• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins?

Hi all.... its me again! I was just wanting to see how the ones that have had the surgery (gastric bypass, but any will help) How you are taking your vitamins? I tried grinding the multi-vit and the calcium into my shake.. But it tastes HORRIBLE! Shake is way more tolerable with out them. Any suggestions on how to take them. I want to prepare myself for post op! Again.. Thank you!

I take a chewable multi-vitamin (flintstones). I was told not to take calcium for 8 weeks after surgery. The b-12 just dissolves under the tongue. You may want to check with your nutritionist to see what they recommend. I can not imagine grind it up and having it in a shake. Good luck!

all of my vitamins were chewables for the first 6 months. You can go to the Bariatric Advantage site and they offer all of them in chewable form. Vitamin D was in liquid.

you can buy vitamins that are in capsules and open them up and put them into a shake. Like the person said just up above, you have to take them, but you shouldn't have to grind them up. There are options, like what I said, or get liquid. If I were you, I would see a nutritionist that specializes in bariatric patients. It will be the best money you ever spent.

I am pre surgery and also wonder about vitamins and especially my glucosamine chondroitin which are large pills that I take daily now for joint issues. Will I be able to crush those and keep on taking post op??

I am pre surgery and also wonder about vitamins and especially my glucosamine chondroitin which are large pills that I take daily now for joint issues. Will I be able to crush those and keep on taking post op??
I know that I have seen glucosamine in liquid form at Costco, I would think other places have it as well. My experience after surgery was that I had to be very careful what went down my pipes for a really long time. Since my surgery was 21 years ago and they didn't know as much then as they do now, that absorption of pills does not do so well. You had better ask your doctor. I am now taking all of my meds by capsules and opening them up, or taking liquids because of poor absorption.

I know that I have seen glucosamine in liquid form at Costco, I would think other places have it as well. My experience after surgery was that I had to be very careful what went down my pipes for a really long time. Since my surgery was 21 years ago and they didn't know as much then as they do now, that absorption of pills does not do so well. You had better ask your doctor. I am now taking all of my meds by capsules and opening them up, or taking liquids because of poor absorption.
OK thanks Adair! I have just found that glucosamine really helps me, but as I lose weight I bet I won't be needing it anymore. I'll ask my doctor. Thanks!

I know the original post was an old one, but my Dr. instructed me to take my calcium citrate and my multivitamin separately with a couple hours in between. My multivitamin is an orange flavored chewable and the calcium is a caramel flavored (delicious, by the way) soft chew. Don't know rules about posting company names so I won't do it. Ask me if you need to know.

Back