• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

When did you go back to work?

I will be having surgery March 9 and am scheduled for 2 1/2 weeks off postop and then the plan is to go back to work. I work in a fairly busy ER has a charge nurse but I’m also a single mom and I definitely need to get back to work as soon as possible. What do y’all do and how soon did you go back to work?!?

I will be having surgery March 9 and am scheduled for 2 1/2 weeks off postop and then the plan is to go back to work. I work in a fairly busy ER has a charge nurse but I’m also a single mom and I definitely need to get back to work as soon as possible. What do y’all do and how soon did you go back to work?!?
I was able to take a full 4 weeks off and it was great because healing wiped me out. I needed a nap mid-day, which is very unlike me. If you have to return to work sooner, you should feel fine but may get tired mid-shift. But everyone is different, you may have plenty of energy.

1 week to go, you must be getting excited! :)

I'm a teacher so I scheduled my surgery for during the summer so I wouldn't have to take time off. I did a week long conference though 2 weeks after surgery and it was fine. I packed small meals which at the time was pudding, yogurt, or applesauce lol. What I would worry about with your job is that it sounds physical and you aren't supposed to lift over 10 pounds for the first few weeks and then over 25 pounds for the next like 4 weeks. I might be slightly off on those times, double check with your Dr!

I took a full 6 weeks off. But I was in a unique position, in that between my short term disability and CA State disability, I got 100% pay for the entire time. I went back to work today.

I can't imagine going back after 2 or 2.5 weeks. I was very tired during that time. Remember, you will be on a VERY low calorie diet at that point, and your energy levels and even cognitive functions may be low. I know that mine were.

Make sure that you take all of your breaks and lunches, and get all of your water in. I am assuming as an ER charge nurse, things can get crazy, and stopping to drink and eat will be difficult. But you HAVE to do it. You are no good to anyone if you go down too!

You may want to check with your HR department and get on FMLA. With that, they will have to make reasonable accommodations for you... which could include longer or more frequent breaks. I am not a lawyer, but I am a manager. You may want to consult an attorney about your rights.

I was able to take a full 4 weeks off and it was great because healing wiped me out. I needed a nap mid-day, which is very unlike me. If you have to return to work sooner, you should feel fine but may get tired mid-shift. But everyone is different, you may have plenty of energy.

1 week to go, you must be getting excited! :)
I’m excited and very nervous. Not super scared just nerves nervous. I felt like it couldn’t get here fast enough and now that it is here I’m like crap! So much to do!!!

I took a full 6 weeks off. But I was in a unique position, in that between my short term disability and CA State disability, I got 100% pay for the entire time. I went back to work today.

I can't imagine going back after 2 or 2.5 weeks. I was very tired during that time. Remember, you will be on a VERY low calorie diet at that point, and your energy levels and even cognitive functions may be low. I know that mine were.

Make sure that you take all of your breaks and lunches, and get all of your water in. I am assuming as an ER charge nurse, things can get crazy, and stopping to drink and eat will be difficult. But you HAVE to do it. You are no good to anyone if you go down too!

You may want to check with your HR department and get on FMLA. With that, they will have to make reasonable accommodations for you... which could include longer or more frequent breaks. I am not a lawyer, but I am a manager. You may want to consult an attorney about your rights.
I’m definitely gonna be taking it easy. I’m a very busy at my job but I also have such a great crew that I think I will have a lot of help. I will just do my best to listen to my body and if I have to be off longer I suppose I will deal with that. Just so curious how it will be after surgery you know!

I’m definitely gonna be taking it easy. I’m a very busy at my job but I also have such a great crew that I think I will have a lot of help. I will just do my best to listen to my body and if I have to be off longer I suppose I will deal with that. Just so curious how it will be after surgery you know!

Well, today was my first day back and it was good. Busy, but good. I have a very sedentary job, so I had to go for a walk to get steps in and keep moving. That was one of my problems pre-op too.

I made pre-portioned meals and snacks: pureed soup, 4 oz of cottage cheese, a small container of yogurt, etc. I also ordered protien shakes, protien water, and bone broth to keep in my office when I need it.

All of that and it was still hard to remember to eat on schedule. I only got in 3 meals/snacks at work today, and I should have had 5. I was busy on calls and in meetings, and it just slipped my mind that I should take care of myself.

So I can only imagine how it will be for you! Remember to take care of yourself, and you will be fine. Water FIRST! Dehydration will make you go down before anything else. Then make sure you eat, protien first. Rest when your body tells you it needs it, regardless of the emergencies around you. You can't help anyone if the first responders are tending to you!

Good luck, and tell us how it goes!

Well, today was my first day back and it was good. Busy, but good. I have a very sedentary job, so I had to go for a walk to get steps in and keep moving. That was one of my problems pre-op too.

I made pre-portioned meals and snacks: pureed soup, 4 oz of cottage cheese, a small container of yogurt, etc. I also ordered protien shakes, protien water, and bone broth to keep in my office when I need it.

All of that and it was still hard to remember to eat on schedule. I only got in 3 meals/snacks at work today, and I should have had 5. I was busy on calls and in meetings, and it just slipped my mind that I should take care of myself.

So I can only imagine how it will be for you! Remember to take care of yourself, and you will be fine. Water FIRST! Dehydration will make you go down before anything else. Then make sure you eat, protien first. Rest when your body tells you it needs it, regardless of the emergencies around you. You can't help anyone if the first responders are tending to you!

Good luck, and tell us how it goes!
How many days post op are you? And yes I will definitely have to stay on top of drinking and eating. I’m gonna have to be pretty creative with types of foods. I will need a lot of ready to go stuff that is still healthy. I won’t have quick access to a fridge or microwave.

I am 19 days post-op for the VSG. I took 10 days off before I went back to work. I work an office job. The first day I felt real good and was excited to be back. Day 2 I was physically drain and felt unwell, but I powered through and finished the day. By the end of the week I felt like myself again. I keep my protein water and shakes in a small fridge in my office. I also have a candle warmer at my desk that use to keep my mug of chicken broth warm so I am not running to microwave to reheat. I have my water bottle and insulated cup with ice at my desk.

I am 19 days post-op for the VSG. I took 10 days off before I went back to work. I work an office job. The first day I felt real good and was excited to be back. Day 2 I was physically drain and felt unwell, but I powered through and finished the day. By the end of the week I felt like myself again. I keep my protein water and shakes in a small fridge in my office. I also have a candle warmer at my desk that use to keep my mug of chicken broth warm so I am not running to microwave to reheat. I have my water bottle and insulated cup with ice at my desk.
Yes! That’s awesome. Smart with that candle warmer!!! Lol. I was thinking of buying a good thermos for my chicken broth . What type of protein water are you using?

I'm not a big advocate of protein-loading with liquids and concoctions. I prefer measuring and cooking, knowing the nutritional value of things in advance. So I've never used Premier Protein water, though it's been discussed a lot here by many members, and it seems everyone has his/her own tastes. So I just thought I'd check the nutritional value of it, and WOW, that's amazing. 20 grams of protein and only 90 calories? that blows the 10 = 1 calorie to gram ratio out of the water. But it's so weird that water contains milk. I'll have to pick some of this up next time I'm in a grocery store.

Back