• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight gain

jojo61

In had my Roux-en-Y on April 27, 2011. Started at 274 in one year I was down to 145. Huge image change. Since this January I have gained 20 lbs. Headed back to old habits. Need help to get back on track. I have great support from my husband. Any ideas on how to get back on right track

In had my Roux-en-Y on April 27, 2011. Started at 274 in one year I was down to 145. Huge image change. Since this January I have gained 20 lbs. Headed back to old habits. Need help to get back on track. I have great support from my husband. Any ideas on how to get back on right track

Hi JoJo.. Go back to your post surgery eating pattern and menu until you get the weight back off. Once you are back at goal weight, watch carefully what you are eating.. don't let yourself gain more than 5 pounds without doing something about it.

Good luck,

Cheyenne

Thanks Cheyenne, I am going to start the 5 day pouch test, start a food journal and get my goals back

All right Jojo! You can do this! If you can lose 130 pounds you can lose 20! I am still pre-op but love the idea if you gain 5 pounds do something about it right away. I really like this forum and have gotten some many helpful tips and ideas.
Please keep us posted on your success. :eek:

Thanks Cheyenne, I am going to start the 5 day pouch test, start a food journal and get my goals back

Thats the way to go JoJo :eek:

As Red Mama said, you lost 130 lb so you can easily lose 20 lb. It won't take long!!!

Cheyenne

I need help too feel like the weight is starting to creep on... When the old habits are starting back in I try and remind myself what I went through. Looking for support and help!

I have been struggling for a few months. Over the last week I have restarted a food diary. Actually downloaded the myfitnesspal app. You fill out your food etc and it does all the work even counts your protein. I have even lost 3 lbs. The other things I have done are read the behavioral "slips", GAVE up my lattes! andother empty calorie drinks added mo water and I use a REALLY small plate.

5dpt

Started the 5DPT, not as hard to get back to basics as I though. Hard to explain to people why I stopped going out to lunch everyday tough.

Started the 5DPT, not as hard to get back to basics as I though. Hard to explain to people why I stopped going out to lunch everyday tough.

If you enjoy going out for lunch, couldnt you get a salad? I love a salad with with some chicken in it. This was what I lost a lot of weight eating the first few months after my surgery til I got really tired of it. I need to go back on it for awhile.

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi Kreueha, So how are you doing now? Been a little over a week since your post for help. Did you go back to your pre-op diet or journaling? I'm still pre-op but worried about experiencing what you are in a year or so. My plan is to carry around a plastic (Easter) egg and remember that's the amount of food I can have to eat, ever again. LOL.

I am almost two years out from a sleeve surgery and I am gaining weight...22 lbs. I don't seem to care, my attitude is poor. I exercise and get more hungry. I wonder if anyone knows what the statistics are for regaining the weight after bariatric surgery. I lost a hundred pounds in the first year but I don't credit myself for it, my body just responded to the surgery and the weight came off....I followed the diet they gave me but it wasn't that hard....Now it is just like before the surgery when I tried to loose weight on so many diets but couldn't keep it off. I know I have to take charge but it is very hard for me. Is going back on the liguid diet going to work or am I just going to gain it back after I go off it. Sorry if I sound discouraging

I am still discouraged. I had a sit down talk with my husband last night. Today is a new start in order to get back in track. I started thinking about what I have been eating. Even though I have been keeping a food journal I am not following all the LWS rules. So today I started the 5dpt. Hard to do on a Sunday at home, when I love to make the family meals starting with breakfast (homemade huckleberry muffins) and full meal at dinner. But they are my strength. I did all this for my pre op time and all the stages after. I have to remember that at my year I was down 92 % and I have been at my goal weight. Then I went back to old habits. Like my dr said it is a disease. I have work on this daily. I cannot eat the whole banana or not watch the carbs and not measure out my food. I can do this again. The other goal is to get back into my workouts. I am injury free again and I am going to start slow. Gym bag is packed so I can walk on lunch breaks. I did not lose all my weight to gain it back. I want to stay healthy.

Go back to your support group. Go back to your nutritionist. Go back to your psych.

They are all there to help you; especially during times like this. I don't know why you are gaining and it usually is a whole lot more than just eating. That is why the bariatric team has so many components to work with you.

It isn't just the fork going to your mouth. It is your well being. It is circumstances surrounding your life. It is mental.

You trained so hard and learned a new eating technique. Get back to it and the bariatric team and your local support group is the best way to do that.

I try to keep my weight within a 3 pound range just a bit tighter than what Cheyenne states. You know when you are eating too much.

Remember, plenty of fluids, 60 grams of protein and limit the carbs.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I've just passed a year after having the gastric sleeve procedure. Recently I've been stuck without weight loss and now gained a few pounds. These suggestions have been very helpful for getting back on track. Thank you.

I've just passed a year after having the gastric sleeve procedure. Recently I've been stuck without weight loss and now gained a few pounds. These suggestions have been very helpful for getting back on track. Thank you.

Good for you.

It is a lifestyle change. You must make the lifestyle change. It sounds like you are having difficulty making the necessary changes.

You MUST log your foods. I find this to be a tremendous tool in keeping me on track. It also clearly shows when I have strayed. I stay between 197 to 199.8.

I am setting a new goal of 195.

I must log each day. I don't care how you do it but you must do it.

I use www.caloriecount.com

It is a fantastic site.

Ralph

I'm in the same boat had surgery in 2006. In the last year I have put on 30lbs and I can't stand it. Before surgery I was 230lbs with in a year I was 115. Now I'm up to 144. What is the pouch test???

The 5 day pouch test is a way to help you get back in touch with your pouch and eating correctly. Just google 5daypouchtest.com. Writing by Kaye Bailey are also good.

Back