• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Upcoming surgery, worried about work after..

jrobbin44

I am scheduled for surgery on 1/8, then am back to school for my R.N. on 1/22. I have my first clinical on 1/23. I cannot have lifting restrictions in order to go, so am not telling anyone about the surgery. I have yet to actually push/pull/lift more than 15 pounds and have good supports. Clinical is only 1 day per week for 9 hours per day. Does anyone have feedback on how to manage this? I REALLY need to continue school right now, as well as have the surgery. :confused:

I am scheduled for surgery on 1/8, then am back to school for my R.N. on 1/22. I have my first clinical on 1/23. I cannot have lifting restrictions in order to go, so am not telling anyone about the surgery. I have yet to actually push/pull/lift more than 15 pounds and have good supports. Clinical is only 1 day per week for 9 hours per day. Does anyone have feedback on how to manage this? I REALLY need to continue school right now, as well as have the surgery. :confused:

My lifting restriction was 10 lb for a month. I think you should ask your surgeon about it just to be safe. Good Luck!!

I have a lifting/pulling restriction of 15 pounds. I can get my friends to help, just need to keep the school out of the loop until the restriction is lifted. When I discussed it w/them, they said I would be unable to do clinical b/c of liability. I guess my question was, are you able to participate in normal activities aside from the lifting restriction?

I agree with Cheyenne, talk with your surgeon. If you don't disclose and something happens, you could be held accountable. I had my surgery during nursing school as well. Took a final on Monday, surgery on Tuesday, Final on the following Monday...Clinicals resumed 2 weeks later and I was cleared by the surgeon to return.

I had weight restrictions for 4 weeks following surgery. I would not recommend doing your clinicals without disclosing your surgery. You are putting yourself and possibly others at risk, if something should happen. Like Gina and Cheyenne said, you could be held accountable and it may cost you your career. I would be open and up front with them and take a later session if you have to.

Frank

:cool:

Yes, you should be able to do normal activities aside from the lifting restriction. My restriction was 10 lbs for 3 weeks for the sleeve.

Back