• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

We're newlyweds....know where I'm going with this?!?!

My husband is having surgery at the end of the year. We both enjoy making love tremendously and are wondering when others get their wants and desires met after surgery. It obviously is dependant on each person, but we just wanted to get a thought on how long between surgery and our next extra fun night. :eek:

Sorry if I have offended you, it's just something we were wondering! Thanks for any replies.

SwirlWoman-The amount of time he has to wait will be clearly defined in the written material that he will be given. In my material it says to wait 4 to 6 weeks (or with the surgeon's approval if sooner) providing there were no complications associated with the surgery. And for any women reading this you need to wait at least 2 years before becomming pregnant and before attempting to become pregnant you need to let your doctor know you have had bariatric surgery.

I would ask the surgeon. Depending on his recovery and healing process it might be different than the standard 3-6 weeks. There might be other ways to enjoy yourselfs that are not as strenuous. This is not an offensive question. I think people think about it, but might be embarassed to ask. Hoping the surgery goes well and he makes a speedy recover.

SwirlWoman,

Welcome! And Kudos to you for asking this question.

Your question is difficult to answer, as there are so many variables.

Your first answer should come from hubs' surgeon.

What type of surgery is he having? Open? Laparoscopic? How old is he? What is his general fitness level?

People are different. Surgeons are different. When my son had laparoscopic wls, his surgeon told him he could resume any exercise, including sex, as soon as he felt ready. The only restriction the surgeon placed on him was lifting; no more than 20 pounds for the first two weeks.

My take on it? The surgeon will offer guidelines. You should operate within those guidelines. Think of yourself (or hubs) as a porcupine. Whatever it is you want to do, you're going to want to do it v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y!!!

whichever surgery he has is NOT going to effect his needs or ability to perform it is just the healing process of his abdomen from incisions which can take 2 -6 weeks normally. OF course, it is important for your husband to ask his surgeon for when the surgeon feels it is fine to fully enjoy himself and enjoy you! You were brave to ask that question but most of us did not ask and you did!! Thanks.

I'm scheduled for laproscopic surgery and asked the nurse practitioner (she had the surgery several years ago). She said the same as one of the above answers. Whenever his body is ready for it, but no lifting, lol. That porcupine answer was hilarious!

When did you guys get married? My husband and I got married March 2010 and we still feel like newlyweds ourselves!

When did you guys get married? My husband and I got married March 2010 and we still feel like newlyweds ourselves!

Sky:

We were only married Nov. 2011, so we're up to a year in just a few days! That's what makes both of us think about the timing.... ;) But our love is so strong, I have no worries about surviving, just had been curious about other people's experiences. And I am so glad I found this site. Has really eased my mind.

Congrats to you both! This site has helped me alot too. Im sending this message from my phone cause I my surgery is tomorrow. Eek!

Congrats to you both! This site has helped me alot too. Im sending this message from my phone cause I my surgery is tomorrow. Eek!

Go, Sky!!!

Give us a shout when you're up to it.

My thoughts are with you.

Thank you all! My surgery went well for the most part. I had some breathing issues when I got out but that is all cleared up now. I didn't have access to a computer much while I was out so I wasn't able to post back here on my progress or anything. I have lost about 36lbs since the surgery and have been on solids for about 3 weeks. My doctor put me on solids sooner than normal because my stomach was screaming for food, lol. I was either starving or nauseous with no happy medium. This morning, I started sipping my protein drink and started cramping up. After heading to the bathroom, I started heaving and threw up. Mind you, I have not thrown up during this whole time so I'm a bit unnerved. I've always been the girl with the cast iron stomach. I guess I need to get used to being a delicate flower, lol. How is everyone else doing?

Back