• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamin B12 deficient and bruising

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a lot of bruising sense their surgery? I have bruises all over my legs and I'm not sure why? Could I be in need of more vitamin B12? I take sublingual daily. I do get dizzy sometimes if this helps anyone answer the question.

I believe B-12 has more to do with cognitive mental, nerve functions and making red blood cells than bleeding or bruising. Bruising is bleeding under the skin. I hope you aren't taking aspirin or NSAIDs they will cause bruising and stomach bleeds. If your problem is vitamin related; I would think vitamin C, K or zinc. You should consult your doctor or nutritionist.

regards

Kitty,

I bruise horribly since surgery. I have also reached the point of having 7% body fat so basically..nothing. When I rub up against things, the skin tears and I bleed like a son of a gun. Then the bruising is just horrible.

My PCP, after conferring with my nutritionist and surgeon, increased my iron and Vit K. K was extreme. They put me on mega doses for 3 month. One high powered tablet once a week for 12 weeks. Then back to normal. My count is back up, but I am still anemic big time. I take one prenatal a day and 2 iron pills. That's a lot. And I am still anemic.

What they have all agreed on is that it is a condition many get after having GBS. We just have to learn what to do to balance. The bruising will probably never really stop. I am just as careful as can be. But..oh well, long sleeves are my best friends! LOL.

After a week in the hospital, IV's and bloodwork daily, my arms look like someone beat the crap out of me. Embarrassing to say the last. But I have to try to see some positive. They are pretty colors???? LOL. I would do well if it was St. Patty's day now. (see, I'm laughing).

Hang in there. See if your phy agrees on the iron and K thing. I do take zinc daily as well, so that could play into it. I don't remember any talk about zinc, but at 55, my memory is not the best anymore. It may have been an issue..it's normal now, however..

Best to you and do, please, hang in there. It's only bruising. The bruises fade. What matters is that your spirit does not!

Life is good.

Letrell

Back