• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weighing food

Karenina

The dietician suggested weighing food portions. I wondered if anyone has any suggestions about a decent/low priced scale to get. Or is this a major purchase that I will use long term, so should spend more money on???

Hi Karenina, I purchased a scale for $5.99 at Bed and Bath and it works fine. It has a bowl on top that you can take off which makes it easy to wash. My daugher bought a digital scale at Weight Watchers for a lot more and she barely used it and when she did it did not work.

I still weigh things when I am unsure but I also have some foods that are consistently portioned with measuring cups, I bought a nice set of stainless steel ones so they are easy to wash right after use, as for the scale your walmart or bed bath and beyond special will work just fine, I had a walmart special and melted it on my toaster oven so it was not a huge loss and I went and got another, I think it was 6 or 7 dollars. They are very important to have when you first start off and always good to have to double check yourself every once in a while as you get more comfortable with making right sized portions, your body will also tell you if you start to eat to much. :cool: Tom

Tom is so right. Get a scale, especially in the beginning. It is so important. I bought a digital scale so I could see the measurement easier since my eye sight isn't as good as it used to be. Now it basically sits in a drawer. I use it every now and again.

Back