• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Where are you in your journey?

I'm brand new to this site, thought I could use some support from people that have been/ are going through the same thing.

I'm in Michigan
I am 6 weeks post op
Had the sleeve. Originally planned for bypass but due to age and lack of health probs my surgeon encouraged the sleeve.

This was all so much easier when it was just liquids post op lol.
Since moving to solid food I am struggling with portions. In my mind I know I can only eat like 2 bites of anything if I'm lucky however when I'm standing there plating, my mind still thinks, "that's not enough". This is what I am struggling with most. I'm sure I'm not alone and just need the time to establish new thought processes. I'm glad I can only eat such a small amount, just frustrated that my mind still thinks this way.
This was probably not the right thread to post this on.
Anyone else same? Anyone get through these thoughts?

I'm brand new to this site, thought I could use some support from people that have been/ are going through the same thing.

I'm in Michigan
I am 6 weeks post op
Had the sleeve. Originally planned for bypass but due to age and lack of health probs my surgeon encouraged the sleeve.

This was all so much easier when it was just liquids post op lol.
Since moving to solid food I am struggling with portions. In my mind I know I can only eat like 2 bites of anything if I'm lucky however when I'm standing there plating, my mind still thinks, "that's not enough". This is what I am struggling with most. I'm sure I'm not alone and just need the time to establish new thought processes. I'm glad I can only eat such a small amount, just frustrated that my mind still thinks this way.
This was probably not the right thread to post this on.
Anyone else same? Anyone get through these thoughts?
I know what you mean. There's been times when I've realized I've put too much on my plate and take it off before I eat. I guess it take time for the mind to adjust. I still struggle with eating too fast, I am working on it but often I forget. So what happens when your mind says "that's not enough"? Do you attempt to eat too much? I can only say that a few time I took one more bit thinking it would be fine and it wasn't. Then I pay the price of feeling uncomfortable. Sometimes we just have to learn the hard way! Anyway, welcome to our group!

Welcome, Claudia & Nich0le

Less is more. Give yourself a break. Don't make it harder on yourself.

You've used the best tool available to get here. Most people never lose their "fat brain."

But over time, it will get easier though it doesn't go away like magic.

And the bottom line is, so what? If you put more on your plate than you can eat, you're the same as everyone else in the USA. Fortunately, you have the sharpest tool in the shed to work with. Don't let your fat brain make you feel bad.

If you encounter a negative thought, try to flatten it with a positive. They have equal weight, equal power, like black versus white. You may have to argue with yourself, but you're already doing that. Try to change the message through repetition. Your fat brain will automatically, reflexively send a failure message, but your healthy brain is desperate for love, support, esteem.

Feed your healthy brain.

NC, approaching my 1 year "surgiversary" Dec 2! I had the RNY Gastric bypass. I am at my goal weight and have been holding it for about 2 months. I have been very lucky to have had no serious problems (learned pretty quickly what happens when I eat too fast or too much!!). I had been walking upwards of 7 miles per day, with some days over 10 miles. As the weather has changed, the cumulative pounding on the pavement has been rough on my knees. Add in issues with my wife (she has mental health issues that make the world revolve around her regardless of what is happening to others), and the past few weeks have be a struggle to hold on to my success. I have been blessed with a son living with us who is a great cook, wants to eat healthy and is very encouraging.

Seattle, WA
13 years post-op
RYGB, open procedure

115 pounds down, maintained with occasional ups and downs.

Add in issues with my wife (she has mental health issues that make the world revolve around her regardless of what is happening to others), and the past few weeks have be a struggle to hold on to my success. I have been blessed with a son living with us who is a great cook, wants to eat healthy and is very encouraging.
Congratulations, Taxman! What are your weight milestones? HW, SW, CW?

Your son IS a blessing. I'm so happy for you, and proud of him AND you. Blessings!!!!

Michigan
One month into the preoperative evaluation (had 1 month weigh in with a total of 6 months required by my insurance, have had nutrition evaluation, abdominal CT scan because I have multiple abdominal hernias, and psych testing.
Probably gastric sleeve, unclear now if this will be laparoscopic or open due to hernias. Surgeon states he does not like to repair the hernias until after the weight loss has stabilized.
Height 5' 3 1/2" Starting weight 244.5 lb.
Currently logging and walking 2 miles/day.

Back