• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Gain After Surgery

mackrm

I am 1 year post surgery and doing very well in the weight loss department. However, I have heard many horror stories about people who had gastric bypass surgery and gained it all back! How common is this? What is the cause, just over eating or something else. My doc did say that people who had a support group did better long term than those who did not. Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum. I think you will like the people here--very helpful and open. Congratulations on your successful weight loss.
From what I have heard and read, there is a honeymoon period for most WLS patients where they are losing weight, sticking to their meal plans, exercising, and generally doing what they are supposed to do. When that period is over then maintaining what you have begins. If a person has not dealt with the emotional reasons for overeating, then they can fall back into old habits and start gaining weight back. I think it's important to understand your triggers and avoid them. It's no different than yo-yo dieting. They say 95% of people that lose a significant amount of weight from dieting gain it all back plus more.
I have looked for statistics on weight gain and WLS and haven't really found much. Next I'm going to look for journal articles to see if I can find some stats.
I don't think there is anything biological about gaining the weight back, if that is your fear. As long as you stay on top of what you're supposed to do you should be all right.

Hi Mackrm, Welcome. Some people do gain weight back a few years after surgery and the cause is we can start to revert back to our old habits, some people catch themselves with 20 or so pounds weight gain and some with more. The most impotant thing to understand is that WLS is only a tool to help us lose weight and once the weight is off is it up to us to maintain trhe healthier eating habits we learned the first year or two post op. My WLS team also told me to keep going to support groups for success and they are right, we can learn all kinds of good stuff there as far as eating habits, pit falls and traps, and to hear from other success stories and struggles. so stick to your meal plan and monitor you scale once a week. You'll do fine. :cool: Tom

yes there is definately a honeymoon period. The weight falls off, you work your program, exercise and it is fantastic. Then people start complimenting you, it feels good but you still see a fat girl in the mirror, except hanging skin too. The turkey waddle under your neck, don't even get me started on the bat wings. That is my story, also I have an identical twin that no one can believe we are twins anymore. I have put on 50 pounds and my sister has lost 50 pounds,. 50 pounds now seperates us and psychologically I feel much better of this. I am back on track and have my conviction about losing the 50 pounds again and get back into my size 10 jeans.

Word of caution: Be careful of middle of the night binging. My downfall. I wake up from sleep, get a drink, then stuff myself with whatever is available.

Back