• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery scheduled for 7/29/20

I’ll be sending you positive vibes Monday for a smooth surgery and easy recovery. Keeping up with my kids is a big part of my journey as well. They are 11, 9, and 9. I have a mix of excited and scared emotions too. Excited, scared, anxious, and ready!
Thank you :). I am still trying to figure out how I am going to keep him off of me after surgery. He loves his mama, and he loves sitting on my lap. He is spoiled rotten.

Hi all, I’m new here and looking to chat with others pending surgery or who had their surgery done already.
Sorry I can't help much, I'm almost 6 mos out as of 7/13/2020, I didn't want the sleeve I wanted the bypass but I didn't know the surgeon wouldn't budge until at the last minute.

I'm just 2 weeks post-op with a RYGB (or gastric bypass)...I had been scheduled for April 8 aaaand then - Covid caused the cancellation. I got through my insurance approvals in January (Cigna in SoCal - 4 consecutive Endocrinologist visits, 5 dietician visits, letter from psychologist, demonstrated small weight loss). For me I was figuring the surgery wouldn't be rescheduled until Sept so had my brain 'switched off' and was happy to not worry about it during Covid...then found out on Jun 5 that my rescheduled date was Jun 15 (!!!)... um WHAT? Needless to say I had to wrap my brain around the fact I went from thinking I had 3 months to just 5 days before the pre-op diet started...GULP. But I did it, got my brain re-aligned and now, voila, I'm on the other side of it! Good luck to you ladies as you prepare...stay positive and come on back with questions :)
Hi how was just post recovery? Any issues? I’m having my gastric bypass surgery on July 28.

I'm blessed to say my recovery has gone surprisingly smoothly...I had 3 nights in the hospital (the extra night was b/c I wanted to make sure pain was controlled and was worried they wouldn't send me home with the "good stuff"...turns out I was able to get to 1 pain pill at night after about the 3 day home and then moved to Tylenol pretty soon after that... I did make a point to do my 2-4 mini walks every day (usually about 10 min and then increased to 15) which I think really helped... I stayed pretty compliant on my liquid intake and focus on protein shakes (after about 3 days on clear liquid only)...since then I haven't had too many issues - just trying to get used to sipping not chugging and figuring out how eat at the right speed, volume and chewing...but I will say my body alerts me VERY quickly if I go too fast or fill up... that def is the part I'd say I'm struggling a bit with now as I try to move to more 'real' foods...I have lost 30 lbs tho (starting weight was 282) so being compliant has paid off... good luck as you enter pre-op dieting and getting ready for surgery! We'll be here when you're on the other side :)

Back