• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Wherever you are in your journey, what do you do to motivate yourself?

I set goals. Right now I try not to drive to work. I try to get my exercising by commuting by bus (walk to bus and work), ride my bike, combinations. Our city has a raffle for those that participate. When I go out to eat, I try to see how many meals I can get out of my order.

My motivation is no more pain! I was wheelchair bound and couldn't walk. My body was so broken down from years of losing and gaining weight so frequently, that when I gained a monumental amount of weight, my body couldn't support it anymore. Prior to my Gastric Bypass Surgery, I made a vow to myself and my higher power that I would never allow myself to become handicapped ever again! With this new tool that was given to me in order to take this weight off once and for all, I was truly going to make this lifestyle a way of life for the rest of my life. There were many chances for me during my life to maintain my weight, but with the drastic measures I have taken to rid myself of the excessive amount of weight once and for all, I'm very determined to stay thin for the rest of my life. Learning from my past mistakes, and seeking professional help this time in order to maintain my thin body, is what I have to do to stay where I'm at. Also I look at my before picture a lot to remind me of the pain and suffering I felt for 15 years. I never want to be there ever again. My life was on hold, now I'm free and I love my new-found freedom!

I rode a horse yesterday. The first time in 40 years. My health is the big motivation but I love the "little successes" > I love being able to sit in a booth at a restaurant, ride a bike, hike. I am so thankful. I too love my new freedom.

That's fantastict! I'm so happy to hear that you're living your life the way you've always wanted to! There are so many new-found freedoms that come with this weight loss! Slowly I'm moving into the groove of my old passions, which have been a blessing to me. I know as well how wonderful it is to be able to sit in a booth at a restaurant and fit comfortably now, or getting into my car without my tummy hitting the steering wheel, or walking anywhere and not being in anyone's way. Life has a new meaning and purpose and I'm so grateful to be able to move forward with my life.

I like to run and hike so one of the things that I am doing to keep me motivated now are fun runs, some folks race I am just along for the fun of it, I just finished a ten miler Saturday and ther is another run at the end of the month, I am leaning toward the 1/2 marathon. I feel healthy now and that is also a great motivator. :cool: Tom

My Motivation is to be healthy and to be able to watch my youngest son have his first child, He just turned 2 that is what keeps me motivated really, Ive lost 48lbs already so I'm on a great road, some days are easier then others but you must keep your eye on the prize and work toward your goals everyday, on the 4th i will see the fitness lady again and get more exercise i can finally start doing after my surgery :)

i am just starting out. I am on here to learn all I can. Right now I am watching what I eat and keeping a journal. My first Dr. apointment is in July. I have a lot of health issues. He may not be able to do surgery. Will try to keep you up dated.

Back