling visit so I won’t turn to alcohol and that was it and of course clearances heart, lung and endoscopy before surgery.
Yeah, different insurances have different requirements. I also had an abdominal ultrasound to check my gallbladder (I plan on having it removed during surgery), upper GI, and I still need the EDG, but the office said that will happen closer to surgery.

Is it true your gallbladder will eventually have issues if you don’t remove it during surgery?
Not necessarily, but it is common. I already have gallbladder problems, so my surgeon was willing to remove it. He wanted the ultrasound done to prove to the insurance that it should be removed while I was already having surgery in the area. He said he could have just removed it anyways, but the insurance could have denied it after the fact.

I'm just 2 weeks post-op with a RYGB (or gastric bypass)...I had been scheduled for April 8 aaaand then - Covid caused the cancellation. I got through my insurance approvals in January (Cigna in SoCal - 4 consecutive Endocrinologist visits, 5 dietician visits, letter from psychologist, demonstrated small weight loss). For me I was figuring the surgery wouldn't be rescheduled until Sept so had my brain 'switched off' and was happy to not worry about it during Covid...then found out on Jun 5 that my rescheduled date was Jun 15 (!!!)... um WHAT? Needless to say I had to wrap my brain around the fact I went from thinking I had 3 months to just 5 days before the pre-op diet started...GULP. But I did it, got my brain re-aligned and now, voila, I'm on the other side of it! Good luck to you ladies as you prepare...stay positive and come on back with questions :)

Mine is scheduled for 7/06 i have so many mixed feelings about it. Mostly excited, some scared. All i keep telling myself is that i am doing this for me, and to be healthier for my 3 year old son, because he is really hard to keep up with.
I’ll be sending you positive vibes Monday for a smooth surgery and easy recovery. Keeping up with my kids is a big part of my journey as well. They are 11, 9, and 9. I have a mix of excited and scared emotions too. Excited, scared, anxious, and ready!

Back