• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What should I expect

reqwhit

I'm in my 10th day post op. So far, things have gone relatively smooth, I'm still in the liquid phase of recovery. I'm concerned that I was able to eat 2 , half cups of pudding, jello an about 4 ounces of protein shake today. I ate these at different intervals, but I was expecting to be able to eat just a couple of teaspoons at a time. I'm not getting any type of overeating feeling after I've eaten. I'm worried that my pouch might be defective. Is this normal and what should I expect to be eating portion wise?

Reqwhit-I think what you are eating is a normal amount for the number of days you are oit from surgery. Make sure you are also getting your fluids in every day or you will dehydrate quickly. You pouch can hold more than a couple of teaspoons. It is about the size of an egg and can hold 2 or 3 ounces comfortably in the beginning and will stretch a bit and hold a little more after you heal more. I was eating a little more than you were when I was 10 days out so try not to be overly concerned. Focus on resting and getting your strength back. You have to eat in order to have energy and to heal.

Pat99 - Thanks for the feedback. It's all so new and scary. I somehow got it in my head, that I had already stretched out my stomach pouch. It's really hard to determine what the "right" amount is to eat. I'm just so scared that this operation will not be successful for me.

Pat99 - Thanks for the feedback. It's all so new and scary. I somehow got it in my head, that I had already stretched out my stomach pouch. It's really hard to determine what the "right" amount is to eat. I'm just so scared that this operation will not be successful for me.

As careful as I am about my portion sizes I still have an occasional incident when I either eat one bite too much or eat too fast and end up with pain and / or nausea. Not fun!!! Consider yourself lucky that you feel like you aren't full because this will keep you from feeling "sick". Just make sure you are getting enough protein and fluids.

Back