• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins

lsales4363

I start my pre-op diet on 11/25. Also, I was getting to the point where I need to start refilling some of my vitamins. (At least it isn't all at once like in the beginning). I thought I'd try grinding the vitamins to see how that'd work. IT DID NOT!!!!:eek: I may need to research some of the chewable and/or liquid versions. Just don't want to pay a fortune while I am at it. Has anyone had luck with anything specific? I want to make sure I have everything in order before hand.

My last class we were told to have 2 weeks of liquid vitamins on hand for post surgical needs. My hubbys pharmacy, it is the sister hospital to where I am having surgery at. He went out to CVS and bought 3 weeks worth of liquid Centrum for me to have post op at home. I spoke to my dietician and they will give me prescription for chewable elemental iron. I already have the chewable B-12 on hand and my vitamin d.. If you have to take Calcium make sure to get the petites one.

I tried the Centrum liquid last weekend and they aren't that bad at all....

I was told post op for the first 2 weeks my vitamins are to be liquid. I am guessing it is all Surgeon dependent on what they recommend.

You are right about "doctor Preference". My list of vitamins says specifially to avoid Centrum Liquid and children's vitamins. I've already been doing the sublinugal B-12. My vitamin C is already chewable and I can't start taking that for a few weeks after surgery anyway. The D and B1 are a lot smaller than the calcium and mutli I am taking. I think by the time I can restart those, cutting them in half or quartered, will be small enough. Funny that I seem more obssessed (and anxious) about the vitamins than anything else. Maybe that is a good thing, keeping me from driving myself crazy with everything else.

the nutritionist said that they prefer patients to take bariatric chewables but they don't taste good so OTC are fine for pre-op and 2 weeks post-op but after that to take bariatric vitamins because of the way they digest or something.

My surgeon does not want any form of solids to be ingested for the first 2 weeks after surgery, including chewable anything vitamins.
I have the Opurity Bariatric Vitamins for R-N-Y on hand for when I can switch to chewable vitamin.
Currently I am on Centrum Women's 50+

I am worried about leaking or popping a stich. I have to re-up my vitamins tomorrow so I will probably take the vitamins I have for the pre-op diet and will savor them for all they are worth!!! LOL! Then go to liquid for post-op

My surgeon does an upper GI the day after surgery to check for leaks.. It will be interesting to drink the contrast..:p
Nice thing I wont have to drink 2 bottles of that nasty stuff... :)

I see post's from all over the country and wondered how long each of you waited for surgery? I got the impression from my surgeon it will take 6 month's or so to get a surgery date? I am ready now....well ok after my cardiac clearance, my stress test and echo cardiogram are scheduled for January 7th, yay. Having my second visit with the nutritionist Monday, sadly I have not been writing down what I eat. I would rather write out a menu and check off each item as I eat. I have never been very good at tracking my food in take......I can say that since I have started eliminating a meal and replacing it with a protein shake and taking all of my post surgical vitamins now I do feel like I have a little more energy. Which is a great thing, I have been gradually getting thing's in place by receiving a Bella mixer for my protein shakes, cleaning a heavy glass blender after every shake was really getting on my nerves. I also used one of the tips I found this morning for my protein shake instead of adding frozen fruit and dealing with all of the seeds I used a Crystal Light to flavor my shake and it was AWESOME!!! Opens the door to many, many great flavor's........

Surgical time can be based on what your insurance requires, medical clearances, a persons ability to comply with any pre-surgical requirements and such.

I waited 3 months due to the need for a cardiac cath., issues with my first patient advocate and my surgeons schedule...

Some surgeons require a 2 phase pre-surgical diet to help de-fat your liver...

Hi,
I have about 10 lbs to go before the surgeon will put me on the calendar. He said to get a pill crusher for the solid vitamins. He also said has no problem with Flinstones. I am concerned about the liquid capsules that I have for D3. Will I be able to handle that liquid capsule? It is tiny.

Back