• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery was Monday!

Hi Garner, I had my RYGB on June 3rd and I was bowled over by how much pain I woke up with. I felt horrible until about day 5, then I had a couple decent days, followed by 2 painful days. Yesterday was so bad I had to use the narcotic I was sent home with so that I could sleep last night. Today is another really good day with only mild discomfort. If I move a certain way, I seem to cause more pain but I have no complaints today. We don't realize the nerves, muscle and other tissue that has to be cut through, how many organs are handled, moved around and how rough surgeons are when you are out and unable to feel what is taking place. Hang in there, I am only a week ahead of you and I can tell you that it gets better, along with some ups and downs. A couple of weeks from now, when things are well on their way to being healed, we will discover we made the right decision. Good luck to you! Congrats on making the conscious decision to improve your life and health.
Thx you for your encouragement.....it's a lot harder than i thought it would be.

My sleeve surgery was June 10th and today is day 4.......i am miserable.......hard for me to get around, lay down, or sit for periods without intense pain from one of my wound sites. I was in tears yesterday wondering why i have done this to myself.....now it hurts to swallow water or my protein drink which i have been instructed to start today. i am hoping that all my pain will resolve itself by next week.....i am just going day to day right now.
My surgery was June 10th as well. It is absolutely miserable and I have found myself questioning this decision. I hope it gets better.

I had my gastric bypass one week ago on 6/15...I agree that the pain was more than I anticipated and asked to stay 1 more night in the hospital as I was worried about being sent home with mostly Tylenol and wanted to make sure I could get pain controlled...I was trying to figure out what kind of pain was it - incision pain? gas pain? is this nausea? too much organ shuffling? When I was talking with nurses on my mini walks and started understanding the gas pumped in, she also said a lot of initial pain is from that...movement helped with getting myself to pass gas and that def helped...home now for 4 days and still have pain but manageable now...I too have had moments of "um why did I do this?" but I'm trying to focus on the longer term with a "this too shall pass" mantra in my heart. good luck to you and may you pass enough gas to feel comfortable again ;)

I had my gastric bypass one week ago on 6/15...I agree that the pain was more than I anticipated and asked to stay 1 more night in the hospital as I was worried about being sent home with mostly Tylenol and wanted to make sure I could get pain controlled...I was trying to figure out what kind of pain was it - incision pain? gas pain? is this nausea? too much organ shuffling? When I was talking with nurses on my mini walks and started understanding the gas pumped in, she also said a lot of initial pain is from that...movement helped with getting myself to pass gas and that def helped...home now for 4 days and still have pain but manageable now...I too have had moments of "um why did I do this?" but I'm trying to focus on the longer term with a "this too shall pass" mantra in my heart. good luck to you and may you pass enough gas to feel comfortable again ;)
I am now 2 weeks post op and feel MUCH better.....1st weekend was the worse but after that everything got better day by day.....my biggest hurdle is definitely my own mindset and missing food in general......this is a whole new way of life, not just for me but for my family as well......hope you are doing well......the pain will surely pass soon.

Back