• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What are post surgery must haves?

Nymiria

Soo my surgery is in 29 days whoop whoop! I am super excited and also feeling very ill prepared. What are things that you guys were told to buy or have handy? If you have had surgery - what are some things that are must haves?
So far today i've already asked about bariatric plates and vitamins hahaha - what else am I missing?

Protein water.
The first week you're on clear liquids. Protein 2o and similar brands only have 15g of protein per 20oz. I used, and got for my husband, Isopure Zero Carb water mix. You can put 2 scoops in 20oz for a total of 40g of protein. I could not find it pre-made for hubby as I did for me. The tropical is okay though. It's not great but it's a week and I was determined to hit my protein goal right out of the gate. You can also make popsicles out of it.

Protein shakes and protein powder.
Those first few weeks I did not eat or drink anything besides water that did not have added protein. You can add powder to puddings, cream of wheat, soups, whatever. Just make sure if you are heating it up, only heat to tepid or luke warm. HOT makes protein powders clump.

A positive attitude.
Everything else is gravy. You can buy a million things and they may not help you. The most important thing is that you decide that whatever hardship is temporary, and you will power through. To improve the rest of your life! Hate shakes? Too bad. Hate water? Too bad. Want real food? Too bad.

You can do it. It may be hard at times but you'll be so glad you did. Work the program and it will work for you.

Drugs. Many many drugs.

Seriously, make sure your comfort level is addressed. I had major open procedure with 20 stitches and needed them good ol drugs.

Also I addressed the smoothie issue and followed the hospital handout.

Of course, that was 14 years ago. Better tools today.

And obey your nutritional team.

Drugs. Many many drugs.

Seriously, make sure your comfort level is addressed. I had major open procedure with 20 stitches and needed them good ol drugs.

Also I addressed the smoothie issue and followed the hospital handout.

Of course, that was 14 years ago. Better tools today.

And obey your nutritional team.
Yes I will totally tell them when I hurt! I hate hurting haha . Good advice!

Protein water.
The first week you're on clear liquids. Protein 2o and similar brands only have 15g of protein per 20oz. I used, and got for my husband, Isopure Zero Carb water mix. You can put 2 scoops in 20oz for a total of 40g of protein. I could not find it pre-made for hubby as I did for me. The tropical is okay though. It's not great but it's a week and I was determined to hit my protein goal right out of the gate. You can also make popsicles out of it.

Protein shakes and protein powder.
Those first few weeks I did not eat or drink anything besides water that did not have added protein. You can add powder to puddings, cream of wheat, soups, whatever. Just make sure if you are heating it up, only heat to tepid or luke warm. HOT makes protein powders clump.

A positive attitude.
Everything else is gravy. You can buy a million things and they may not help you. The most important thing is that you decide that whatever hardship is temporary, and you will power through. To improve the rest of your life! Hate shakes? Too bad. Hate water? Too bad. Want real food? Too bad.

You can do it. It may be hard at times but you'll be so glad you did. Work the program and it will work for you.
Ok that's some great advice! I will look into that water. And having a good attitude. I think it sounds easier than it is until you go through it! So hopefully I can remember this haha

I never took any pain medication when I got home, not even Tylenol. I had gas pain and took chewable Gas-X. My nurse explained to me that pain medication will not help with gas pain. You have to walk it off and take Gas-X.
Same here, they did give me IV pain meds in the hospital but once I got home I was good. Didn't take anything.
The pain meds just knocked me out so the gas didn't hurt. haha

Yeah, I took whatever pain meds I could in the hospital. When I came home, I took hydrocodone for the 1st 3 days along with the powdered extra strength Tylenol (to me it tasted like pixie stix).

I was very lucky that they pushed out much of the CO2 gas before closing me up, so my gas pain was minimal, and the laproscopic incisions were manageable. By day 4, I managed to use the Tylenol only, and I had been walking everyday since the surgery.

I had an abdominal binder. Please ask ahead of time so they can have it in the hospital for you to take home.

Yeah, I took whatever pain meds I could in the hospital. When I came home, I took hydrocodone for the 1st 3 days along with the powdered extra strength Tylenol (to me it tasted like pixie stix).

I was very lucky that they pushed out much of the CO2 gas before closing me up, so my gas pain was minimal, and the laproscopic incisions were manageable. By day 4, I managed to use the Tylenol only, and I had been walking everyday since the surgery.

I had an abdominal binder. Please ask ahead of time so they can have it in the hospital for you to take home.
O an abdominal binder! Do they have that in the hospital or do I buy it?

It's always been common to send support garments home with post-op patients. But alot of people have said they were not offered one.

Your pain will lessen and your healing improve with a binder.

If you don't get one, get a stretchy band from a sporting goods store, or wide elastic at a sewing store. Use velcro to adjust to your curves.

They gave me 2 in the hospital. Wish I would have been with it enough to ask for one that was a size smaller because by the end of the week it didn’t fit. I partially blame that on the swelling going down and gas being gone, not the fact that my midsection was already that much smaller. But when it did fit, I liked wearing it when sleeping and walking.

They gave me 2 in the hospital. Wish I would have been with it enough to ask for one that was a size smaller because by the end of the week it didn’t fit. I partially blame that on the swelling going down and gas being gone, not the fact that my midsection was already that much smaller. But when it did fit, I liked wearing it when sleeping and walking.
Maybe that was the problem with mine? It just didn't seem to apply pressure to hold my abdomen tight. It seemed too stretchy.

Back