• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What a wonderful time I had last night with friends and family

dancinbr

Last night I hosted a birthday dinner with my closest friend and family.

It was a great evening. Everyone enjoyed themselves. We had many laughs, lots of conversation, plenty of pictures, lots of hugging and so on.

The restaurant staff were terrific. Now, here is where you must come to understand that you are in control of what you order at a restaurant. I looked at the menu and boy there were so many wonderful dishes to choose from; dishes I would have dived into pre-surgery. However, not one of them was suitable for me post-op. So many gravies, sauces, sweet things, etc. I knew if I even tried a bit of them it would be a disaster. Even before we entered the restaurant we had a few folks to our home for nibbles. I nibbled one thing that was a total mistake. I stopped immediately. Fortunately, the ill feelings passed within a 1/2 hour.

So, back to the restaurant. People were ordering drinks, wine, appetizer, soups and main courses. I ordered a cranberry juice, which pretty much sat there the entire evening. I sipped it once in awhile. I had to remember not to drink 1/2 before or after the main meal. So I sipped my cranberry juice while folks worked the way through appetizers and soups.

The head waiter took people's orders. When he came to me I told him I needed to explain to him a few things. I told him I am a gastric bypass patient. My total meal could not exceed roughly 3 ounces. I could not have sauces, sweets, etc. So I asked him to grill a filet mignon, medium rare and DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON IT. No sauces, no seasoning, no nothing! A good filet mignon will taste good on its own and it did.

He asked what about mashed potato. I said sure a little just don't doll it up with butter and things like that and yes a small veggie. They actually put steamed veggies out on the table. I think I sampled one bit.

So when the main course came for everybody I had stopped drinking my cranberry juice and then I ate about 2 ounces of the filet mignon and gave a piece or two to others who wanted to sample it as well. The rest came home. I have enough today for probably 3 or more small meals. I will enjoy it.

When dessert came, I ordered a decaf coffee. I finally can consume one cup of coffee without getting the mild tacacardia I used to get all the time. My pulse would jump up to 110 and stay there for a full day or two. It doesn't happen anymore. So chalk up another positive measurement as a result of the surgery and subsequent weight loss; no more tacacardia.

To my left, my wife skipped desserts, she was enjoying Grey Goose. To my right was this huge plate of ice cream that a close friend was enjoying. So, I sampled a bite of ice cream. That was enough. I enjoyed it. I didn't go near anything that was really sweet since I know that makes me uncomfortable.

Concluding, I had a great time, managed my dinner and drink quite well and sampled the "good" foods here and there. For the day I stayed within my 1200 calorie limit.

Happiness.

Ralph

This is perfect timing Ralph. I have quite a dew lunches and dinners scheduled with friends and co-workers in the coming weeks. I should be just finishing mushy/soft foods and just beginning my journey of "regular" foods. I have been preparing myself thinking what to drink and how to order. This helped immensely!

Also illustrates the ability to enjoy the event and the family and friends without food being the central theme!

Congratulations on your continued success and thank you for sharing!

This is perfect timing Ralph. I have quite a dew lunches and dinners scheduled with friends and co-workers in the coming weeks. I should be just finishing mushy/soft foods and just beginning my journey of "regular" foods. I have been preparing myself thinking what to drink and how to order. This helped immensely!

Also illustrates the ability to enjoy the event and the family and friends without food being the central theme!

Congratulations on your continued success and thank you for sharing!

Thank you.

The message is WE ARE IN CONTROL.

Most restaurants if not all will accommodate.

It works.

What was important is I didn't sit there and do nothing. I always had my cranberry juice to sip or my coffee afterward.

The main course I ate slowly all 2 ounces; little bites at a time and chew chew chew.

It works.

Ralph

And wasn't it great to have the site of food not send you into an eating frenzy! I find it doesn't bother me at all to see other's eat.

Dancinbr you handled that gathering like a seasoned veteran. Nicely done and a great example for others to follow.

Frank

:cool:

Last night I hosted a birthday dinner with my closest friend and family.

It was a great evening. Everyone enjoyed themselves. We had many laughs, lots of conversation, plenty of pictures, lots of hugging and so on.

The restaurant staff were terrific. Now, here is where you must come to understand that you are in control of what you order at a restaurant. I looked at the menu and boy there were so many wonderful dishes to choose from; dishes I would have dived into pre-surgery. However, not one of them was suitable for me post-op. So many gravies, sauces, sweet things, etc. I knew if I even tried a bit of them it would be a disaster. Even before we entered the restaurant we had a few folks to our home for nibbles. I nibbled one thing that was a total mistake. I stopped immediately. Fortunately, the ill feelings passed within a 1/2 hour.

So, back to the restaurant. People were ordering drinks, wine, appetizer, soups and main courses. I ordered a cranberry juice, which pretty much sat there the entire evening. I sipped it once in awhile. I had to remember not to drink 1/2 before or after the main meal. So I sipped my cranberry juice while folks worked the way through appetizers and soups.

The head waiter took people's orders. When he came to me I told him I needed to explain to him a few things. I told him I am a gastric bypass patient. My total meal could not exceed roughly 3 ounces. I could not have sauces, sweets, etc. So I asked him to grill a filet mignon, medium rare and DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON IT. No sauces, no seasoning, no nothing! A good filet mignon will taste good on its own and it did.

He asked what about mashed potato. I said sure a little just don't doll it up with butter and things like that and yes a small veggie. They actually put steamed veggies out on the table. I think I sampled one bit.

So when the main course came for everybody I had stopped drinking my cranberry juice and then I ate about 2 ounces of the filet mignon and gave a piece or two to others who wanted to sample it as well. The rest came home. I have enough today for probably 3 or more small meals. I will enjoy it.

When dessert came, I ordered a decaf coffee. I finally can consume one cup of coffee without getting the mild tacacardia I used to get all the time. My pulse would jump up to 110 and stay there for a full day or two. It doesn't happen anymore. So chalk up another positive measurement as a result of the surgery and subsequent weight loss; no more tacacardia.

To my left, my wife skipped desserts, she was enjoying Grey Goose. To my right was this huge plate of ice cream that a close friend was enjoying. So, I sampled a bite of ice cream. That was enough. I enjoyed it. I didn't go near anything that was really sweet since I know that makes me uncomfortable.

Concluding, I had a great time, managed my dinner and drink quite well and sampled the "good" foods here and there. For the day I stayed within my 1200 calorie limit.

Happiness.

Ralph

Wow. You were so good.... You made me cry and, thanks for giving me hope!

Back