• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea at same time - 3rd episode

My gastric bypass surgery was Dec2010. Everything has gone really well. No complications. Loving life! But, I just had my 3rd bout of uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea. Nothing much happened, but my lower stomach and lower back are both really hurting. I'm hungry but don't dare eat. Any suggestions? Actually, I'm thinking of calling a 24-hour nurse line. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks!
GraceAngel

Grace-Welcome to the forum. Did you possibly eat a little too much or eat something that was high in fat or carbs (sugar) before each of these episodes? What you are describing sounds like classic symptoms of dumping syndrome. Did you also have the shakes and sweating when this happened? Again, dumping syndrome. If so, just be mindful of porttion sizes and fat / carb counts.

If it's not dumping syndrome then having 3 episodes since your surgery in 12/10 shouldn't be that much of a concern. If it happens more frequently I would call the surgeon's office for an appointment. You could also call the 24 hour nurse line as long as they are familiar with bariatric issues.

Hi Gace, Welcome. My first thought was dumping and my questions would be the same as Pat's. With my dumping I get the stomach blahs but really don't recall a back ache. Are you running a fever or do you have any other symptomes that are not like the classic dumping. I guess this sounds silly, but have you had Dumping Syndrome in the past? I always error on the side of caution, so if you have a 24 hour nurse line it would not hurt to call them, make sure to give them a full medical history and your vitals, heart rate, BP, temp if you can. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Pat, Tom, thanks for responding. I think for sure I had dumping once. Thought I was going to die, nope, make that twice. This last time though, I can't think what I could have eaten. Unless what I ate Saturday could dump 2 days later on a Monday night? I'm thinking maybe fiber related? Not sure. Especially since it only lasted about 20 minutes and nothing really came out (kinda crude to say, sorry!).
Anyway, will talk to my doctor. Thanks again.

Could have just been a stomach bug too? Let us know what the doctor thinks, Now I am curious:confused: I hope you are better now. :cool: Tom

Back