• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Things to pack for hospital stay

Pat99

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to pack for the hospital stay? I'm not talking about the usual robe, slippers and toothbrush. I'm talking about things that will make the stay more comfortable and make the time pass faster. I do not like to be in the hospital one bit and get bored and agitated easily :eek:

I had my surgery January 17th, was in the hospital 3 days. The only thing I used from my bag was underwear. You may think you will be bored, but will probably be so medicated that you won't be able to do much. I could barely focus to text. all my textes were pretty funny..missing letters and random numbers.

Hi Pat, a lap top if you have one or one of thos other devices that get internet and puzzle books. I think I checked my email twice and did a few puzzles but I spent more time wondering the halls just because I dont like being stuck in a little room. LOL. I was pretty medicated the first 24 hours though with a pain pump. If you like to read a good book would also be good. :cool: Tom

speaking of pain pump... how would you rate the pain after surgery??? mine is scheduled for may 1st. just got the letter of medical necessity from my pcp. still have to go to my nutrition class, psych eval (next week), sleep study and edg (later on in april). hopefully after that i will be ready to go.

speaking of pain pump... how would you rate the pain after surgery??? mine is scheduled for may 1st. just got the letter of medical necessity from my pcp. still have to go to my nutrition class, psych eval (next week), sleep study and edg (later on in april). hopefully after that i will be ready to go.
I had gastric sleeve feb7th and my pain was about a 5 on 1-10 scale except when i sneezed then it was a 9!! Just remember to push the button

My pain was about a 5 or 6 for the first 24 hours but that was probably because I didn't push the pump button enough. Once I started using the pump there was very little pain unless I tried moving around in bed and of course when getting up out of bed or a chair. Once you're actually out of the bed and walking around the pain should be at an acceptable level. If you feel it's not being controlled then tell the nurse. Adjustments can be made to the pain pump meds with doctor authorization if needed. Pain was my number one worry for many weeks before the surgery but as things ended up there was nothing to be concerned about.

hi im new .i just had my surgery 3and a half weeks ago and i have 65 pounds so far....my goal is 150.. where are you at now

Good luck to you..my pain was about a 5...no big deal my surgery was 3/6/12 and i have lost 65 pounds so

I'm having my surgery on the 13th of the month will only be in the hospital over night and I was told really the only pain i will have is the from the air they fill your pouch with when they check for leaks and then a little discomfort from the tiny incisions, but i have that kind of surgery before and i didn't have any pain from it. I was also told to bring some Crystal light for the water or mio drops something to help flavor the water that will help me drink it better. I have a smart phone so I'm going to bring that i want to chat with my children. I will also bring my Bible you shouldn't go anywhere with out it ;). I think you should take anything that will help you the most, either a radio or DVDs if you room has a player, cards, books. I was told to get up and walk, walk, walk that will help get rid of the gassy pain.

Deborah

congratulations you've really lost alot in such a short time i hope i am that lucky, how are you feeling? Are you able to eat anything or just liquid shakes? I bet you feel like a new person already with such a great weight loss so quickly, please keep us posted. Love reading others sucess and can't wait to have my own.
Donna

thank u all for ur post's it has helped me out a lot, conrad's to all who have wls done i hope that i feel that good on fri, nov second. they say i will only be in the hospital for 2 day's as long as nothing happen's.

Back