• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Why can't I just do the diet?

Everyone you will have to excuse me I am sort of rambling on with my thoughts.... So I am taking steps to have surgery. And it scares me. It scares me that I won't ever be myself again! And I am thinking why does it have to take this dramatic surgery to follow a strict diet. Why can't I Start today.. Have a two week liquid diet to get going.. then eat the right things. I don't know its so hard to decide what to do.. So I am trying to motivate my self to do that.. I am also thinking maybe I will continue with the step for the surgery and try to do a strict diet myself. Eat healthy (in which my recently diagnoses diabetic fiance could use also) Eat less and less, and learn not to endulge so excessively or so frequently! :confused: I have to lose the weight either way for the surgery. And if I find myself doing it.. I may not do the surgery, and If I find I can't.... then go ahead with it. Can I get some ideas, what does your liquid diet consist of? Has anyone done this step? Has anyone succeeded? And did NOT go with surgery?Again sorry if this doesn't make complete sense!

Hello,
I definitely understand where you're coming from. I was very successful with the pre-surgery diet and lost 17 pounds on my own. I thought about surgery for more than 8 years before I got it. Honestly, it was the BEST decision I've made for myself. Here's why: I tried it all...Weight Watcher's...so many times I've lost count; Slim Fast; Atkin's; Diet pills (doctor prescribed and over the counter); Advocare; etc., etc., etc. The difference between what I've done before and now is that a "diet" is temporary. We always have good intentions, but relatively few of us can actually lose the large amount of weight we're hoping for. What the surgery is to me is a commitment to a new and healthy lifestyle. It's just a tool. I still have to do the work, but I know this "tool" is going to help me be more successful and less frustrated than I've been by my past efforts. It's completely up to you what you decide to do. The liquid part of the required diet after surgery gets old pretty quickly. You need lots of protein through supplement shakes every day so that your hair doesn't fall out. Protein can cause constipation, so you have to balance that with making sure you get enough fiber. I can tell you that I was never happier than when I could cut back on protein shakes and stop eating soup!! I'm fortunate that I've been able to eat anything I want, just in much smaller quantities and I have a lot more energy for working out. I work out 5 days a week for 25-30 minutes. I don't know if any of this helps you, but best of luck in your decision!

Jayhawkgirl i agree with you 100% you have the right answers, you're doing good with your weight loss already and the exercise you are totatly comminted and you'll reach your goal soon, keep up the good work, you're an inspiration to me, i need to finish my oatmeal and get on my exercise bike or treadmill. Hope your day is going well for you. Donna

Thank You. It does help.. honestly I have never really gone on a "diet" I did do weight watchers for awhile and lost a bit. I have never really fallen for any fad diets even though I am not happy with my weight, I know it is a matter of changing your habits and eat healthy. I have always known that. So I just knew in my heart, when I am ready... I will do what is necessary. And now my life if going on such a good track right now that I want to make it even better by making myself healthier to enjoy it even more! I guess the surgery would force me there and get me there faster. I never even seriously thought about the surgery until this year when my fiance's Doctor told us that the WLS is the only thing that he seen that can actually cure diabeties... Now I am not diabetic, yet, but I am sure it isn't long til I am. Runs strong in the family etc. Thank you again for your imput. It will help! :)

Preparing for surgery is a great motivational tool, I think that's why a lot of us succeed in the requirements for surgery. I did read about one woman who did so well in her pre-op phase, she decided against surgery. She met her goal weight with diet and exercise, and maintained 100lb weight loss. I am glad for her, but I think she's the exception, not the rule. It is very, very hard for a morbidly obese person to maintain 100+ weight loss without a drastic tool like WLS.
You should not have the surgery because anyone told you to do it. You should not have it until you are mentally and emotionally ready to make this big step, and you have to want it really, really badly. It is not a magic bullet. There is a lot of work involved for the rest of your life. Please talk to people who have had the surgery, and to online friends before you make a decision.

I saw my surgeon 10 years before I had my surgery. I just was not ready at that time. Needless to say many attempts to lose and maintain a weight were not successful. I guess I was more afraid of what would happen to me if I didn't have surgery. After regaining 50 pounds in 2 years, I had enough. My choice was strictly about health and mobility. I wanted to be able to play with my grandchildren. I have no regrets. I went apple picking with them in the fall and am able to get on the floor and play games. I am eating for health and have also gone back to yoga, which I love. That being said you have to be ready. I mean really ready mentally. This is not a quick fix. I will always have to be mindful of what and how much I eat. The surgery is a tool as mentioned. Take your time and make an informed decision.

You will be fine and you will say Boy do I feel good. I am healthy and I am losing weight. I exercise and I like it. You can only imagine this. But, trust me it happens and when it does you feel like you are on cloud nine. Its a piece of cake no pun intended lol. Go and fear not. You can do it.
Hugs
Angie

Wow, I'm right where you are, wishing there were some other way to lose the weight, going back to the same mindset that got me here - such as, all I have to do is eat healthy, park further from the door, count calories, count carbs, count fat grams, eat sugar free this and low fat that, OH MY GOD! Here's how I'm starting to see the whole mess. Some people get fat, some people don't, only God knows why, and I actually doubt that he's in company that's shaking their fingers and tsk-tsking at us. If diets worked, the multi-billion dollar diet industry would collapse. We morbidly obese goddesses (and gods) have a physical condition -- sure, we make it worse when we overeat sometimes, but we didn't get this fat just by sometimes overindulging. We were born with (or accidentally developed somewhere along the line) a tendency to pack on the pounds at an abnormal rate. It's not a moral failing, it's not a character flaw, it's a physical, medical condition. There's a natural limit to most people's ability to have any real, long term effect on our condition by any treatment - including self treatment - short of surgery. We're lucky to have the option. The way I see it, I'm already organizing by life around my diabetes, my sleep apnea, my joint pain. If I have live with a handicap for the rest of my life, it might as well be the single handicap of having to manage a pouch, rather than the multiple handicaps caused by morbid obesity. Forge ahead, don't let anyone stop you from doing what you need to do to save your health and your life, and the quality of your future. (Sorry. Sometimes I get on a roll and just preach!)

Everyone you will have to excuse me I am sort of rambling on with my thoughts.... So I am taking steps to have surgery. And it scares me. It scares me that I won't ever be myself again! And I am thinking why does it have to take this dramatic surgery to follow a strict diet. Why can't I Start today.. Have a two week liquid diet to get going.. then eat the right things. I don't know its so hard to decide what to do.. So I am trying to motivate my self to do that.. I am also thinking maybe I will continue with the step for the surgery and try to do a strict diet myself. Eat healthy (in which my recently diagnoses diabetic fiance could use also) Eat less and less, and learn not to endulge so excessively or so frequently! :confused: I have to lose the weight either way for the surgery. And if I find myself doing it.. I may not do the surgery, and If I find I can't.... then go ahead with it. Can I get some ideas, what does your liquid diet consist of? Has anyone done this step? Has anyone succeeded? And did NOT go with surgery?Again sorry if this doesn't make complete sense!

The statistics show that only three percent of people who lose weight are able to keep the weight off. That's a fact. Over the years I have lost a ton of weight literally but have always bounced back to where I began or worse. You maybe one of the three percent. And you know your past history better than anyone else.

Will you become a different person if you have the surgery? Perhaps, some people lapse into bitter resentment and misery because they are comfortable with food controlling them and they were never really ready for the commitment needed for the journey. Most people with the commitment, in my opinion come out better and stronger because food has lost the power to control their lives.

The question then becomes, are you ready to change? That is solely up to you.

regards

johnscrystal5 you are the only one who can decide if you are ready. I have been looking into the surgery for 8 years and plan to have surgery in May. I see it something like this, we all need to make investments and this time I am going to make an investment in my health. As far as a weight loss plan If you have a smartphone try downloading an app. I use noom. I can track my food and steps taken during the day. It even has color coded levels to let you know if you are eating healthy. I wish you the best because I know what you are going through as we all do. Hang in there you will know when you are ready.
Best wishes

In my opinion the feelings your having are a good thing. The decision to have WLS shouldn't be hasty. It's a huge life change. When and if you get to that point where you're" sick and tired of being sick and tired" you will know what to do. I considered WLS surgery on and off for 15 years before having gastric bypass. Sometimes I think why didn't I do this sooner but I know in my heart I wasn't ready before. At 2 months out I feel great! I lost weight pre surgery but I cheated a lot. I couldn't really make the necessary changes to be successful long term without the tool of WLS. It's hard to explain but something big changed in me. I've read that there are hormonal changes that occur as a result of gastric bypass. This may be something to look into to help explain why it's so successful. Good luck and best wishes.

I just had surgery on the 2nd of April, 2013. I did the diet for two weeks prior to the surgery & lost about 13 lbs. However, you have to remember that that is like a liver shrink diet & not safe to do unless you are going through the surgery. You can' t do it longer than 2 wks. Please keep that in mind. If you want to get healthy then you have to do it all right or you will create another health problem in your life. Good luck to you.

Back