• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Wow, This is my first group, post and official announcement.

Johnkat

After several months of consideration and research I have moved forward with my decision to have gastric surgery. I discussed this with My PCP last year at my physical but decided on more time to try dieting at a medical weight loss cllinic. Of Course the other attemptes where unsuccessful, I don't know what made me think this time it would be successful. So here I am. January was the offical word from My Doctor that I have to do something about my situation. February was the Information session with a Bariatric Group. March and April were spent researching options and information gathering ending with my first appt with My Surgeon. Next thing I knew I had already completed 50% of the needed requirements and we scheduling a surgery date. I have to say I am glad it is all happening so fast. Other wise I might talk myself out of it. Medically I am already aware of post of condiditions and expectations since I have worked as a Hospital Staff Nurse for 14 years. Mentally I am finding it difficulty to be on the other side. I have had to leave my training behind and relinquish my self to the pataint side of life. This is not easy. I have been able to begin thinking about my surgery as a change need to save my life, since the 5 year out look at this point would be chronic terrible back pain with limited mobility, a failing liver from NAFLD and poor circulation in my legs. Realization is a B....! What I want most is those who understand what I have been, am about to and will be going thru!!!!! Of course my husband and children are all supportive. But the one thing they lack is the understanding. I hope to begin to form some lasting friendships here with the goup and give as much as I hope to get out of this experience. :cool:

Hi Johnkat, Welcome. Congratultions on your descision, like the rest of us I see you tried every other option more than once and came up with the same results every time. My doctor kept seeing a climb in my weght over the past 10 years with some loss with diets but I was never able to keep it off and I developed high PB and colestorol and I was feeling beat. At my last visit before I decided in WLS she asked me what I wanted to do and I mentiond bypass or the band and she thought that may be what I needed and wrote me a referal to a seminar and about 5 or 6 months later I was going in for my RnY surgey and within a week post op I was off my BP and cloestol medicine. I had some emotional rollercoastres inbetween but I knew I did it for me and to be healthy and enjoy life with my family. There is a great bunch of folks here and I find this a great support group inbetween my local support group meeting and I also feel I can be of some help to people with questions even if my answer is for somone to make sure and call their doctor ASAP or what vitamins or protien drink I like I think I it helps. I also learn a lot from others who are years out. Make sure to come back and let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

welsomce to the group, you will love it here! So much information and great ideas from others, enjoy the group!

Jessica

thankful for everyones support

i am aslo a nurse who ended up with a full disability for medical reasons. since my lapband was removed 19 months ago i have struggled with the idea of my last chance would be a gastric bypass. i am now on the liquid protein diet which has been extremely hard. may 16 th is,my,surgery date. my dr presented my case to his medical team and recommended the gastric bypass as my best option. i am double my normal wt. truly my focus is 90% for medical reasons. i still struggle with every day about this surgery but with all my health issues i know this is my chance to maybe live thee rest of my life at a normal wt, less medical issues, more energy, and yes looking better!!! lee0412

Hang in there Lee, the days will go by fast. You can do it, just remember you are doing this for you, so you can be healthier and to enjoy life with your family and friends. :cool: Tom

welcome to the group. I too was a nurse for about 30 years whenI had mine and the nurses that took care of mee were great It wsn't nearly as hard to be a patient. For one thing I had a MS pump and aside from the pain relief I was cool. write to us aften. there is a lot of collective knowledge here for you. feel to take advantage of it patti

Back