• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What are your go to foods to get your bowels moving again?

Always seek the advice of your care team when it comes to your digestive health and to discuss options.

I use whole foods and psyllium husk, which can be added to foods or into a smoothy or drink. You can buy it as a generic powder or the brand Metamucil has various options. Lentils and beans have high concentrations of fiber. Given the limited quantity you can eat right now it might be more beneficial for something like psyllium which you can mix into drinks or meals.

As far as whole foods go, here's a list of a few non-fruits and their fiber content:

VegetablesServing sizeTotal fiber (grams)*
Green peas, boiled1 cup9.0
Broccoli, boiled1 cup chopped5.0
Turnip greens, boiled1 cup5.0
Brussels sprouts, boiled1 cup4.0
Potato, with skin, baked1 medium4.0
Sweet corn, boiled1 cup3.5
Cauliflower, raw1 cup chopped2.0
Carrot, raw1 medium1.5
GrainsServing sizeTotal fiber (grams)*
Spaghetti, whole-wheat, cooked1 cup6.0
Barley, pearled, cooked1 cup6.0
Bran flakes3/4 cup5.5
Quinoa, cooked1 cup5.0
Oat bran muffin1 medium5.0
Oatmeal, instant, cooked1 cup5.0
Popcorn, air-popped3 cups3.5
Brown rice, cooked1 cup3.5
Bread, whole-wheat1 slice2.0
Bread, rye1 slice2.0
Legumes, nuts and seedsServing sizeTotal fiber (grams)*
Split peas, boiled1 cup16.0
Lentils, boiled1 cup15.5
Black beans, boiled1 cup15.0
Baked beans, canned1 cup10.0
Chia seeds1 ounce10.0
Almonds1 ounce (23 nuts)3.5
Pistachios1 ounce (49 nuts)3.0
Sunflower kernels1 ounce3.0
*Rounded to nearest 0.5 gram.

Source: USDA National Nutrient Database

I hit "send" before adding that, when you use a fiber lax like Metamucil, you also get 8 ounces of your water in for the day.

I hate the stuff. The taste, the texture, ugh, grosses me out. So I try to get it down fast on an empty stomach. Then I swish the remainder with more water until the glass is clean and drink that.

As you may know (or not want to know), my first BM after surgery was huge and painful and took 24 hours to complete. This could have been avoided if I'd known about the benefit of fiber lax.

There are actually a lot of benefits to fiber lax, including scientific studies indicating a lowering of cholesterol.

And as Wazzu noted, we're talking about psyllium husk, and you can buy this cheap at many stores. Don't pay for psyllium that's been dolled up with artificial colors and flavors.

You can also add unflavored psyllium to cereals and soups, but it will make them thicker, so be mindful and compensate.

Anything you can do to make the process easier, do it. I was bearing down so hard, i was afraid I'd bust my staples.

I am on day 6 since surgery & had my 1st bowel movement today! I'd been taking the prescribed colace 2X daily with no results, so yesterday I mixed 2 spoonfuls of Benefiber in some Gatorade Zero. It totally dissolves, so no taste, no grit, nothing left behind in the cup. It worked!!! So I'm gonna make it part of my daily routine. I'm with you Diane about Metamucil. I took it for years, and it was thick, gritty, & left a gel behind in the cup. Yuck!

I am on day 6 since surgery & had my 1st bowel movement today! I'd been taking the prescribed colace 2X daily with no results, so yesterday I mixed 2 spoonfuls of Benefiber in some Gatorade Zero. It totally dissolves, so no taste, no grit, nothing left behind in the cup. It worked!!! So I'm gonna make it part of my daily routine. I'm with you Diane about Metamucil. I took it for years, and it was thick, gritty, & left a gel behind in the cup. Yuck!
I put a packet of Benefiber in my coffee every morning and I can't even tell it's there so I agree it can be put into any drink. If for some reason I need more than the benefiber, I take Colace for a day or two and that helps things for me. I know everyone is different though.

Also, I have heard many people use "Smooth Move" tea. I've not tried it but worth checking with your doctor.

If you have read some of my other post you will see that my doc has made fruits off limits and I know they provide much needed fiber to keep things moving along. Any one found that they help or just ANY types of foods? I can’t do Miralax or milk of magnesia .
When I was leaving the hospital I asked about that. The nurse said to use a suppository initially until I made my two wk op. ( this Tuesday) I did that every other day until today when I had my first natural one. For me hydration is the key. Have to get my fluids in.

Hello - I take a supplement powder called "Calm" -- it's a magnesium powder -- I mixed it in water and drink at night-- works wonders and helps me with sleep and my Restless Leg Syndrome... Hope this helps ... Also suppositories help as well... I have not had my surgery yet, but it this a typical problem after surgery... I'm having a Gastric Sleeve done... thanks...

Hi- Ask your doctor for a prescription "RA Lax doc sod with 50mg of senna"; its a combo of a laxative and colace. I was taking twice a day and now 8 weeks post op am taking every other day as I am adding solids slowly to my diet which is helping. Also, Miralax mixes super smooth in tea, coffee or crystal light. I also take a probotic.

Last edited:
Hi- Ask your doctor for a prescription "RA Lax doc sod with 50mg of senna"; its a combo of a laxative and colace. I was taking twice a day and now 8 weeks post op am taking every other day as I am adding solids slowly to my diet which is helping. Also, Miralax mixes super smooth in tea, coffee or crystal light. I also take a probotic.
As a reminder, we are not allowed to give medical advice. Everyone has a unique biology and what works for one might harm another.

If you're having a problem and you are not a medical professional, relate your symptoms to a MD who is qualified to diagnose disease and prescribe treatment.

We are certainly qualified to share our experiences, but only as support, not to diagnose others with similar symptoms.

See your doctor if you have concerns.

As a reminder, we are not allowed to give medical advice. Everyone has a unique biology and what works for one might harm another.

If you're having a problem and you are not a medical professional, relate your symptoms to a MD who is qualified to diagnose disease and prescribe treatment.

We are certainly qualified to share our experiences, but only as support, not to diagnose others with similar symptoms.

See your doctor if you have concerns.
Hi All- I apologize if I overstepped- was not my intention. The two ingredients in there can be purchased over-the-counter as well; essentially it is senna (a very gentle laxative) and a stool softener.

I hit "send" before adding that, when you use a fiber lax like Metamucil, you also get 8 ounces of your water in for the day.

I hate the stuff. The taste, the texture, ugh, grosses me out. So I try to get it down fast on an empty stomach. Then I swish the remainder with more water until the glass is clean and drink that.

As you may know (or not want to know), my first BM after surgery was huge and painful and took 24 hours to complete. This could have been avoided if I'd known about the benefit of fiber lax.

There are actually a lot of benefits to fiber lax, including scientific studies indicating a lowering of cholesterol.

And as Wazzu noted, we're talking about psyllium husk, and you can buy this cheap at many stores. Don't pay for psyllium that's been dolled up with artificial colors and flavors.

You can also add unflavored psyllium to cereals and soups, but it will make them thicker, so be mindful and compensate.

Anything you can do to make the process easier, do it. I was bearing down so hard, i was afraid I'd bust my staples.
Pre surgery was not an issue because I ate a fiber rich diet. I bought sugar free fiber gummies yesterday and Dulcolax. This is on top of my already daily stool softeners (apparently softening does mean moving) prunes/juice and fiber rich foods that have not reemerged from my body since intake in the last three weeks.

I already talked to my Dr who just says everyone is different. I have occasionally felt something moving in my gut for a week but no results other than "putt putting" like an old outdoor motor on the lake. My gut hurt to the point I was scared about my stapes too which is why I saw my GP. By the time I have a BM I will be like a first time parent talking about diaper deposits. So much for results in 6-12 hours.

Back