• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

When can we take a shower?

Sandie

When can we take a shower if we have Lap RNY surgery? Wondering if I should bring shampoo to the hospital along with toothbrush and toothpaste etc. I feel dirty if I do not have a head wash every day but .............. Just want to be prepared, Jammies,Slippers, toiletries, ?? laptop(are we well enough to do computer work like logging on to this forum) I was told 2-3 days in hospital, I lean to staying that extra day if not feeling well.

Sandie-Just take your shower things with you to the hospital. You probably won't feel like taking one for a day or two. When you are ready just let your nurse know and I'm sure you will be accomodated.

I guess I was thinking due to the small incisions they may not want us to get it wet, but maybe not. Maybe so small that they will not mind it getting wet. Going to get a slight haircut but want my hair to look reasonable in hospital and also clean. I can do without a shower as much as a head wash so may do in sink IF I can bend to do it.

Hi Sandie, I took all that stuff with me, I don't remember showering and I think I might have logged on to my laptop twice, but it is just nice know you have it if you want. Might as well bring it. :cool: Tom

Sandie,

I was offered a shower the next day after my surgery (6 incisions) but I didn't feel like taking one and I didn't like the layout of the shower they had. I swear it was designed by a man and I was scared to death that I would slip and fall because the drainage mechanism was so poor and they had to put towels on the floor to catch the water. Since I had more than just a lap band placed (huge hernia repair) I stayed in three days. The shower at home felt great and I am glad I waited. I did not bring my laptop but wish I had brought my tablet and I did take my cell phone and my kindle although I didn't read a word. I was busy sipping and walking, and going to the bathroom so when I was able to stay in bed I slept. Even the night nurses got me up to walk a few rounds around the track. Good luck as you take the next steps.

thanks everyone!!! I seem to be doing great on the Protein drinks but getting the liquid in is a big problem, I never drink more than a bottle of water with non coloric flavoring so trying to get 4 in is not happening, I am trying but.. AND this is pre op, cannot imagine getting in all the fluid in afterward but will do my best for sure. I thnk the fluids will prevent constipation as well so that will be an inspiration for me. Do not need added problems. Everytime I think of Monday coming, my heart skips a beat but we are going forward and this too will be behind me soon. You all have done it and now it will be my turn,take a deep breath and dive in!! :)

I guess I am just real trusting, I also live in a rural part of the country and even Medford OR wher I had my surgery is considered small by most peoples standards. Besides who can really sleep in a hospital, with nurses coming in and waking us up for this and that, it doesn't give anyone a chance to take anything. :cool: Tom

I can't imagine anyone at the hospital where I had WLS taking anything belonging to a patient. Not that I am trusting but it is a closed unit with a specialized staff and all private rooms so if anything went missing they would probably know who took it. Now if I was in my local hospital I might not but my husband used to take his kindle and cell phone with him when he went in and nothing was ever missing. Our hospital has gone to private rooms now so I don't really think theft would be a problem. I wouldn't recommend it in the ER or outpatient surgery areas.

Just thought I would tell you that at the hospital the day 1 after surgery they washed my hair with what looked like a shower cap put on my head, rubbed it on my head which caused sudsing and then after a nice head massage took off the shower cap and dryed my hair with a towel and it worked really well. I took my first shower today and it felt really good to be able to do but felt quite weak doing it. But now clean and head washed again.

Back