• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

When did you go back to work?

I will be having surgery March 9 and am scheduled for 2 1/2 weeks off postop and then the plan is to go back to work. I work in a fairly busy ER has a charge nurse but I’m also a single mom and I definitely need to get back to work as soon as possible. What do y’all do and how soon did you go back to work?!?
I was able to take a full four weeks off and I used the time to prepare for returning to work with food preparation and mental preparation.

I think I'm going to write to those companies and ask for a coupon for a sample. They charged a LOT of money for flavored water, and I have a picky palate. I might just take one sip and dump it out. But I am curious and I think I need to increase my protein so it's more consistent daily. I have appetite problems and some days I go all day without eating, then try to make something good for dinner, but end up doing a half-assed job and just eating whatever crap I make, then going to bed. This is related to my mood, for those of you who don't know me or what I've been going through for several months. until I can kick myself into a more positive gear, I.... i don't know what. i don't know how to be positive anymore. i'm just sad all the time.

I think I'm going to write to those companies and ask for a coupon for a sample. They charged a LOT of money for flavored water, and I have a picky palate. I might just take one sip and dump it out. But I am curious and I think I need to increase my protein so it's more consistent daily. I have appetite problems and some days I go all day without eating, then try to make something good for dinner, but end up doing a half-assed job and just eating whatever crap I make, then going to bed. This is related to my mood, for those of you who don't know me or what I've been going through for several months. until I can kick myself into a more positive gear, I.... i don't know what. i don't know how to be positive anymore. i'm just sad all the time.
I have had an issue with not being the most positive or in the most positive mood/energy. I have always found that for me there is one single trigger that has basically made me feel that way and then it gets out of control and affects my whole world. I try to ask my self every time I do something if this is something that would really bother me under normal circumstances and if not I make a conscious effort to BE positive even if I don’t fell it. I talked to a dr friend of mine at work and he said depression is contagious and the HABIT of being depressed is as hard to break as nicotine. He recommended that I find a way everyday to list 3 things I’m grateful for, a good deed I’ve done, and a funny/good thing that happened during my day in a journal everyday. Also I did a 30 day regimen of positivity. Basically, for 30 days I did not allow my self to bitch, piss, moan, or complain about anything to anyone and instead respond with positivity and looking on the bright side. So as bad or irritating things happen (mostly at my job I found) instead of complaining I slapped a fake smile and went on. The depressing/frustrating/irritating bad thing passed whether I was was positive or negative about it I so now I have realized that the negative mostly just hurts me. So I stopped. I know it sounds impossible when you are the one in the trees (depression) but if you could just go 30 days fighting it tooth and nail it makes a world of difference. Good luck! I’m hopeful for you.

I have had an issue with not being the most positive or in the most positive mood/energy. I have always found that for me there is one single trigger that has basically made me feel that way and then it gets out of control and affects my whole world. I try to ask my self every time I do something if this is something that would really bother me under normal circumstances and if not I make a conscious effort to BE positive even if I don’t fell it. I talked to a dr friend of mine at work and he said depression is contagious and the HABIT of being depressed is as hard to break as nicotine. He recommended that I find a way everyday to list 3 things I’m grateful for, a good deed I’ve done, and a funny/good thing that happened during my day in a journal everyday. Also I did a 30 day regimen of positivity. Basically, for 30 days I did not allow my self to bitch, piss, moan, or complain about anything to anyone and instead respond with positivity and looking on the bright side. So as bad or irritating things happen (mostly at my job I found) instead of complaining I slapped a fake smile and went on. The depressing/frustrating/irritating bad thing passed whether I was was positive or negative about it I so now I have realized that the negative mostly just hurts me. So I stopped. I know it sounds impossible when you are the one in the trees (depression) but if you could just go 30 days fighting it tooth and nail it makes a world of difference. Good luck! I’m hopeful for you.
This is wonderful advice for all of us. We tend to dwell on the negitave and it casts a shadow on all the good that happens in a day. Getting sober taught me to be grateful but noting a good deed and a positive experience every day along with the things I'm grateful for is a really interesting addition. Thank you for sharing this. :)

Lol, I was replying to Krystal so the water I tried that I didn't like was was protein 2o! I tried the premier protein water also and didn't care for it either. Apparently I'm not a fan of protein water! I did buy some of those lemon packets from Amazon to try, they just came in the mail. There is no protein in them though, they are just to spice up the water a bit. It feels like spring here lately so I'm in the mood for lemonade :)

depression is contagious and the HABIT of being depressed is as hard to break as nicotine. Good luck! I’m hopeful for you.
Ordinarily I'd be able to step out of a depression, since I take meds for it and get regular mental health therapy. But two things happened that I can't change. I've been in various forms of cast since taking a bad fall on 11/8/2019, almost four months ago. I'm in constant pain from all the breaks in my wrist and torn tissue from falling on my left hand. I can barely do anything, and just was ordered NOT to start using the hand until my PT says it's okay. I thought I would get the cast off today, but I have to wear it for another week, and start physical therapy right now.

But the fall I took downtown had to be related to this horrible event that resulted in my son, my only child, cutting off all contact with me. I didn't do a thing to him. He backed out on a housing deal the night before we were supposed to sign a lease. Most of my stuff is in storage ($100 a month) because I needed to make room for him to live here for a month, and I paid his rent the month before that so we would have no obstacles. He also became a licensed caregiver and that was why he was going to live in. He & I have always had such a great, loving relationship, but he just totally screwed me over with this.

As angry as I could be just about that, the pain has cleft my heart in two. He's avoiding me because he knows what he did was bad (I just gave you the Reader's Digest version) and he can't face me. I've reached out, contacted professionals in conflict resolution and his new girlfriend has even reached out to me, since she's a barista at my favorite coffee shop. I have no family other than my son so the depth of my loneliness and grieving is bottomless.

Every night I plan to get up in the morning and start a new day, and I assign myself a task. Every morning when I do get up, I go sit in a chair and watch tv until it's time to go to bed again. I rarely go outside, even to get my mail. I have a neighbor who disturbs me occasionally and I'm grateful to have her, because it takes my focus away for a short time.

I just came from my hand surgeon's office where I had my first PT session. Then I went to the Capitol Hill Trader Joe's to stock up on food so I can hide out here longer. Between my agony over my son and my constant pain and fear of COVID19, I barely function. But in TJ's elevator going up and down, I chatted and laughed with the other occupants, even though I didn't feel happy a bit.

This is actually getting worse and I'm on the verge of dumping everything I own and moving to Canada or Japan. I know, two strange places, but that's the only place I'd want to be, besides Seattle. These thoughts are substitutes for hope, since my hope has all but disappeared and I don't see any future.

To include a bariatric angle in this long mess, the one thing I haven't done is binge-eat. I haven't been able to do that since surgery, so I have no outlet for my feelings. I just have to live with them. When it's time, my positive energy will rise again, but for now, consider my grief as you would a widow's and realize there is no advice that will make it better. If there was, I'd already be better.

Ordinarily I'd be able to step out of a depression, since I take meds for it and get regular mental health therapy. But two things happened that I can't change. I've been in various forms of cast since taking a bad fall on 11/8/2019, almost four months ago. I'm in constant pain from all the breaks in my wrist and torn tissue from falling on my left hand. I can barely do anything, and just was ordered NOT to start using the hand until my PT says it's okay. I thought I would get the cast off today, but I have to wear it for another week, and start physical therapy right now.

But the fall I took downtown had to be related to this horrible event that resulted in my son, my only child, cutting off all contact with me. I didn't do a thing to him. He backed out on a housing deal the night before we were supposed to sign a lease. Most of my stuff is in storage ($100 a month) because I needed to make room for him to live here for a month, and I paid his rent the month before that so we would have no obstacles. He also became a licensed caregiver and that was why he was going to live in. He & I have always had such a great, loving relationship, but he just totally screwed me over with this.

As angry as I could be just about that, the pain has cleft my heart in two. He's avoiding me because he knows what he did was bad (I just gave you the Reader's Digest version) and he can't face me. I've reached out, contacted professionals in conflict resolution and his new girlfriend has even reached out to me, since she's a barista at my favorite coffee shop. I have no family other than my son so the depth of my loneliness and grieving is bottomless.

Every night I plan to get up in the morning and start a new day, and I assign myself a task. Every morning when I do get up, I go sit in a chair and watch tv until it's time to go to bed again. I rarely go outside, even to get my mail. I have a neighbor who disturbs me occasionally and I'm grateful to have her, because it takes my focus away for a short time.

I just came from my hand surgeon's office where I had my first PT session. Then I went to the Capitol Hill Trader Joe's to stock up on food so I can hide out here longer. Between my agony over my son and my constant pain and fear of COVID19, I barely function. But in TJ's elevator going up and down, I chatted and laughed with the other occupants, even though I didn't feel happy a bit.

This is actually getting worse and I'm on the verge of dumping everything I own and moving to Canada or Japan. I know, two strange places, but that's the only place I'd want to be, besides Seattle. These thoughts are substitutes for hope, since my hope has all but disappeared and I don't see any future.

To include a bariatric angle in this long mess, the one thing I haven't done is binge-eat. I haven't been able to do that since surgery, so I have no outlet for my feelings. I just have to live with them. When it's time, my positive energy will rise again, but for now, consider my grief as you would a widow's and realize there is no advice that will make it better. If there was, I'd already be better.
I’m sorry about everything you’re dealing with. We’re here for you when you want to vent and share.

Lol, I was replying to Krystal so the water I tried that I didn't like was was protein 2o! I tried the premier protein water also and didn't care for it either. Apparently I'm not a fan of protein water! I did buy some of those lemon packets from Amazon to try, they just came in the mail. There is no protein in them though, they are just to spice up the water a bit. It feels like spring here lately so I'm in the mood for lemonade :)
I completely agree Annie. I tried a few varieties of these waters and couldn't take more than a sip of any. They are a great idea in theory but I didn't like any.

Back