• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The right surgery????

Alifair

Now that I have my surgery date and going online to find out all that I can.... I am now wondering if I picked the correct surgery to have done. I'm getting a gastric bypass and wondering if I should have gone with something different. Something a bit more restrictive. I guess it is all the "what if's" that are popping in my head. Has anyone else had this thought and did you make the right decision?

Alifair-Between the sleeve and the gastric bypass the bypass is the more restrictive of the 2 surgeries. The remaining surgeries are not as restrictive but the lap band would leave you with about the same size pouch as the bypass. What was the other surgery you were thinking about having? You still have the option of changing to a different surgery so don't rush into this if you feel that strongly about the choice you made. Worse case scenerio is that you will need to get insurance approval all over again if you decide to change to a different procedure. No big deal.

Please make sure to let us know what you decide.

Well the Sleeve is Permanent slicing off of 2/3rds of your stomach so 1/3 is left, the Gastric Bypass has less than 1/3 of your stomach left, Lapband is adjustable but most can stretch the stomach over the band(not good to do) and then there is the Duodenal Switch which is not so much restrictive as it is malabsortive and NOT done in a lot of bariatric centers due to longer recovery and more nausea etc according the reading I have done. So most restrictive from my reading is the Gastric Bypass as Pat99 has said and I too wonder what you have read is more restrictive?

Back