• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

When would you like to have surgery???

Kperion

My 1st apt was on 4/27/12 , on 5/9/12 I had a nutrition class, on 5/23/ I had my Psych eval and all the per op test in between .But yesterday the surgery coordinator called and asked me when would I like surgery will June work for you??? I was in blown away. I had no idea I would be moving along so fast. Now I just have to lose a couple pounds and I get my date in June or early July. I'm still in shock.. I'm starting to get nervous and scared . Is that normal??

Last edited:
Yes, most of us felt that way. It was a big decision to make to have WLS and it is a life altering event. Your emotions will be running rampant but that's a good thing. You'll be happy, sad, apprehensive, scared, nervous, excited. I'm happy that you were able to get such a quick surgey date :) Spend a little time getting your house organized to make things easier for you after surgery. You also might want to go shopping for the things on your meal plan so you don't have to go to the store for a couple of weeks (or a month) after surgery. You won't be up to doing much because you will be tired and you need to rest and get enough sleep.

Before you know it your surgery will be over and you will be on your way to a healthier new life. Make sure you come back to the forum to let everyone know how you are doing. Feel free to ask questions or to just voice your concerns or share anything you would like to talk about.

You are experiencing all the things that I am going through right now too. My surgery is a month away and I am wishing it was here already, though I have to get my room cleaned out because it is cluttered because I have no room for anything. Anyway, what exactly is VSG? I haven't seen this one before. Just take one day at a time and you can vent to us on here anytime you need to, ask questions, we will be glad to answer anything if we know the answer to.

Gloria

All your emotions are normal. First I was very excited then I became anxious and nervouse the closer it got then I was scared and the night before surgery I was on my liquid diet and I just wanted it over so I wouldn't be hungry anymore. It has been a wonderful journey I feel great now and I am able to go do things with ease that I haven't been able to do in many years. Come back and let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Such a great question. It's so nice to see others feel the same way and to hear that it's normal. I will be having the RNY in late June-early July also. Maybe we can keep in touch and "compare notes" since we'll be on about the same timeline. Feel free to message me if you'd like to try the "buddy" thing. Take care and good luck.
-Jenny

Thank you all so much.your comments really mean a lot to me. It's so nice to have people who really understand.
Gloria VSG is the vertical sleeve gastrectomy,about 85% of the stomach is removed and that's it.
Jenny I could use as many buddies as I can find. Do you have to lose any weight before surgery ?

I feel your hesitation and shock. I've been through the steps so quickly myself. I got the phone call to schedule surgery on 05/21/12 & took the first date available 06/06/12. I have an additional situation that need surgical intervention but need to have the roux n y along with it to help avoid additional surgeries on my large, hiatal hernia.

I've been following a mock diet like the one I'd be on after all the surgery & am now on the pre-op diet. I've lost about 10 lbs so far but need to ramp up the excercise. To add to the mix, I dislocated my right shoulder just shy of 2 weeks ago.

I have my history and pre-op physical on Wed am and then the pre-admission testing Friday with surgery a week from this Wed.

Shock, awe, freaking out - yep, been there and phasing into reality and getting prepared in all ways possible.

It's okay not to jump at the first date; ask as many questions as you need to before making your decision.
Go to a support group meeting, too if possible.

Best wishes for your outcome; prayers & peace to you.

Robergnm I know the feeling. It seems so fast, I just started this journey and I'm moving along so quickly. Good luck to you on next Wed. My sugery is on Thursday..

Wow I wish I would get a phone call like that, I just finished my appointments on July 17,2012 and am waiting for them to call me and give me a date. I really would like to have it soon before I go back to work. Hope everything is working out for you and how you felt was normal.

Back