• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vsg failure

Julieg

I have avoided chats for almost 2 years, but I need help. I am just not consistently on my computer, so forgive me.
After surgery I went from 233 down to 186 and at 3 months out, stopped losing. I am gaining now, with all of my old diet habits kicking in.
WhenI start to focus, I struggle to be consistent. Fear I am not eating enough. How many calories should I be eating?
Thank you!

I have avoided chats for almost 2 years, but I need help. I am just not consistently on my computer, so forgive me.
After surgery I went from 233 down to 186 and at 3 months out, stopped losing. I am gaining now, with all of my old diet habits kicking in.
WhenI start to focus, I struggle to be consistent. Fear I am not eating enough. How many calories should I be eating?
Thank you!
Hi Julie and welcome.

Were you working with a nutritionist or dietitian before you had surgery? I think that would be my first step. You need a medically supervised diet. No one here can tell you how many calories you should be eating. A professional with your health history needs to work with you. But if you're gaining, why are you fearing you aren't eating enough? My guess would be that you're eating the wrong things (carbs, sugars, etc.).

It also sounds to me like the psychological reasons you overate were never resolved or brought to light. For the loss to stop at 3 months is early. There are some good books out there that can help you if you aren't already in counseling:

The 5 Books You Must Read If You Struggle With Food Or Weight

I wish you all the best, please keep writing.

Hi Julie and welcome.

Were you working with a nutritionist or dietitian before you had surgery? I think that would be my first step. You need a medically supervised diet. No one here can tell you how many calories you should be eating. A professional with your health history needs to work with you. But if you're gaining, why are you fearing you aren't eating enough? My guess would be that you're eating the wrong things (carbs, sugars, etc.).

It also sounds to me like the psychological reasons you overate were never resolved or brought to light. For the loss to stop at 3 months is early. There are some good books out there that can help you if you aren't already in counseling:

The 5 Books You Must Read If You Struggle With Food Or Weight

I wish you all the best, please keep writing.
Brenda, have you read all of the books in the link? Last night I started listening to Women, Food and God. I'm trying to wrap my mind around what she's saying. I also downloaded The Power of Now. I think these will help me with my current struggles. Thanks for posting the link.

Brenda, have you read all of the books in the link? Last night I started listening to Women, Food and God. I'm trying to wrap my mind around what she's saying. I also downloaded The Power of Now. I think these will help me with my current struggles. Thanks for posting the link.
Hi there. I haven't made it through them yet, started with The Power of Now and keep re-reading it. It's become one of my all time favorite inspirational books! I'm so glad you're making your way through them. :)

Thank you!

Thank you!

Hi JULIEG
I hope my story helps you. I know this info will if you use it. Read, watch and listen to anything that you can get your hands on from Dr. R. CYWES of Florida.
I was recommend to him by my indoconolgist (thyroid doc) I was the heaviest I had ever been. So I was overweight, depressed, pre diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I had just lost both my 2 overweight sisters to cancer in 6yrs. And was left with no other siblings.
Also, due to a injury at work, I had to retire.
But after meeting Dr. Cywes, I knew I had a chance at life again. He made me feel as if I was his only patient. He loves his job and loves helping people live. I just love him. In
January 2019, I started my diet and lost about 12 lbs before my surgery,Match 2019. I had proved to myself and to doc 'I can do this!'
I woke up from my surgery, finding out that he had found and removed a tumor on my liver, which I had no idea that I had beforehand. God spared my life (it wasn't cancerous) and
Doc had saved my life ( to live another day) Since then I realized that I can't waste another day of my life while I'm on this earth. So now I eat to live.
You don't have to count calories ever again! Just carb and sugars. Give them up for life, to live life. I'm 5'0 and I started out at 199 lbs. and today I weigh in at 112.5 A total of 86.5 lbs lost and gained a ton of happiness! And my Granddaughter had lost over 35 lbs also, without surgery. It been a win win.

Give yourself a real chance at life.
Finally at 61 yrs old, I'm happy with myself!

Back