• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

what happens when you have a GI bug

Sandie

I just thought of a question, what happens to post op RNY or Sleeve patients when a GI bug hits, do you vomit like anyone else but less since less was undigested or because what is eaten goes straight down to lower intestines we have less vomiting due to viruses and food poisoning or is it worse? This is a question for 1 year out or more post op people since that is when it is like to happen. What else do we have to think about, Medic Alert bracelet or no, do we dehydrate more often then the ordinary Jack and Jill?

Dehydration can be a problem for sure. I have a lap band and if that problem arises I would probably have to get some fluid removed from my band. RNY patients would be similar to any other patient with nausea and vomiting. We got a card that we have to carry with us all the time for emergency situations to let emergency personnel know that we have had WLS. For me it is critical if they need to insert a naso gastric tube and I would think they would need to know about any WLS patient in that instance. And you will probably dehydrate faster too since you can't drink as much as fast. It might not necessarily be a year out either. GI bugs can occur anytime so you need to be aware of what to do. Check with your center for instructions.

Sandie, I agree with javajoy, but a card to carry? I didn't get one. I remembered something about a card for restaurants but not for an emergency. I go to the doctor in 2 weeks do I need one?

Sandie, I agree with javajoy, but a card to carry? I didn't get one. I remembered something about a card for restaurants but not for an emergency. I go to the doctor in 2 weeks do I need one?

All wls patients should carry at least a wallet card. Personally, I think a Medical Alert bracelet, necklace or anklet is better.

Take a look at this article; it talks about why this is needed. It doesn't take very long to read and it's really important.

http://blog.laurenshope.com/medical-...-Medical-Alert

I am always so surprised by my weight loss center. I got the card prior to having surgery and I thought everybody got one. I have a band made by Allergan and allergan suggests it and provides the card for all their banded patients. I just don't know about the sleeve or RNY but it seems to me that it would be a very good idea if you were ever in an accident and couldn't speak up. That is something they need to know. The other card I got is one citing WLS and the need for smaller servings or a child's portion. Some restaurants comply and some do not.

I've posted this a couple of times. Here it is again for anyone interested. Some states have a check box on the back of drivers license's and state ID's indicationg that you are also carrying a medical alert card. If not, write something on the back of your ID with a marker indicating you are carrying one. I keep my license in a small clear plastic sleeve with the medical alert card in the same sleeve.

It's critical to have a medical alert device such as a bracelet, keychain or necklace to indicate you have had a gastric bypass. You can also get a FREE emergency medical card at the following link or you can make your own:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Standard_AND_Enhanced_Medical_Alert_Card_Form_298118_7.pdf

Include the following in the condition area:

Gastric Bypass (plus date and year of surgery)
NO blind NG tube
NO NSAIDS/No sugars
(I had to use the patient advocate line to fit everything in plus I highlighted all of the above with a yellow highlight marker)

There are also sections for patient advocate, emergency contact and PCP contact information

Back