• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery was Monday!

mindyvitt

After two years of going through this process, insurance nightmares, switching surgeons, surgery cancelled twice due to covid, it finally happened. I am two days post surgery and I guess i didn’t expect to be in so much pain. I can’t even believe I have had this done. It’s a weird feeling. Like I am so happy and excited for it to finally be done but am wondering did i make the right choice. I know i did but did anyone else feel like this post surgery? Am I still just healing and getting over the extreme nausea? A lot of people just made these few days post op seem less intense but wanting to see others experiences. Thanks!

Every bariatric surgery is a snowflake. No two are alike. While there are many who did not have issues or much pain post surgery, there are just as many that had it. Right now, I am guessing most of your pain is probably gas pain. The best thing for it is walking and moving as much as you can to help work it out of your system. But there are other pains that you could be experiencing as well. Without looking back at other posts to double check this, I believe that most people that have pain outside of gas pain tend to start to feel normal within a couple weeks. That said, if you are feeling pain that you feel is not normal and your surgeon didn't warn you to expect it, call your surgeon and make sure he/she is aware. There is no need to suffer needlessly.

Fingers crossed this should work itself out within a week or two. Between the pain and then the lack of energy, you are on a bumpy road. But it should get better. As it does, you should start to doubt your decision less and less. The pain is temporary. The feelings you will have about yourself after the pain is gone, will last so much longer. Just keep looking to the future. :)

I was in so much pain afterwards that I regretted doing it! I thought I made a mistake. The pain was related to the gases they used during surgery, and it moved up into my shoulder area and back. It was horrible! I made sure to be as active as possible at that time, walking helped get it out of my system. It took a few days but it did end. Now, I am now heading into month 8 of post op VSG, I've lost 122 lbs. And looking back, that week of pain was worth it! Hang in there... it gets better! I promise! Best of luck, and welcome to the losers bench!

Can I ask what was your insurance nightmares? I have waited almost 2 months for my approval :( I was complete with everything in April.
I asked during my video appointment how long everything takes between last appointment and surgery, and they said in the preCOVID world it was 6 weeks. My surgeons office also said that they aren’t sending in for insurance approvals if the patient is high risk, which I don’t think you are, but it’s because then they would be extra high risk with the pandemic. I’m guessing it’s between 8 and 12 weeks now, but every drs office and insurance is different. I really hope you hear something soon!

After two years of going through this process, insurance nightmares, switching surgeons, surgery cancelled twice due to covid, it finally happened. I am two days post surgery and I guess i didn’t expect to be in so much pain. I can’t even believe I have had this done. It’s a weird feeling. Like I am so happy and excited for it to finally be done but am wondering did i make the right choice. I know i did but did anyone else feel like this post surgery? Am I still just healing and getting over the extreme nausea? A lot of people just made these few days post op seem less intense but wanting to see others experiences. Thanks!
Congratulations on your surgery and I hope you're feeling much better now. Most people have issues with the gas they pump into you to do the surgery but it just takes time and walking around to work that out.

But please listen to missdarmitage and keep you doctor in the loop about the kind of pain you're feeling.

Good morning Mindy, my surgery was Wednesday, June 3rd and I too woke up in horrible pain. My surgery was laparoscopic and my abdomen is still taut from the gas they inflated it with to get the organs out of the way. Walking is the best way to get rid of that gas. I couldn't burp the first 3 days either which made my chest hurt, but last night I started to burp and found some relief. I plan to walk around my backyard today and see if I can dislodge some of the gas. I don't regret what I have done, but it would have been nice to know going in that , "hey, you might wake up in more pain than you have ever had post surgery."

After I had my tubes tied in 2015, my dr said they pushed as much air out as they could and I had almost no pain...think I might make that request with my surgeon ;)
That is a great idea! They have little vacuum systems in ORs as well. Why can't they just suction the air out after they finish? But certainly, your surgeon did you a real favor. I hope people here will take heed and talk to their doctor before laparoscopic surgery and ask if he or she can remove the gas

This vacuum or pushing the belly before closure is an awesome idea and this is the first time I've ever heard of it. It should be standard as a surgical step in a laparoscopic procedure!

I think my OB literally pushed on my abdomen before closing up. I know it’s a different area for the surgery, but I would hope that my WLS surgeon could do the same, gently obviously so as not to do any damage. But yeah, I’m totally asking.
I'm not I'm not sure that it would have been that helpful for me but it sure could have been. The incision my doctor made was through my navel and then my tubes were cauterized. But before sticking in the cauterizing wand, I was pumped full of air. I can really relate to the people here who complain about gas pain after laparoscopic surgery because I had to lay in bed for a couple of days after that, in intense pain as the gas pushed its way through my muscles and skin. The more I think about it, the more I do not understand why this expulsion of gas isn't part of the surgical procedure! The tubal ligation was nothing. Getting rid of the gas was excruciating!

My sleeve surgery was June 10th and today is day 4.......i am miserable.......hard for me to get around, lay down, or sit for periods without intense pain from one of my wound sites. I was in tears yesterday wondering why i have done this to myself.....now it hurts to swallow water or my protein drink which i have been instructed to start today. i am hoping that all my pain will resolve itself by next week.....i am just going day to day right now.

My sleeve surgery was June 10th and today is day 4.......i am miserable.......hard for me to get around, lay down, or sit for periods without intense pain from one of my wound sites. I was in tears yesterday wondering why i have done this to myself.....now it hurts to swallow water or my protein drink which i have been instructed to start today. i am hoping that all my pain will resolve itself by next week.....i am just going day to day right now.
Hi Garner, I had my RYGB on June 3rd and I was bowled over by how much pain I woke up with. I felt horrible until about day 5, then I had a couple decent days, followed by 2 painful days. Yesterday was so bad I had to use the narcotic I was sent home with so that I could sleep last night. Today is another really good day with only mild discomfort. If I move a certain way, I seem to cause more pain but I have no complaints today. We don't realize the nerves, muscle and other tissue that has to be cut through, how many organs are handled, moved around and how rough surgeons are when you are out and unable to feel what is taking place. Hang in there, I am only a week ahead of you and I can tell you that it gets better, along with some ups and downs. A couple of weeks from now, when things are well on their way to being healed, we will discover we made the right decision. Good luck to you! Congrats on making the conscious decision to improve your life and health.

Back