• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

surgery

Hope everything goes great.....beginning your new journey to a better healthier life.... I was actually born and raised in Groves Texas .....not far from you....give me a shout when you can......

ninaxxxjean will be praying for you and that you have a speedy recovery, you're on the road to a new healthier and happier you,, and you've done great so far with your weight loss already. come back when you're able and let us know how you are doing.donna

I'm Having Surgery Mid March I have concerns about it and after effects. I am hearing that I will never have a normal Meal and that glass of water will be an issue. Please Help me

I'm Having Surgery Mid March I have concerns about it and after effects. I am hearing that I will never have a normal Meal and that glass of water will be an issue. Please Help me

You will have a new normal, and the water issue is not that big of a price to pay for a healthy body that does not hurt all the time! It is some what a challenge to get in 64 oz of water, I cannot chug it like I used to. I carry a frozen bottle with me everywhere and sip it as it melts. I drink more green tea than ever before. But I can sit on the couch and watch a movie without falling asleep now. My kids used to hate to go to the movies with me, I would be asleep before the commercials were over. That is only one of the many benefits from the surgery.

ninaxxxjean I pray you feel comfort today as you start your journey to a NEW & HEALTHIER YOU, everything is gonna be ok. Happy V-day to you and your family. please come back and share how you are doing as you feel up to it.
Praying for you, Donna

Hi I read where you are concerned about water and a meal, trust me all of us went through those same issues, I too love my water I used to carry around a 52 oz cup of ice water everywhere I went, I couldn't imagine my life without a huge mug of water, well I still have my ice water with me everywhere I go but it's now the 30 oz cup from the hospital that came with a straw. I don't crave water as much as I did before surgery. I now know it's because my diabetic is under control and off a lot of my medication. AS for a meal I too was concerned that I would never be able to have a decent meal again. well thank goodness that changed too, can now eat almost anything I want and happy to say pounds have came off, still got more I want to loose, from where I was at my highest weight 3 years ago I am down 111lbs. and 65 of those pounds have came off since surgery which was 9-20-12. you are about to embark on the greatest journey of your life, new beginnings to a healthier you,I love this room I have found so much support and help, may I tell you also about another site that has helped me a lot, this lady had the surgery too(years ago) Theworldaccordingtoeggface.org FREE site she offers endless recipes and product ideas that she uses that taste great. wishing you much success.Donna

NY Tall Guy, I had Gastric By-Pass in October of 2012 and so far am down 110 pounds from my all time high. I can't tell you how great I feel. This is without a doubt the best thing I ever did for myself. You are correct, you will never eat a "normal" meal again, if you are thinking of how you are eating before surgery. I cannot eat anything close to what I ate before, but I don't really want to. Your stomach will be much smaller than before, so you can't eat as much, but you will be able to eat a normal meal of say Steak, Potatoes and Vegetables, but you will be eating the proteins first, then the veggies and if there is room, then the carbs. I'm a computer guy and I took this approach, I'm rebooting and reformatting my system. The liquid diet prior to surgery and the first six weeks after surgery were the reboot, it cleared all the bad stuff out of my system. Once I started adding real food to my diet, I made the choice to avoid pasta, breads, sweets and other foods that are not really good for me. I'm working at building new eating habits, which include eating slowly, not drinking when I eat and not taking too much food. It's working for me and I don't feel like I'm missing out at all. During the holidays, I enjoyed the food, just much smaller portions and no sweets. I still lost during that time frame. As for a glass of water, again, you will be able to drink it, just not the same way. You'll drink it much slower, but once it becomes habit, it is no big deal. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns or just want to talk. Good Luck with the surgery and keep us informed.

:cool:

Back