• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vaccine

i Am concerned about long term effects of the covid vaccine itself. My best friend has been vaccinated and got sick for longer than 48 hours. Mostly it was like getting a cold With a cough And fever. I am not real happy about the two shot vaccine and will most likely wait for the one shot. Being in the va health care at under 65 I am still not eligible For the vaccine. so I must wait.
Our governor just wiped out all the tiers and anyone over 18 can get it. I'm so happy about that. Supply WILL keep up with demand but not unless demand is allowed to be unlimited.

It took me a long time to put my hesitation aside. I'm far more afraid of the plague effect it could stimulate if people pass on getting it. Remember what people thought about AIDS in 1995? All that hesitancy let the virus spread like wildfire.

I got my 2nd dose of Pfizer yesterday. I was a little tired after and my arm is pretty sore today. But so far, that's it. For me, that's a small price to pay to get to see my family again soon. I am lucky enough to have a pretty large extended family, many of whom are either elderly or not in the best health. So, I am super excited to know we can get together again, without me having to worry that I might pass along a dangerous virus. I am planning my visit to my BFF/cousin right now!

Oops, I meant to say a friend of mine had emailed me about this reaction and then suddenly, it's on the news! I got my 2ndvax on March 17, no reaction at all. But my heart goes out to anyone who had this reaction!

I'd rather have this reaction than have Covid. I know too many people who have lost their lives to Covid last year. This reaction will go away and it shows that your immune system is reaction. It's actually the first time I've heard about Covid arm and I follow the new on Covid quite a bit. I imagine the percentage is pretty low of people who get this since I haven't heard about it before.

Me too. I wish everyone would get vaxxed because that's the only way to stop this plague. But COVID arm has been on the news a lot around here. And my friend, my best friend, is 79 and has other health issues. She's frail and tiny. So this is a horrible thing to happen to her, and I'm so grateful she had the shot, even though she's suffering. I cant imagine my life without her. She's occupied a huge place in my heart for 20 years.

I wish there were more people like her in the world. She's part of the reason I get out of bed in the morning. Even though she had this reaction, she got the shot. I would hope she'd be an inspiration to others who stubbornly won't get it because it might cause a bad reaction.

I know I was scared shitless to get both shots, but I was more afraid of the gangs of selfish people who we see partying on the news, who deliberately prolong this threat to life on earth. I don't know--and I dont believe anyone knows--what the real statistics are relating to reactions. This horrible thing is not going away without leaving a huge wake of wonderful people in its path.

So to everyone who has done this loving thing and had one of several bad reactions, I send love from the bottom of my heart, and all my support. Double that if you're a member of this support group.

Well said Diane and I am sorry this happened to your friend. My daughter in-law also got both shots even after having a bad reaction to the first. She is the one I've mentioned before (I think?) about having a lot of medical issues. But she knows it was important for her to get the shot because there is a good likelihood that if she got Covid, it would likely have lasting effects or worse.

I too want to thank everyone who has gotten their vaccine and want to encourage all who are on the fence about if they should or shouldn't, to think about the alternative. The risks from the vaccine are a MUCH lower percentage and the risks of getting Covid is a MUCH, MUCH higher percentage.

There are a few people here from my generation, and I'll bet we all remember polio shots. Polio was an epidemic in the 1950s. Most people knew someone (I knew several) in braces or on crutches or in wheelchairs. I even knew one who lived in an iron lung. If you've never seen that, it's worse than any horror movie ever made. I got religion quick.

I think weve been lulled into a false sense of security over the years because science has been so amazing. I remember reading a two-part story in Rolling Stone about AIDS in 1995, before it even had a name. It took years and millions of deaths before a vaccine was developed that actually worked. The world went insane while the "gay plague" spiraled out of control.

Now AIDS is so preventable and treatable, no one thinks twice about it.

We have to take COVID even more seriously because it crosses every barrier, killing babies and elderly, neighbors, friends, spouses. In this group, the members are people who've taken a life-changing step to save their lives. I wish the rest of the world would be so conscientious.

Please get vaccinated if you haven't. Pay it forward by taking someone along with you. Even if you don't do it for yourself, do it for the rest of the world.

We can't take this seriously enough.

Last edited:
Yes indeed. I think about polio a lot when it comes to this vaccine.

Unfortunately there is no vaccine for AIDS yet but they are getting very close and the treatment(s) are very much improved so it isn't the panic that it once was. I remember well when that first came out, Diane's right about the world going insane.

I guess as one gets older, you really get to see what a difference modern medicine and science has offered to humanity.

Yeah, that was a mistake I wrote about an AIDS vaccine. Apologies if I gave anyone false hope. Judy, I'm glad you know what I'm talking about. I don't think its possible to convey, to the modern world, the fear of living under a killing disease like smallpox, scarlet fever or polio, to name just a few deadly diseases that were both incurable and untreatable.

We no longer live in a world where medical teams go door to door in public schools, make the kids file out into the hall, then get vaccinated on the spot without parental permission. Hell, I still have a nickle-sized scar on my thigh where I got my first smallpox vaccine as a newborn.

I understand the anti-vaxxers who fear for unborn children and horrible side effects. Life is so complicated.

But I'm grateful for the old days, where I was vaccinated without my consent, because I'm alive and never suffered the nightmares so many others did in my lifetime.

I hope people will get vaccinated if it's safe for them. Just look at the horrors in India right now. And if you're Christian, I'd imagine you're thinking End of Days. I truly believe people don't comprehend how much danger we're in. Saw on the news tonight that over the last year, less than 1/3 of American adults are fully vaccinated. Even if all children get the shot, we're still less than 50% nationwide.

The really awful thing is that soon, another virus or plague will descend on the world and we'll feel sentimental for COVID 19. Our only chance is to take up swords and shields right now and fight.

I figure I have another 20 years or so on the planet. But my son has another 40 or more. People need to protect the whole world in order for our future generations to exist in a world that's more hopeful than dystopian.

Thank god science can help us, if we let it. And in case you missed it in my old posts, I'm a cadaver donor. My body goes to UW Medical School to be used for the advancement of medical students. I hope my body will help students understand the physical effects of pandemics.

It is so heartbreaking what is going on in India right now. My daughter was born there, we adopted her when she was a baby. Who knows if she has any blood relatives left after this. One of the problems of not getting vaccinated is when a resurge of Covid happens and new variants appear, it gets tougher and tougher to fight this thing.

20210503_092057.png

So crazy to think that after so many deaths & continuing side effects from Covid, and after all the hard work from dedicated scientists that came up with the vaccines to keep us safe, that there is anyone that doesn't believe that Covid is real or the vaccines are more dangerous than the disease. A friend's mother actually believes the vaccines are just water and are worthless. It's so frustrating for the rest of us that want everyone to be safe and to feel safe ourselves around others. I know I'll probably wear my mask indoors for years to come. <Sigh>

I saw this article yesterday. It is disgusting what the rise of T.V. opinion pieces disguised as "news" and social media "facts" have done to our country. This is not a just political issue, as both sides share at least as many opinions as they do facts. I wish we would (once again) pass a law that requires anything labeling itself as "news" to be factual. I had to get rid of facebook last year, since an obscene number of people I used to respect seem to believe that gargling with Listerine can kill covid in your mouth BEFORE it gets to your lungs (as if your nose is not part of your respiratory system), and other equally ridiculous ideas that show the lack of even the most basic of common sense. Allowing this virus to continue to grow and mutate is not only foolish, it's dangerous.

Back