• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

torn at the seams

livinlarge69

I just dscovered this site and like many have been battling weight loss and being severely overweight since I was 6 years old.
I have tired everything but, surgery with almost no sustainable results I am very large 5 11 and about 360 I was a college athlete, and still enjoy a active life hunting and fishing and cutting wood to heat our home. I am no longer young at 42 years old I feel like I have to make my decisions soon.
I have heard many comments about what someone "can and can't do" after surgery as far as physical limitations and lifestyle but they always conflict each other. Where can I seek exact answer to my questions so I can make a choice to do the WLS or to keep fighting the weight battle and die an early death. I am very serious and more afraid than anything. Do anyone know of someone I can speak with and get candid answers good bad or even just thoughts on this topic.
Thank you
Livinlarge69

Livinlarge-Welcome to American Bariatrics. This is your lucky day neighbor. I live in Redford, MI which is not all that far from Midland. I will be having my surgery in January by one of the bariatric surgeons affiliated with the St. John Providence Health Care System. I will send you a private message with the URL to their weight loss website. I don't think we can post URL's here except we are allowed only one in our signatures and I already have one in mine for a chat room for disabled people. PLEASE check out the URL I send to you right away.

You will not only find answers to some of your questions, but more importantly, you will find a page showing when and where the upcoming seminars are. You are not that far away not to consider using St. John Providence. During the seminar you will be given hand outs explaining each of the surgeries. You will also be emailed videos of the surgeries in a schematic format once you decide which surgeries you are interested in. There will be a surgeon at the seminar and also someone who can answer any questions you may have regarding insurance and financing. You will calculate your BMI or have someone help you do it. The attendance is kept to a small number of people (10-12) to make sure everyone has a chance to ask questions. The atmosphere at the seminar is very friendly and laid back. After attending you can set up a one on one consult with a bariatric surgeon. I was able to get my appointment within one week.

I think you will be surprised about how soon you will be able to return to an active lifestyle after bariatric surgery. Once the weight starts coming off you should be able to do even more than before surgery as long as you do not have any health conditions that will prevent this.

I hope this information helps you out. Please come back to the forums to let us know how you are doing.

Livinlarge-I was also able to find quite a few bariatric surgeons in Saginaw which is practically next door to where you live. Just GOOGLE "Saginaw MI weight loss surgeons" and you will find a bunch of choices. I'm sure if you call their office you can ask about seminars or make an appointment to see someone about your specific questions. Good luck to you!

Hi Livinlarge69. My name is Tom, I have had the RnY surgey and I feel great. I was off work for 30 days due to the arduouse nature of my job as a wildland firefighter. After the 30 days off I was able to slowley start getting back into my training program once I was healed up frome the surgery. I had struggled most of my life with my weight and firefighting was the perfect job to help keep it under control, as I started moving up the ladder and spending more and more time behind a desk the weight slowley started comming back and I was over 300 lbs before I knew it and working out 3 to 4 hrs a day was not reasonable. I am able to hike faster, carry more weight with less strain and keep up wuth the resouces I lead on fires, in short I am able to do almost everything I was able to do 25+ years ago when I started my job. I believe my surgery added years onto my life and I feel great. Good luck. I hope I helped answer some of your questions.

LivinLarge....I have 3 wonderful words for you... JUST DO IT

I've had the surgery. Yes, it's hard at times. Yes, it is a challenge. Am I restricted? Nope. I'm not sure what people mean by lifestyle changes unless it's possibly no more drinking alcohol. Okay so what? A small price to pay. And quite frankly, if that's the reason for not losing the weight, the person with that issue has more problems than just the weight. The addiction needs to be treated.

The surgery is a "tool", not a "fix" for the weight loss. This challenge really isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. I wouldn't trade all the problems, tears, joys, challenges, laughs, or people I've met as a result of my choice to have the surgery, for anything. And if I had to do it all again, I would.

You can't begin to imagine the freedom that comes with having this sugery. Once the weight starts dropping it comes off so quickly.

Pat's suggestion to attend a seminar is spot-on. You will have 99% of your questions answered on the spot. The other 1% they will get the answer for you.

Based on stats you can read on the web, the RNY is the most commonly performed surgery of the 3. It is done so often, that it is common-place. I've read about issues and certainly in as many support groups that I belong to, I've heard some stories. But truly, they are not the norm.

I just turned 54 and I feel 35. At 42 you are YOUNG. I do hope you have the surgery. Your limited lifestyle will open up and your limits will no longer have to do with weight...your limits will reflect your peace of mind.

Please keep us up on your decision. Take care of yourself and have a great Christmas.

Back